“Great Stopover in Singapore”

Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy
Ranked #64 of 315 Hotels in Singapore
Queenstown
“Great Stopover in Singapore”
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Recently stayed at the Grand Mecure Roxy in Singapore on the way home from Europe. Singapore is an amazing place where the locals are super friendly. The hotel room was a bit dated but the hotel location (close to Changi Airport, close to Ferry Terminal to Indonesia, modern air conditioned Shopping Mall right across the road, Local food vendors across the road also) was great. The hotel staff were superb, the bar and pool area was great also. The only down side was the room, as it was in need of refurbishment (we were on the 13th floor). We tried to change rooms but unfortunately were unable to, that said our stay was very pleasant, the hotel staff were fantastic and the location is great. Even though it is not in Marina Bay, or downtown, the cost of taxis to get around was very cheap. All in all, a great place to stay! Singapore rocks!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
TikaMercure, E-commerce Executive at Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us on this fabulous island-state which you grew fond of. The hotel location is really convenient, 15 minutes between Changi airport and city centre with easy access to most tourist destinations in Singapore. The shopping centre right across the hotel also comes in useful to our guests as it provides a variety of shops selling almost everything. We do have some great news for our customers as our guest rooms will soon have a new look after the upgrading and refurbishment projects. We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to Singapore.

Dominique A. Albero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Oahu, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The Accor website had a great offer so when i needed to stay for a couple of days for a month-long trip from Hawaii to France via Singapore, I thought perhaps it would be OK to stay at the Grand Mercure Roxy...again. I was hoping I would not have any issues this time. Well, I was wrong.
Enroute to France, I arrived in Singapore on June 19--and was given a room on the 8th floor, as usual. Still the same old dated furniture and carpet. Upon further inspection, I found a piece of chocolate cake smashed on the door frame of the toilet. On the toilet floor, just behind the door, were a few strands of 'hair'--yuck!! Needless to say, I was quite disappointed again.
I arrived back in Singapore ( from France) on July 12. After a tiring 13 hour flight plus 7 hour stopover, I had hoped not to have any issues with my room. I was wrong, again! You would think that since I had a reservation they would already have a room assigned upon my arrival. Instead I had to wait for at least 25minutes. I told Venool--the front desk clerk who attended to me that I was really tired and if he could give me a nice room, that would be much appreciated. He gives me a room at the very end of the hall--adjacent to the exit/stairs. The room had a single bed and a king bed. I was alone...What was Venool thinking--or maybe he wasn't! I also did not like that it was an adjoining room--so the door leading to the other room had no lock. I was given this same room on my previous stay a couple of years ago and had rejected it.
I had booked these 2 separate stays on a "Stay, Spin & Win" Promotion offer on the Accor website. Anamarie, the front desk clerk from my first stay was pleasant and offered the free 1-day City tour that came with the Promotion, plus the free welcome drink the hotel provides upon arrival. Venool on the hand, did not. I had to remind him about the welcome drink. An addition I appreciated was the nice Filipino bellboy named Edrian. He had a welcoming smile, very helpful with my luggages and was quite apologetic about the room at the end of the hall.
My daughter has urged me to try other hotels in downtown singapore...for some reason, despite the many unhappy incidences, I've been returning to this hotel for the past 7 years.Location being the most ideal for me. But then I can only take so much disappointments...we'll see.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore. We are delighted to learn that you keep on coming back to our hotel despite your previous experiences. We sincerely apologise for the inconveniences that occurred during your recent stay. We are currently starting the upgrading and refurbishment of the Hotel, which should allow you to enjoy nicer rooms in the future. We appreciate your feedback and we will ensure our colleagues at the Front Office and House Keeping receive your comments and input to immediately take action in improving the service quality at all times. We look forward to keep on seeing you again during your next visits to Singapore.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My husband and I stayed in Grand Mercure Roxy for stopover (1 night each) from Jakarta to U.S and vice versa. Across the street from the hotel, there is a food court that opens 24/7...it's called Marina Promenade if I'm not mistaken. The rooms we got were simple with basic amenities. We both didn't expect much of the hotel's service, but the employees were generally friendly and quite helpful.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us during your stopover in Singapore. It is good to know that our colleagues were friendly and helpful when assisting you. We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to Singapore.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Hotel standards are good and will return again for another stay. Room is very comfortable and breakfast was good while dinner was awesome. The hotel is quite far away from the city central and a shuttle service to Orchard Road is highly recommended. There are plenty of eateries around this area and a great shopping mall across the road. Overall the stay was great and the hotel should continue to maintain or improve further to remain competitive as more new hotel are coming up with good rates and excellent service.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore. We are delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and find the quality of our services up to your expectations. It is also a pleasure to know you enjoyed the breakfast and especially the dinner. We will take your feedback into consideration as regards to providing a shuttle service to Orchard. We do have however two complimentary shuttle services to Changi Airport and Paya Lebar MRT Station. Nevertheless, the hotel is surrounded with many places to visit, from East Coast Park with its many activities, beaches and restaurants, to shopping centre and eateries just opposite, not to mention all the places to see behind the hotel as well. We will definitely ensure the quality of our services while constantly improving to serve our guests even better. We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to Singapore.

Melbourne
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Overall the hotel was fine to stay at. The room was a generous size with all the required facilities. Bathroom was clean as was the whole room. The only down side was check in and and check out was a little slow, they didn't seem very fast at the front desk and could have been mroe efficient. I didn't any food there so cant comment on the quality of the meals etc. There is a little kiosk cafe down in the recpetion area which is good for a bottle of water and sandwich on the go. I would stay there again, however it is not central to the CBD area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore. We are glad to know you had a pleasant stay with us and that our room quality is up to your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and we apologise for the inconveniences upon check-in and check out. We will surely make certain to enhance the pace of our services during the peak hours at the front desk. We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to Singapore and hopefully then you can taste the delightful dishes we serve in our restaurants.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and would have to say the room was lovely, it was clean, spacious and modern! The hotel itself was very nice too, although i would say the lobby was a bit small for the amount of people that were usually in there. The concierge staff in particular were very helpful and tried their best to assist you.
The hotel is very close to the airport, however is a bit of a distance from the main city and areas such as marina bay. The taxis in Singapore are very cheap so it shouldn't cost much to get around anyway. Opposite the hotel there is a shopping centre which is very nice and you can find some very cheap clothes in there however if it is the big designer shops you are after then this is not the place.
Overall i would recommend the hotel and would say it is a pleasant stay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore. We are very happy to learn you had a pleasant stay with us and that you find the hotel to be very nice, especially the spacious rooms. It is always pleasing to hear that our colleagues at the Concierge desk have been very helpful and able to assist you accordingly. We truly appreciate you recommending Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore as a enjoyable place to stay. We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to Singapore.