“Good Quiet overnight staycation”

Ranked #277 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We decided to try this hotel for an overnight stay because we would like to explore the neighborhood shops.

It is so nice to just go back to our room after the vegetarian steamboat dinner buffet in one of the restaurant inside the hotel premises. You should try going to Lotus Vegetarian Restaurant.

What I like about the hotel is that it is very convenient to check in and out. The front desk are very attentive and accommodating. We were given a room in the 11th floor, our package comes with free mini bar (not bad since we are just staying overnight and only 2 of us...consists of 2 packet of peanuts, 2 canned drinks and 1 bar of kitkat), bottle of red wine, free buffet breakfast for 2, $10 food voucher and a late check out time.

Hotel Cafe offer reasonably price local cuisine lunch and dinner buffets. I like their laksa and popiah a lot.

Breakfast buffet area very crowded and food tend to run out fast. The staff are good enough to re-fill the trays. Not much food variety when we get there at 9am (it opens at 7am-10am i think) but good enough to fill me up. I like the honeydew, watermelon, toast white bread and croissant with jam and butter. There's also some bacon (i think it is turkey bacon) and mashed potatoes. I saw porridge, cereals, baked beans and some other breakfast food. Coffee,teas and some apple juice also available.

Location is okay if you are going to Orchard, Bugis area to explore. There's a busstop nearby. I think about 10-min travelling time from the hotel. No real tourist spot in the area that I can think of, tho. You should go to 'House of Tau Sar Piah" it is along Balestier Road and try their baked items.

There are several nice eating places nearby, along Balestier Road. Just take a stroll or take the bus.

The size of the room is a bit in the small side for the price we pay. Hotel feels a bit old but it is well maintained and the bed is very good for sleeping. I like solid bed, my back doesn't hurt. I like the pillow as well. TV channels option okay, I'm glad they have at least one english movie channel that I'm able to watch and catch up with movies I missed seeing in the cinema.

Bathroom size is okay, bit small. The shower is separated by a glass partition and there is a movable shower head. No bidet or water hose next to the toilet seat so it is frustrating if you prefer to use water aside from the paper roll.

Instant coffee and tea with the portable electric kettle are also provided. Newspaper quietly given through your door in the morning.

Aircon is very good. The place is cool.

I'll go back here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bluedestiny
Quality_Hotel_SG, Marcom Executive at Quality Hotel Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your review.

We very much appreciate your feedback and insights from your recent stay.

We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed the experience of exploring the old world charm of this vicinity.

Quality Hotel Marlow is within close proximity to United Square, Novena shopping Mall, Orchard Road, Singapore Expo and the Changi Airport. The nearest MRT stations are Novena, Boon Keng, Farrer Park, Lavender and Botanic Gardens.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in the future.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have stayed there for the first time I visit Singapore a few years back. The first impression is the look of the hotel. It's gorgeous at the first sight, however the rooms are so small. I'd prefer some thing big and have enough space especially for those who travel with kids. The location isn't a problem in Singapore since it's a small country. The service is good, staff are nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ldminh94

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Quality Hotel Marlow.

I am disappointed to learn that you were unhappy with the size of the rooms. Do check out the triple bed rooms and suites on your next stay for greater comfort and pleasure.

Our hotel is conveniently located and guests can reach many major shopping areas within minutes.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to Singapore.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My experience here at the Quality (Marlowe) Hotel in Singapore was indeed very average. I would not go as far as to say that this hotel is exceptionally below average, but I would certainly not say it was anything more than average.
I stayed here for 5 nights with a fairly large group of friends, looking to attend an event in Singapore lasting several days. We desired accommodation at a fairly low cost, but still enjoyable and of satisfactory quality. I suppose this is more or less what we got.
If you are looking for a hotel with a good pool: do not stay here.
If you are looking for a hotel in a good and central location: do not stay here.
If you are looking for a hotel with a good breakfast: do not stay here.
If you are looking for rooms with great views: do not stay here
However, if you do stay here, you will find rooms that are both remarkably comfortable and remarkably small. You will find a limited selection of rice, pancakes, sausages and bread for breakfast. The staff are kind and helpful, but not overly or abnormally so.

This hotel is not particularly expensive, but I found the rates too steep considering the provided (and limited) facilities and quality. Unfortunately, the name "quality" hotel is slightly misleading.
The hotel rooms were all very comfortable, clean, and in a good condition. New looking, fresh smelling, with very comfortable beds and a well kept bathroom. The main reservation of the rooms was the size: very small and cramped, with no real walking space between one end of the room and the other.
Everything in the hotel was clean and up-to-scratch. However, I personally found the overall décor rather tasteless. The lobby is big, and the restaurant/bar next to the lobby is only bearable, with over-inflated prices.
The view is very average; nothing to complain about, just a fair-sized expanse of roads and buildings. Which is to be expected in Singapore, but the view really wasn't that good.
The swimming pool was a huge disappointment. It was clean and located in a pleasant courtyard framed by the rear of the hotel. However, it was more like a puddle than a pool, really, in that you could barely swim two strokes, and you already reached the other end. It was tiny! You could hardly swim in it. It was literally only good for climbing in, and then right back out, to cool off.
The gym and sauna are tiny but usable, and the breakfast room is large and comfortable enough.

The Quality Hotel Singapore has a fair number of set-backs, but overall makes for an unmemorable but comfortable enough hotel experience.
Unfortunately, I would NOT recommend this hotel, as there are other hotels in Singapore which are similarly or even cheaper priced, at a far better standard. This hotel is meagre, and costs to much for what it has to offer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ingrid B

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing Quality Hotel Marlow.

I am disappointed to learn that you were not satisfied with the swimming pool. Due to the structure of the hotel, the pool was built to match the structure.

Our rates are competitive as compared to other hotels of similar ratings.

We hope to welcome you again on your next trip to Singapore.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed for five nights because of an event and because of it the hotel was full with participants. From the airport we took a taxi going to the hotel which cost us 20SGD.
Our room was located at the 5th floor it was rather small for a double deluxe room however considering the price we were paying I guess it was somewhat reasonable.
The bed was comfortable enough to sleep however there was an odd gap between the headboard and the bed that tucks the pillow in between so we needed to move down a bit to prevent it form happening.
The room although bearable was not as clean as we hope it would be. The shower curtains needs replacements as the dirt was really visible at the edges of the white curtain.
The electric kettle inside the room was horrible when I was about to use it I open the lid and was surprise to see thick coffee stains inside, I could tell that someone probably try and made coffee directly form the kettle and the staffs didn't even check if it was clean. I immediately inform the housekeeping they gave me a new one and apologise for the inconvenience.
There were only 12 TV channels available and most of them are in constant replay.
The A/C creates propeller sound noises that could be really a bother if your a sensitive sleeper.
There's an old hair blower attached inside the bathroom wall which you can't really use more that 2 minutes because the handle becomes really hot to hold.
As what everyone said the pool doesn't really look anything in the pictures, it was really small and the water was a bit dirty when I saw it so I didn't even dare attempt to swim.
Breakfast is the same everyday but although it's not too appealing it's enough to get you started.
There are lots of convenient stores around the hotel so it's very easy to get things you need.
The wifi was surprisingly fast unlike the past reviews I've read here in trip advisor we manage to connect all 3 gadgets without any problem however in the evening it tends to become really slow and at times would even stop working, perhaps it's because they are trying to upgrade their system.
It's easy to take taxi from the hotel going around isn't a problem.
All in all the experience wasn't exactly an ideal stay for us, I would probably recommend only for those traveling in a very tight budget and for those people who aren't too sensitive to noises and cleanliness, since it could be compare to a run down old hotel that needs detailed cleaning, maintenance and probably renovation.

Room Tip: Request for rooms on the lower levels.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AkosiAteA
Quality_Hotel_SG, Marcom Executive at Quality Hotel Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

Your feedback has been forwarded to the Housekeeping Department. The department will make the necessary replacements.

The menu for breakfast is served on a 3 dishes rotating basis.

We take the reviews seriously and that is why we have improved the WIFI services of the hotel. We are glad that you appreciate it.

We take your comments seriously and the hotel is constantly improving to serve the guests better.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

A friend and I stayed 4 nights in this hotel situated about 15 minutes from Orchard Rd by cab. The hotel is on the main bus route and it is easy to get about Singapore using public transport. Our room in this hotel was small but comfortable. Unfortunately even though we requested a non smoking room it was not provided so the room had the unmistakeable smell of cigarette smoke, not successfully masked by room sprays. The pillows were too hard and were replaced with softer ones on request. The water did not run from the sink in the bathroom freely and this was fixed on request. The bathrooms had showers in the bath which was a little difficult for my friend and I but everything was clean. The staff were delightful - courteous, friendly - they helped us arrange tours, called cabs for us and seemed to genuinely want us to enjoy our holiday. Our very reasonable rate included buffet breakfast which catered to a variety of tastes. My friend ordered an omelette each morning and they were delicious. Fried eggs and scrambled eggs were also available, plus turkey bacon, fruit, cereals, croissants and pastries, toast, baked beans and an assortment of Singaporean dishes. The room was not soundproof and we were wakened early each morning by children in the corridor. We used the pool twice and it was clean without reeking of chlorine. The ladder into the pool needs to be replaced. While the hotel could probably do with a bit of a spruce up in the bedrooms and bathrooms, in terms of value for money, it was very good overall.

Room Tip: I guess if you are a non smoker you should insist on a non smoking room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are sorry about the room provided. We have forwarded your comments to the front office.

We will look into the replacing of the ladders in the swimming pool when it comes to our next round of upgrading.

We are glad that overall you have enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel is an oddity in the location it is in as practically the whole of Balestiar Road are packed with budget hotels. I suppose it tries to be a mid range hotel but as I have stayed in both the budget hotels and at the Quality Hotel, I can compare the difference.

The rooms are ok and so is the service for this mid range hotel but the other parts of the hotel don't really matches up.

The breakfast buffet is a let down. It is practically factory manufactured mass produced fast food, You can tell by the packaging when the service staff tops up the food. Because the hotel booking system mostly includes breakfast, like in my case I couldn't book a room without breakfast so I am force to avail myself to the buffet breakfast each morning. Hence the place during the morning is pure pandemonium with so many guest trying to find seats and it spills over to the adjacent bar lounge. You don't get shown to your table, you have to fight for one. And the food quickly finishes and the staff cannot top up fast enough. I suggest the hotel offer room rates without breakfast to solve this issue.

Secondly, there is a popular public restaurant on the first floor, so during lunch and dinner and especially weekends hotel guest would be fighting with that restaurant patrons for lifts, car parks, elbow room in the lobby etc.

And thirdly this hotel appears to cater to a mass market Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese tourist, so there are always hundreds of tourist in the morning (breakfast) and certain times of day when they check in and out. I have no issue with this but the lobby is not big enough to cater to so many and when it clashes with that public restaurant. The carpark lift comes straight to the lobby too.

It is not near to any MRT but if you know the bus system you will be fine.

I find the published room rates on the hotel booking sites on the high side, 50% higher than the budget hotels. I think it should only be 25% higher. The wifi is also weak and is worse than the budget hotels, so business travelers or even backpackers beware. I can't even watch youtube

Hence, I do not suggest business travelers to use this hotel. But is ok for tourist who wants free buffet and there is a bus to take them around.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank scfho

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing Quality Hotel Marlow.

I am disappointed to learn that you were not satisfied with with you stay in this hotel.

We have upgraded the internet service from 23rd June 2014. Guests may now enjoy free WIFI with higher bandwidth for up to two devices anywhere in the hotel.

On days when the occupancy is high, the cafe can be very crowded. I have forwarded you concerns regarding the breakfast buffet to the F&B department.

We take all feedback seriously, we are constantly trying to improve ourselves.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

部屋は1ベッドで悪くはなかったです。コーヒー紅茶無料でポットあり。シンク、バスタブが高いので背の小さい人には使いにくい。シャワーの水が外に流れ、床は水浸し。ハウスキーパーのおばちゃんが超怖い。タオルをくれと言ったら、部屋にあるだろ!と怒鳴られた。ないからくれと言ったと言ったら、うるさい!と。。。フロントもチャイニーズのスタッフは不愛想。小ばかにした感じ、インド、スリランカ系は穏やか。朝食はまずい。何食べてもまずい。ネットは有料。
よかったのは、オーチャードからの帰りは免税店前から#124のバスで一本。10分~15分でホテル前に到着。便利。タクシーなら10分、12ドルくらい。ノビナ駅まで15分弱。日中は歩きたくない距離。ホテル周辺はホーカーズ、コンビニなどあり、駅にはフードコートとスーパーあり。

the house keeper wasnot good,front staffs were also not good. the room is not bad,but itis depend on the floor. breakfast was soooooooooooo bad! wifi is charged. near the hotel,there are foodcourt and supermarket at the Novena sta,convenience store is located 1block.
from Orchard,take the bus about 15mins,to go orchard is not good,take more mins.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank tomato38
Quality_Hotel_SG, Marcom Executive at Quality Hotel Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for allowing Quality Hotel Marlow to be your host during your current visit to Singapore. Your feedback is much appreciated and is very valuable to us. I am very disappointed to hear that your visit is not going as successfully as we would hope. The housekeeping and F&B department have been informed of your feedback. We are constantly improving ourselves so as to provide better services to customers with varying needs. You may contact me to let me know the details. The staff from the Front Office have also been reminded to uphold the service standards at all times.

It is our sincere hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations on a future visit.

Warmest Regards,