“Standard hotel in a very good location”

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel
Ranked #29 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Hong Kong, China
“Standard hotel in a very good location”
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We are a family of 3 (2 year old son) and stayed at this hotel for 7 nights. The below review is based primarily on how "child-friendly" the hotel was.

CHECK-IN PROCESS: Poor
- We checked in around midnight due to late flight. The check-in process is usually the first test of how efficient a hotel is. There was only 1 staff at the reception desk when we got there and was busy with another guest which took a very long time. Another staff member appeared after 20 minutes (followed by 2 more staff) to serve us. I can never figure out why any hotel would take such a long time to check in guests!

ROOM: Average
- Another test we have for hotels in hot climate such as Singapore is the room's temperature control. Most indoor places in Singapore blast their aircon system. We turned the control up to 29C and set the level to Low and the temperature remained unchanged (cold). We had it turned off for most of the time.
- Bed was comfortable as per trademark of Marriott hotels/resorts.
- Room's furniture and bathroom were standard.
- Internet was not complimentary.

POOL: Good
- Nice dissent size pool with wading pool so my son loved it.
- No drinking water was given at pool side

SERVICE: Good
- Helpful staff doing their best to serve guests but it did not feel efficient in some areas. For example, our access card stopped working twice during our stay and we were told not to put the card near mobile phone! (Sorry, not really my problem if the access card is badly designed)

LOCATION: Very Good
- Probably the hotel's best feature: its location being very convenient for access to Orchard Road and nearby.

OVERALL: Average
- Good standard hotel with very convenient location.
- We stayed there using Marriott rewards points. We checked its lowest price for the period of our stay and it was much higher than other hotels of similar standard. We don't think we would have stayed there for that price. Not value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Friendly staff and beautiful ambience of Marriot are worth appreciation. Room are good, however a bit small compared to what others provide in the same price range. Also Internet is not free which is again provided by others hotels in same category.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank RoadWarrior90
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 April 2011

On the corner of Orchard and Scott in the heart of Singapore, this hotel is one of my favorite Marriott properties worldwide. It is round the corner from my client, and the Singapore Metro is but an escalator ride down from the front entrance, so location-wise I cannot personally think of a better place to stay in Singapore.

So, I've stayed here about 5 times in the past year or so and i can only think of one unpleasant experience with a staff member, and that was resolved immediately upon complaining. I have found the staff to be extremely helpful and the blend of Chinese-Indian-Malay hospitality is always so nice to experience. One call to the concierge and they will fix anything for you - even last minute - and even when they are about to leave for the night. I can't say enough good things about them. The ladies that manage the lounge are also simply amazing. So helpful and charming, and always up for a nice chat if one so desires.

A lot of people have a problem with the shape of the hotel (it is built like a pagoda, so round-hexagonal), and I must admit on occasion when I have forgotten which room I'm in, I've walked the long way around to get to it but it's all good. Being hexagonal, some of the rooms are a funny shape, but I've never had one of the small ones so I can't complain. There was one occasion late last year when I was put into a lower floor room right across form the new construction next door and the workers were starting work at 7AM and finishing up well after 11PM - in contravention with their agreement. I moved to a room on the concierge floor (where there is less noise from construction) and apparently Marriott management made sure the construction company stuck to their agreed upon schedule - another reason I like this hotel.

I can't think of anything I dislike about this hotel - in fact other than now minimal noise from the construction next door, and that too only if you happen to be facing the building during the day time, everything else seems to work flawlessly. Housekeeping doesn't keep annoying you if you want to sleep in, the concierge lounge attendants will even keep some breakfast for you if you call them and tell them you will be a little late, etc, etc.

Room Tip: Upper storey room AWAY from construction
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank PhlyingRPh
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 18 April 2011

This hotel is very modern and in the heart of Singapore. We did not have a rental car while we were in Singapore and had to rely on taxis. There is tons of high end shopping near the hotel. This hotel was a perfect fit for us. I'd stay there again in a heart beat. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were super clean.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Livebait3
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 18 April 2011

It is really a Royal experience staying in this Hotel. Very good location in the Orchard Road, well connected with all the areas. Taxis will be waiting in the entrance so no need to wait. Lobby is really a big one and really a nice one. Staffs are really carring and effective. when I have personally requested them to maintain the temprature at around 18 - 20 C, they have taken extra mesures to make sure that it is taken care. Being from hot country that really mattered lot to me. The food is really fantastic. Morning buffet is treat to your senses. It is very close to big malls and you will get everything close to you.
They have curreny conversion centre near the front gate which is really nice to have if you miss to convert the currency in Airport. Overall Royal value for the money.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank HappyToTravel06
CT
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Stayed at the Marriott Singapore for 6 nights in April 2011. The nightly rate was higher than similar hotels in the area but I chose the Marriott due to location on Orchard Rd, coworker recommendation and Marriott rewards program.

The guest rooms were clean and modern. The breakfast buffet was very good and a little cheaper if you include it in your room rate. ($44 after tax if not included in with room rate) The dinner buffet was good but not worth the money. ( $85 for the buffet and 1 bottle of beer!). The food republic at the mall across the street is good and much cheaper.

The executive floor lounge is very nice. Water, soft drinks and wifi are available all day. The happy hour with appetizers (5:30-7:30) is great and can make the exec floor lounge worth your money. They have a bunch of food that could very well suffice as a dinner and the value of the free drinks adds up quick since a beer at the lobby bar is $12-$18.

The sidewalk bar / restaurant is good for a beer and people watching - it is bustling until late. This hotel is definitely in the middle of the action.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank williamtraveler
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I stayed two nights in March 2011 in an Executive King room with Exec Lounge access 'benefits' at a cost of GBP 270/night. booked some months ago (to increase my chances of a good rate) via the Marriott website. I've been to Singapore many times but this was my Marriott stay. I've previously stayed at The Fullerton, Traders, Royal Plaza on Scotts, amongst others. On the positive side ...
1) Top-notch perfect location - and you sure pay for it!
2) Breakfast was also fantastic: I had it in the main restaurant (as opposed to the Exec Lounge): vast, great quality, masses of choice, excellent service.
3) Room facilities, cleanliness, soundproofing - no quibbles.

The negatives ....
1) Disappointingly small room vs others I've experienced in the city and for the cost.
2) Exec Lounge: it's a big hotel and the place was usually over-run with people, making it feel very noisy and busy. Royal Plaza is also a big hotel .. but it managed to create a much more relaxing feel in it's lounge.
3) The "cocktail hour" was a joke: only two very basic cocktails - and neither of them Singapore Slings! Very meagre ... and the staff clearly knew nothing about making anythng other than basic drinks. (I wasn't expecting a qualified cocktail maker, of course!, but the Royal Plaza lounge staff will gladly whipped up amazing Slings and at least a few other options) .
4) The complimentary snacks varied greatly in quality: first night fairly nice, second night not.
5) The staff were ... variable. Some seemed quite genuinely pleasant, some just playing at it - and not very well; no follow through or sense of genuine care. This compared unfavourably with staff at the Fullerton, Royal Plaza, Meridien and any of the Shangri La hotels I've stayed at.
6) There's only ONE free laptop (ie not a proper PC) for the use of all Exec guests, with a usage limit of 20 mins - or 30 mins, depending on which staff member you speak to. Toally under-resourced; I'd have thought there would be at least three for a hotel that size. You can borrow an iPad but still .... And there isn't a printer attached either: one has to email whatever you need to print to a staff member; unfortunately I couldn't see an option on the Air Asia website for emailing my boarding pass so gave up and just made sure I got to the airport super early to check-in in the usual way.
7) They don't enforce the laptop usage limit rule: one guest, who'd promised me he would log off 'shortly' then refused to. He became verbally abusive as I tried to appeal to his sense of fairness. The staff member present at the time was a rabbit in headlights and completely failed to help sort the situation out ... very horrible experience.

Overall I regret spending that much money at the Marriott and I wouldn't stay there again ... BUT I would go there for breakfast! Interestingly, it's the only hotel (from four I stayed at in Asia on this holiday) which I didn't receive a Feedback Survey request from after my stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo