“Hidden Treasure of Singapore”

Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy
Ranked #64 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 23 April 2010

This hotel is one of the hidden treasures of Singapore.

From the time you got the free shuttle from the airport to time of departure nothing was a problem. The room was great, the service was fantastic and the location, all be it not in the CBD very good. The fact that it is not central is a bonus in a way, because the CBD is a very sterile, expensive, characterless place to stay; unless of course you have a pocket full of money and are into expensive designer clothing etc.
We stayed in Singapore 3 nights (as opposed to 1) because of the flight disruptions caused by the Iceland volcanic eruption and as you can imagine the hotel was frantically busy. But in a sense it didn't seem to be, because they seem to have put in place the systems and people to cope with such an influx of customers. Everything was efficient and orderly.
I rate this hotel and the management and staff have every right to be very proud of what they are achieving.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Muggsy23

Reviewed 22 April 2010

Washroom and room were very very nice! It also has an excellent fitness centre.

My two problems: No free internet in the rooms. $7 for 15 minutues!!! 2 computers with internet in the lobby.

The advertised airport shuttle bus only runs from 7am until 2am! Our flight was at 7am so we took the 2am and just sat there.

I guess this type of hotel isn't for a budget type traveler, as a pepsi in the room or lobby is $6.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
LinaTS, Quality & Training Executive at Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2010

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our appreciation to you for sharing your feedback.

I am glad to read that overall you were satisfied with Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel, and that you liked our washrooms and fitness centre.

With regards to you comment about the Internet and beverage charges, I would like to inform you that we regularly conduct surveys in order to contrast our prices with other similar category properties in Singapore, and you may wish to know that our pricelist is quite comparable.

Furthermore, we have already installed a third computer in the lobby for complimentary access to the Internet.

Last but not least, I would like to express my sincerest apologies about that fact that our shuttle bus timetable caused you inconveniences.

Tsvetelina Georgieva
Quality & Training Executive
Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel

Reviewed 22 April 2010

Now I am nearly a week back into my Sydney world (although my heart still feels like it is in the Himalayas)….I just wanted to write to tell you of the wonderful experience I had staying at this hotel in late March.

I arrived quite late at night (not much before midnight) and I was most relieved to emerge through customs to find one of the delightful staff waiting right there to assist with my luggage and whisk me quickly on to a bus and away to the hotel!

On arrival in the lobby I was taken straight to the room by-passing reception and making my transition into bed very quick and very smooth. I also had the delightful surprise of fruit and tea waiting for me in the room which was very much appreciated.

My experiences in the morning when I had an early breakfast in the restaurant were also fabulous, the staff were very kind and attentive and even greeted me by name!

In summary although it was a very brief stay the experience was truly wonderful. Certainly when I am next in Singapore I will be staying at the Grand Mercure Roxy (and hopefully for longer)! I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Melissa

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank melmarshall60
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Stayed there because of proximity to the airport and East Coast Sea Food Centre (only had a 15 hr stopover). The location isn't great and you are some distance from the city centre but for a short stay near Changi Airport, it is OK. Check-in staff very good but the hotel overall is showing its age - hallways and rooms a bit tatty. Air con in my room rattled and the carpets stained in several areas. The room was spacious enough and generally acceptable but nothing to write home about. The coffee shop/snack bar in the lobby is "in the lobby" with people milling aout everywhere. The pool bar is about 1* though. Overall, I wouldn't stay there again but for the price, OK if you don't mind the downsides.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

It is a pleasure for us to learn that you were satisfied with the service provided by our staff during your check-in process.

Although, we are not in the centre of Singapore, the public transport is very convenient as the bust stops are located right in front and opposite our hotel. The buses are quite inexpensive and go directly to the main attractions of Singapore, such as Orchard road, Raffles place etc. Moreover, the taxi services in Singapore are also reasonably priced. For example, a ride to the city centre will be about 10 Singapore dollars, or 12-14 at maximum, during peak hours.

Please do accept my apologies in regards to the air con and carpet fault in your room. We have a regular room maintenance schedule and these things should be picked up at that time. Since I do not have your details it is a bit challenging for us to investigate, therefore I would be extremely grateful if you would be kind enough to send us your details at h3610-hr1@accor.com. This way we will be able to personally address the problem.

Once again, thank you for the feedback.

Tsvetelina Georgieva
Quality & Training Executive
Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel

Reviewed 17 April 2010

Despite being allocated a 6 floor room when I had booked a club room which was supposed to be on the top levels (17 and 16) I was happy with this hotel. The best aspect for me was the hotel's location mid way between city and airport and more importantly the surrounding shopping and leisure areas. Many location for food and drinks in adjacent malls and a short walk to the sea shore. A cold beer and hot snack beside the pool was very pleasant. I will use again for business travel but normally stay more upmarket for leisure travel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank FREQUENTTRIPPERPerth
Reviewed 13 April 2010

This was an excellent hotel. The staff were very helpful and made us feel very welcome. We checked in late and were given a late checkout without asking. Also had a nice platter in the room. Room was big and bathroom very nice! Very close to airport with good shopping right across the road. Will stay there again certainly.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shafraz
Reviewed 13 April 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel and we were both more than happy with our choice. As we were only in Singapore for one night on the way to Kota Kinabalu and 2 nights on the way back to Perth Western Australia we did not want to spend too much on accomodation but at the same time wanted a clean hotel that was not too far from the shopping. The Grand Mercure satisfied our requirements and more. Whilst I believe that the rooms will soon need to be refurbished the cost was very reasonable and the room was very comfortable. The bathroom [which is always important to me when I travel] was clean and adequate. The shower had a good strong flow. The free shuttle bus service to and from Changi Airport was a major plus as we saved on Taxi fare and it was efficient and on time! Great location, just in front of the hotel is Parkway Parade Shopping Centre - with lots of shops and eating places. If you need to go into the city to shop - taxi fare would be between $15 - $20 Singapore Dollars or $1.50 bus fare. Both easy to get.
I cannot end this review without mentioning the staff of the hotel - I believe the staff of the hotel are absolutely fantastic - the Mercure's greatest asset. Always willing to help with advise from where to shop or how to get somewhere or what to do. Very efficient and friendly. They surely know what Customer Service is!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple