Ok I have to say that I am biased because this hotel is right smack in my neighborhood. We were looking for a hotel to spend a couple of nights while our apartment was being painted and so we ended up at Grand Mercure Roxy which is within walking distance of our home (but I drove there anyway). I had a really good deal as I am an Accor member - S$168 per night prepaid offer.
The hotel was renovated not too long back so the room was pleasant in a 4 star way. There were two super single beds and they provided us with a rollout bed even without my asking which was nice. Service was polite and generally prompt. My children thought the pool a bit small but it looked very inviting with the dark blue tiles and lots of lounge chairs by the poolside. We had room service breakfast and that was yummy but other than that we had our meals across the road where there are more options.
What's great about this hotel is the location:
If you want to experience a real Singapore neighborhood, this is a great alternative to hotels located in the city. Right across the road is a huge shopping mall Parkway Parade where you will find many popular retailers (sans upmarket boutiques) such as Uniqlo, Marks & Spencer, Harvey Norman, 2 supermarkets, a games arcade and lots of eateries. Next to Parkway Parade is Marine Parade Central (every public housing estate in Singapore has a "central") which is a cluster of shops including a hawker centre (dining at a hawker centre is a quintessential Singapore experience). The hawker centre also houses a wet market where you can witness housewives and domestic workers buying their fresh meats, vegetables and flowers (opened in the morning only, closed on Mondays).
To the back of the hotel is East Coast Road where you will find shophouses with quaint architecture from the turn of the century till mid 20th century. Along here there is the new mall 112 Katong (5 mins walk from Grand Mercure Roxy) which is a small mall but is great because it has a cinema and lots of eateries.
To experience one of the best hawker centres in Singapore, take a taxi (less than 10 mins ride) to Lagoon Hawker Centre (most of the stalls only operate in the evenings) which is along the nearby East Coast beach and next to a lagoon where you can cable ski. Good food to try at Lagoon hawker centre include satay bee hoon, oyster omelette, BBQ chicken wings and satay. The sea breeze goes well with beer too!
In the later evening when the shops at closed but you are not ready to turn in for the night, you can go to Roxy Square for a foot or back massage (S$25 for 40 mins). Roxy Square is an old mall connected to the hotel. There you will find lots of massage centres offering mostly foot reflexology services. There are also many hairdressers and nail salons here if you feel like a makeover. Also in the evenings Jiawei Express which is an outlet of the hotel and is located next to the door between the hotel and Roxy Square, has a buy-one-get-one-free offer on its desserts so you can pick up dessert to enjoy in the hotel room for supper!
If you must visit Orchard Road and the rest of the touristy city areas of Singapore, Grand Mercure Roxy is about 10 mins taxi ride to Suntec City and less than 20 mins to Orchard Road.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy is an ideal hotel for a business trip or holiday in Singapore. A haven from the bustling city amidst the heritage charms of historic Katong, the hotel enjoys easy access to the city centre, Changi Business Park, Singapore Expo, the Marina Bay area and Orchard Road. Enjoy fantastic shopping at Parkway Parade on the doorsteps of the hotel or a great day out at East Coast Park with beaches, recreational facilities and renowned seafood restaurants. Only 10 minutes from Changi Airport with DAILY COMPLIMENTARY SHUTTLE SERVICE. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, Ebookers, Southall Travel, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore Hotel Singapore
- Grand Accor Roxy Hotel
- Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel Singapore
- Mercure Singapore
- Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy