“Pleasant hotel in real Singapore”

Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy
Ranked #64 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Ok I have to say that I am biased because this hotel is right smack in my neighborhood. We were looking for a hotel to spend a couple of nights while our apartment was being painted and so we ended up at Grand Mercure Roxy which is within walking distance of our home (but I drove there anyway). I had a really good deal as I am an Accor member - S$168 per night prepaid offer.

The hotel was renovated not too long back so the room was pleasant in a 4 star way. There were two super single beds and they provided us with a rollout bed even without my asking which was nice. Service was polite and generally prompt. My children thought the pool a bit small but it looked very inviting with the dark blue tiles and lots of lounge chairs by the poolside. We had room service breakfast and that was yummy but other than that we had our meals across the road where there are more options.

What's great about this hotel is the location:
If you want to experience a real Singapore neighborhood, this is a great alternative to hotels located in the city. Right across the road is a huge shopping mall Parkway Parade where you will find many popular retailers (sans upmarket boutiques) such as Uniqlo, Marks & Spencer, Harvey Norman, 2 supermarkets, a games arcade and lots of eateries. Next to Parkway Parade is Marine Parade Central (every public housing estate in Singapore has a "central") which is a cluster of shops including a hawker centre (dining at a hawker centre is a quintessential Singapore experience). The hawker centre also houses a wet market where you can witness housewives and domestic workers buying their fresh meats, vegetables and flowers (opened in the morning only, closed on Mondays).

To the back of the hotel is East Coast Road where you will find shophouses with quaint architecture from the turn of the century till mid 20th century. Along here there is the new mall 112 Katong (5 mins walk from Grand Mercure Roxy) which is a small mall but is great because it has a cinema and lots of eateries.

To experience one of the best hawker centres in Singapore, take a taxi (less than 10 mins ride) to Lagoon Hawker Centre (most of the stalls only operate in the evenings) which is along the nearby East Coast beach and next to a lagoon where you can cable ski. Good food to try at Lagoon hawker centre include satay bee hoon, oyster omelette, BBQ chicken wings and satay. The sea breeze goes well with beer too!

In the later evening when the shops at closed but you are not ready to turn in for the night, you can go to Roxy Square for a foot or back massage (S$25 for 40 mins). Roxy Square is an old mall connected to the hotel. There you will find lots of massage centres offering mostly foot reflexology services. There are also many hairdressers and nail salons here if you feel like a makeover. Also in the evenings Jiawei Express which is an outlet of the hotel and is located next to the door between the hotel and Roxy Square, has a buy-one-get-one-free offer on its desserts so you can pick up dessert to enjoy in the hotel room for supper!

If you must visit Orchard Road and the rest of the touristy city areas of Singapore, Grand Mercure Roxy is about 10 mins taxi ride to Suntec City and less than 20 mins to Orchard Road.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Yvonne C
There are newer reviews for Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy

Reviewed 19 May 2012

This Airport-ish Hotel is located in a populated area, just in front of a Shopping/Feeding Mall "Marine Parade Central". Walking distance to great outdoor " East Coast park " along the shore. Safe & clean public recreation area. Families enjoy BBQ, running, cycling and beach. A great place to meet locals, eat local ( Jumbo SeaFood Diner @ East Cost Park for famous " Spicy Crab " & Pepper Crab" ).

Room Tip: Not a luxury place but all services expansive. Forget Room Service
1  Thank Eric D
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Stayed for 7 nights. Had a recently refurbished room, which was nice. Did not eat at the hotel, lots of great restaurants and coffee shops nearby. Easy access to the city on the local bus which goes from directly opposite the hotel. Great new shopping centre with excellent restaurants located behind the hotel. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 17 May 2012

After a stay in Novotel Hotel by Accor for my business trip , I have decided to try out another different hotel in Singapore which is also under Accor and so I chosen Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore.
The room was spacious but could be better if they could offer complimentary bottles of mineral water. Not everyone dare to take it from tap eventhough it is safe.
I was getting myself comfortable with the first night stay after a wonderful dinner. And I think; well this is a good start.
The next morning , I received a call and there was an emergency back home , I have cancel some of the meetings and to check out immediately . I kindly asked the front desk if they could charge me only for one night but they told me it is not possible as reservation was made for 2 nights at 250++ per night. I asked what would be the normal room rate for a night and they said it is 300++. Again, I offer to pay the normal room rate for one night. Again, they told me it is not possible.
Really disappointed that the staff was trained to be so stone-hearted. I wonder where is the value of leniency and compassion as well as considerate ? Told them this is a emergency back home and having no choice but to check out early yet they said there is nothing they can do.

The equation is simple, if customer is happy , they will come back again. If they are not, they just walk away and never return. Does it worth for a few hundred SGDs to say NO to a customer request. I believe the decision is simple to be made. In longer term you may gain more from a happy long term customer.

WIll I return again ? NO WAY!! Will I recommend anyone? NO WAY!!
Perhaps I should even reconsider if I should choose other Accor `s hotel for my next business trip.

1  Thank SEABusinessTraveller
Reviewed 16 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012
GrandMercureRoxy_GM, General Manager at Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Normally a Mercure is a notch above an Ibis and a notch below a Novotel but this was far better than the Novotel's I've stayed in. Was not my choice as people I was meeting were staying there but very happy I did. Rooms were fine although could be more spacious and the location is 5km from city centre. Beach and restaurants (incl Jumbo seafood) a 2 minute taxi ride away. Restaurants in hotel were fine. Only gripe would be that the reception sometimes gets very busy and one can end up waiting a long time to check in/out or just ask a random question. Also there is not much to do in surrounding area (or Singapore for that matter!).

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know you have enjoyed your stay with us; and were satisfied with our location and Food & Beverage outlets.

Our hotel is, in fact, conveniently located within close proximity to the Changi Airport, East Coast Park, town, places of interest, fantastic eateries, shopping centres and many more; yet offers some serenity as compared to the hustles in the city area. When it comes to shopping, eating and cultural experience, this area definitely has one of the best options in Singapore.

Getting around Singapore from the hotel is not an issue, as there are public transportations readily available in front of our hotel. Our guests have always found our complimentary shuttle services to and from the Changi Airport and Paya Lebar MRT Station useful.

We have well noted your suggestion for a speedier arrival and departure process. You may rest assure we are looking at your comments in details for immediate improvement.

At the Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore Hotel, we strongly believe that it is our duty to provide all our guests with a warm and high level of hospitality service throughout their stay. Thank you again for sharing your experience so that we can review and improve our processes to provide a better service experience for our guests. We really look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to Singapore.

Kind regards,
Dominique A. Albero

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Check in to this hotel and was given a room which was occupied by other guests. When i open the door to the room there are other people inside. Went back to front desk and was given another room. Went out for dinner and return to room and there was an extra bed in the room which i did not request. Called housekeeping to remove it and the service staff gave bad attitude.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank berndz80

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Grand Mercure Roxy Singapore. We would also like to thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Book survey and write us an email regarding your recent stay at our hotel from 7th to 10th May 2012.

As per our email reply to you, please accept my most sincere apology once again, as we wrongly assign you to an occupied room. We have immediately requested our team to be absolutely more vigilant in assigning room as to avoid any reoccurrence of this type of issue.

In addition, it is with great regrets that we wrongly sent an extra bed to your room when it was additional shower gel that you have requested. You may rest assure I have taken immediate actions with the Housekeeping Department for improved accuracy and service in their duties.

Kind regards,