“Very Functional”

Ranked #105 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Mumbai
“Very Functional”
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Four of us - My brother and his wife + my wife and self had been on a holiday at Singapore and stayed at this hotel. Located in a very nice locality, we found the hotel very hospitable and functional.

Advance reservation made the check in process very easy. The staff were very courteous and eastern hospitality meant that someone led us to the room and the luggage followed.

Room was spacious and comfortable. We stayed for 3 days and the housekeeping staff did a very good job. All facilities in the room functioned nicely and there was no room for complaint. The breakfast spread was OK and I must make a special mention of the packed breakfast we were given when we left at 4.30 AM on the last day!

Though the location was very good, we had to travel some distance to get into the shopping area. Since we are vegetarians, we travelled to the Indian part of Singapore to taste some original south indian food. Taxis were freely available and we made the most of our stay.

Singapore itself provides fantastic oppotunities for a tourist and this hotel added to our enjoyable holiday. We will have no hesitation in recommending this hotel!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KChandra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I’ve spent 2 weeks at the Furama Riverside on a business trip. I will not stay there again when I return next month.
The lobby has been made to look pretty but the guest rooms are old and in need of a full refurbishment. The first room I had (Executive Room) was old and tired. The carpet was badly worn down at the entrance and the walls were poorly patched. Many of the front desk staff came across as huffy and arrogant. There seemed to be little flexibility and consideration for business traveler needs.
The maids are friendly but don’t speak English (mainland Chinese)
The buffet supper is pretty good in terms of variety, but the food is only so-so in quality.
Location is decent (10min walk to Robertson Quay).
The fitness facilities are poor. The pool is average.

1 Thank Mike H
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I am a very frequent traveller for business and pleasure and always use trip advisor to guide me on where to stay. My wife and I stayed here the weekend before last (22 Sept 2011) and it was a disaster. I have never had the urge to write my own review before but simply had to register and document my bad experiences endured in theis hotel. ! Had to check in late as my son was playing in a football competition with his school so didn't get in until Friday midnight and that is when the problems began.
When checking-in we had to, literally, shout to make ourselves heard above the cacophonous "entertainment" consisting of a "vocal duo" screeching sickly-sweet ballads in the main longer that resonated and echoed loudly through the marbled reception area. Next we were shown to a twin room when we'd booked a double, fair do's to the hotel we were quickly shown to a new double room, problem was the Air Conditioning wasn't working and we had to get a technician to come to the room at 1 am to fix it!
The next day was spent at my son’s football comp so when we returned to the hotel in the evening hot , dusty, tired and disheveled we were somewhat less than delighted to find that there was no hot water throughout the hotel! So we had to take cold showers before going out with friends. I feel that as the hotel had broken their part of our agreement to provide a room with a bed bathroom and toilet with hot and cold running water in return for payment then we should have been refunded the monies that we paid for that nights accommodation. However the hotel advised that because I booked the room through an agent (Agoda) then they could not refund me for the room! Quite how they can divest themselves of responsibility in this way is beyond me and is probably legally questionable but nevertheless their attitude was basically “tough ----”. Very disappointing to say the least!
The “hits just kept on comin’” the next (Sunday) morning when at 6 am we discovered that the double room we were re-located to on our 1st night had a connecting door to the adjacent room containing what sounded like a mobile public address system equipped to deliver ear piercing screaming and shouting but on further investigation turned out to be a young child simply intent on making sure it was impossible for the occupants of its own room and ours to continue resting. Fortunately I had saved the ear plugs from a recent overnight flight and these were able to alleviate the sleep deprivation.
Being completely tired and drained after the lack of sleep the night before I was less than impressed when the hotel decided to start calling the room at 11 am and every 20 minutes or so thereafter to enquire (demand ) when we were checking out!
Having finally managed to get a hot shower and feeling at least half-human at last, the perfect end to the perfect stay was organized by the hotel who thoughtfully “disabled” the TV in the room at 11:30am so that the sports result programme I was watching terminated abruptly (my team had lost anyway I was to later find out!)
The very sympathetic and professional Duty Manager I complained to offered us a free lunch (which we couldn’t take as we had made other arrangements) and arranged for free transportation to the airport for us but again gave us the “flannel” that no refund could be made as we’d booked through an agent. Quite shameful.
Somewhere in the advertising leaflets located in the room it proudly proclaimed that the hotel had been awarded “Best mid –range hotel” or some such guff. Who on earth would vote for this place as ‘the best” of anything (except for a certain Mr B Fawlty) and how any organization can give out such an award is quite beyond my comprehension.
I’m sure that we were very unlucky and lots of people would have an OK stay here but my advice would be to avoid this place if at all possible.

Room Tip: Check if the room has a connecting door and if it does asked to be relocated
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Floyd3592
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Staying almost a week in the same hotel is always a risk. However, the location is almost perfect since it is not in the middle of the buzz but still within waking distance to most central attractions. Take the walk down the river and you are in the very center within the time it takes to get a taxi or catching the bus. Some may wish to be closer to a MTR station (Outram park) but there are busses that takes you there just outside the hotel.
The Hotel by itself turned out to be quite good even though I had a bad start. I was booked in an executive room which is great because breakfast is included as well as access to the executive lounge that serves drinks an light meal for free between 6 to 8 pm. However, the room I fist got on 17th floor was very small, had a clear smell of smoke even though floor was supposed to be smoke free, a flickering light and only one very small window. The response to my complaints was immediate and I was moved to another room on 19th floor (top floor). The new room was only a little bigger but had more windows and most important, was very clean.
Being in an executive room, you can choose to have your breakfast either in the executive lounge or in the Square (the main restaurant at the hotel). I would certainly recommend the Square since the buffet is really extensive and to some extent also changes from day to day, which is important if you stay several nights. The lunch buffet is also very good and contains everything needed to taste people from everywhere, including Japanese, Chinese, Western and things I have absolutely no idea about what it was. For an even more interesting food experience, go to the near by China town but skip the tourist traps on e.g. Pagoda St. and head for one of the many food courts where many small outlets compete. One strange experience in such food court was that you have to order beer from one of the many ladies representing different beer companies competing about serving the guests but then you have to order food separately either directly from the counter of your chosen outlet or from another server that might work for one specific restaurant. Anyway, the food was always excellent and the price very reasonable.
In conclusion I primarily liked the hotel because of its location, very green and calm area but still close enough to the buzz in the city center as well as busses and MTR station.

Room Tip: Go for the executive rooms on floor 17-19.
Scottburgh, South Africa
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Its a very good hotel, big busy and usually full. I was fortunate to be upgraded to an executive room and had a bed of gigantic proportions to sleep in. The room had all the required amenities and for a change it is refreshing to find a hotel that does not charge extraordinary prices for internet, which was wired into the room rather than wireless..Other reviewers have mentioned that the hotel is far from restaurants and shops. The Orchard Rd shopping district is a $5.00 cab ride. Restaurants, however are plentiful and close. If one exits the hotel, turns left and walks up about 150 metres one will find a pedestrian overpass. Use it to cross the road and walk a few more metres in the same direction until you see a canal. Next to this canal are lots of restaurants and sidewalk cafes with a huge variety of cuisine styles. This is only a 10 minute walk from the hotel.
The staff are great and very helpful, willing and accommodating. If I get the same reasonable rate, I will definitely stay here again. In Singapore I used to book hotels at the airport - there is a very helpful desk and hotels with availability are usually much cheaper to book here than on their websites. However I booked this hotel on-line here at a great rate.

Room Tip: The executive rooms have fabulously huge beds. I was lucky to get an upgrade as I had reserved a non...
Aix en Provence / London
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel during the September F1 Grand Prix and some days after. This is a lovely hotel better than mid range. Staff are fantastic. We were upgraded, and we got a non smoking floor as requested. We could have had a smoking straight away but we opted to wait for the non smoking and during this we were offered a complimentary cocktail at the bar. Rooms are nice and spacious, we had a view of the pool. Good Location, very close to Clarke Quay and also close to Chinatown although a little further walk. Really enjoyed the stay and would come back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The commencement of the day at this property is a more than a sumptuous International Breakfast Buffet. Hotel staff are particularly helpful and friendly. Rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. Located more in the business sector of the city, the Hotel partially suffers from being a little out of the way with most eating and shopping more than walking distance away. Robinson's Quay is a spirited walk and Clarke Quay with all the dining opportunities just out of easy reach. However the property does provide complimentary shuttle bus service to the fringe of Chinatown and Orchard Road. The traveller who wants a quiet and relaxing place to stay away from hustle and bustle will be rewarded. The waterfall bar is a feature and a nice place to relax. The outdoor pool is abundant in size. The sister Furama Cityview puts guests right into Chinatown for those who wish to be closer to shopping and dining.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple