“Decent hotel in City”

Quality Hotel Marlow
Ranked #270 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Stayed there for 3 days. found the hotel good having all services and best part was its just 1 km from Mustafa Center (Little India) and being on the main road there was no problem for Taxi (we hired a Bentley). it would be good if they give free wi-fi. though rates were not too high (5s$ for 3 hours). strange thing was of keeping 50s$ as Security deposit. No Veg items in buffet breakfast. pool too was good and clean.

Rooms are bit small but clean and cool.

Room Tip: every room in this hotel is same having same view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Quality Hotel Marlow

Reviewed 18 November 2012

Location: 201 Balestier Road, Singapore 329926, Singapore.

Phone number: 65-6355-9988

Check in/out: 14:00/12:00

The Review:

The Quality Hotel Singapore was built in 2003. In addition to basic amenities, it has a pool, gym, banquet hall and conference room. The hotel is located in a nice part of Singapore, especially it is3 kilometers away from Orchard Road which is the biggest downtown area of Singapore. It is safe and pleasant to walk around, and there are plenty of local shops and so on.

In fact, I used the swimming pool, it is small, but no one was around. We had a great time there. Also there was good housekeeping and rooms were very clean, so we had a comfortable stay for 2 days. Moreover the hotel is reasonable for guests, and the staff are very friendly, and there are a lot of Japanese visitors. That’s why, our stay was great.

On the other hand, I had a few complaints during my stay. For example, the entire floor smelled of smoke and was noisy, and the restaurant was not delicious. Because there were not many kinds of food, and it was not neat. Also wi-fi was not for free, so I couldn’t use any mobile devices.

Overall, it was a comfortable stay, but there are a few problems. However there are a lot of great points. That's why the hotel is recommended to particular people.
If you don't want to spend much money for a hotel, and you don't care about hotel, resort atmosphere and so on, you'd better stay here.

I recommend it to the person who doesn't stay much in the hotel. For instance, backpacker, family, business, the person who can not speak English, travelers etc. However I don't want to recommend to a couple on a honeymoon or so on. Because it's very cheap, and you can enjoy staying here but you aren't able to savor the feelings of a resort atmosphere.

In conclusion, I really enjoyed my stay here and I will definitely recommend it to other particular people who will travel to Singapore. I think this hotel has excellent services, friendly staff and an affordable price, that’s why this is a good hotel to stay at. I will be coming back this hotel for my next trip for sure.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Apart from Hotel Ibis down the road, this the most decent and respectable hotel along Balestier Road. The other hotels are the dodgy type of hotels such as Hotel 81 which is rentable by the hour, Value Hotel (not as dodgy but rooms are small and the overall feel is not as pleasant) and the old, family-run typed of hotels. I cab a lot so not having an MRT really nearby is not a problem for me. Balestier Road is an interesting part of Singapore, with the old and new fuse nicely together. There are lots of eating places nearby, most notably the Whampoa market and hawker center which is frequented by many food-loving Singaporeans, and where the food is good, cheap and localized. The hotel is functional, and the rooms are clean and decent if all you need is a place to sleep, shower, and rest. Apart from two free bottles of mineral water, a complimentary copy of the island's national daily The Straits Times is also slide under your door daily - except for Saturday where the paper is laid outside your door as the paper is too thick to slide under. The hotel is also well-known for its Taiwan porridge buffet which is frequented by many locals. The bar has a nightly band performance, and the music tends to be a bit loud, but once you take the elevator up to your room, the noise fades away. Breakfast is included in the room rates, and the spread is fairly decent, with scrambled eggs, bread, croissants, coffee, cereals, sausages, and a few local selections such as stir fried noodles, fried rice, and sweet bean paste buns. There are two Guardian pharmacies within walking distance of the hotel, as well as a traditional bread shop which still sells loaves of sliced bread baked the traditional way. Balestier Road is also famous for its tow sar piah, or bean paste pastries, sold by shops located at the end of the road closer to Thomson Road. A shop diagonally opposite the hotel sells good rice dumplings. Housekeeping is good and efficient, and even though reception staff are not exceptionally friendly, especially the Chinese nationals, they satisfy your requests rather quickly and efficiency. The swimming pool was a let down though. I won't call it a swimming pool. It's really the size of a pond. But having wireless internet was a plus point for me.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ria_So1013
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We stayed here with family for three days and had a great time. This place has good restaurants. The MRT station is in close proximity and east walk. You can stroll around this place and check some not so frequented parts of Singapore. The staff is very helpful and efficient.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This hotel has a very relaxing atmosphere, all of the staff are very polite and willing to help with carrying your bags to helping with information on any subject you need to know. The hotel is clean comfortable, room is average size and bed very comfortable. Restaurant has buffet meals all day, but does not cater for the western diet. All meals are asian or indian. For me I was in seventh heaven. Hotel has aisian and american beers, french wines, and most spirits, I found this very expensive. A short walk down the road is an underground supermarket which sell other choices of wines, beer or spirits. Hotel is 10mins taxi drive $10.00sp from city, and 5mins from Orchid Rd $5.00sp.Watch out for the taxi drivers will drive you all over for extra money. Buses stop just outside of Hotel. But I found that everything you want is just a short walk away, supermarkets on most corners, large food court up the road, chemist, and cheap clothing store.

Room Tip: Go for a room on a higher floor, best view towards the city, very pretty at night.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Came for business for 5 days. Had an offer for a really nice hotel nearby but was 50€ per night more expensive. So I chose to stay here instead and found my stay pleasent!

Good points :

1) Room 1018 was completely fine! Clean and big bed. Small bathroom but completely fine for my stay.

2) Pleasent staff.

3) Cheaper alternative. Near to Novena MRT stop but it's a bit of a walk (15 mins). Personally, I don't mind that but I wouldn't come with my suitcase by MRT. The walk would have been long if I had taken the MRT to the hotel when I arrived instead of the taxi!

4) Room service is good (Char Kway Teow was yummy!!!)

5) Very good wifi in the bedroom too. Exactly what I need when I go abroad on business.

In general, I would definitely stay here again. For the price, I was more than satisfied with the hotel. Very easy to get a taxi too (no long queues for taxis...again, good for me as I came here for work and needed to get around easily!).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AmykWong
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Unfortunately for me, I had to stay in Singapore unexpectedly in the middle of the Grand Prix, right when profiteering by hotels is at its max. I paid $230 for a single room and boy was I disappointed! The rooms are small and ugly, the entire floor smelled of smoke, there was no complimentary water, the Tv was crappy and on top of all that I had to pay $16 extra just to use the wifi! I have stayed at hotels all over Asia and this is by far the worst. I have never had to pay for wifi before. I was also surprised at the terrible standard of English spoken by the staff. The breakfast was abysmal, I think just about everything came out of a can. The gym is a complete joke...one bike and an ancient treadmill does not count as a gym! The pool is also more like a plunge pool. I always like to finish my reviews with something positive, so I will say the vegetarian restaurant was really good, although I understand this is not actually owned by the hotel! Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo