“Great hotel, not good value”

Ranked #74 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Great hotel, not good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Location is great for shopping lovers. We have stayed here a few times in 3 different rooms, the deluxe, premier and the wedding suite (we had our wedding reception here).

The hotel presentation is good, friendly staff and good restaurant. The chicken rice here is famous, good and worth trying. Our relatives (mid 40s-60s) enjoyed the food during our reception and gave very good comment. My young friends said foods were average and I personally quite enjoyed it.

All rooms we stayed were spacious, but I found them a little overpriced, probably season dependent. We stayed at deluxe room once and the aircon was leaking, so they upgraded our room to premier easily.

We came back during our wedding reception and stayed in the suite, very nice and probably can accommodate two families easily. Unfortunately we didn't get to enjoy the suite much as we were so drunk and tired after the wedding.

The next morning we got this special breakfast area (forgot the name), good view and good selection of dim sum and nicely made coffee.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Soodye,

Congratulations on your recent marriage and thank you too for selecting the Mandarin Orchard as the venue for your wedding celebrations.

I am happy that you and your guests enjoyed the food and the hospitality and we were able to help make your special day a memorable one.

We look forward to having the two of you back to celebrate your first wedding anniversary.

Warm Regards,

Mandarin Orchard Singapore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

First thing's first, the location is the best. It is surrounded by malls, with its own Mandarin Orchard Gallery downstairs and Takashimaya being the closest beside it. Ion Orchard, Wisma Atria, Paragon, Lucky Plaza, Tangs Plaza, Somerset @ 313, Orchard Central, H&M store and many more surround it. A 7-11 is also located nearby.

Transportation is also not a problem as the hotel can easily assist you into a cab, and the hotel is located between 2 mrt stations, Orchard and Somerset.

Our only complain is housekeeping always forgets to put towels and the complimentary coffee and tea in our room. For safety reasons, there are too much elevator transfers which makes going up and down inconvenient especially if in a rush. Other than that, the staff is nice and friendly which will make you want to come back for your next stay!

Dear Ryanna,

Thank you for staying with us and I am very glad that you enjoyed your time with us. I apologize that my Housekeeping Team did not put the towels and complimentary tea and coffee in your room. I have reminded them that remembering little items such as these makes a very big difference in a guest's stay.

I am glad that you enjoyed the Asian Hospitality and that you will be back.

We look forward to your return.

Warm Regards,

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

On day 1 of our holiday, the air-conditioner in our room failed. We eventually realised that the extreme humidity and heat was not normal, prompted by the commotion on our floor when our neighbours started to move out. The fan function of the A/C unit was working, but the unit was circulating hot air.

We had to speak to a representative at guest services four times before they informed us that they had no idea when A/C would be operational again.

Management of this establishment had no interest in the plight of their guests.
1. We were promised responses repeatedly. Never once was these repeated promises of returning our call ever kept. We had to call guest services 4 times before our issue was addressed.

2. We were informed that the duty manager would contact us - no such luck despite staying at the hotel for a further 2 nights. We made a request to speak to the duty manager - again no luck.

3. The A/C system failed sometime in the afternoon. We were eventually relocated by the front desk (not the duty manager) at midnight after engineers failed to fix the fault.

Management were not proactive in keeping guests informed. Rather, they sat back and let the situation deteriorate.

Room Tip: Find another establishment.
Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear GT,

Thank you for your feedback; it was unfortunate that the air conditioning system malfunctioned during your stay with us.

I apologize that my Team was not prompt in responding to your calls. We are reviewing our processes to better manage our response to guests to minimize their discomfort and inconvenience should a similar malfunction occur again.

I am sorry for our service shortfall, but I do hope that you will be back to allow us the opportunity to serve you again.

Warm Regards.

Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Being a 5-star rated hotel, checking-in should be a breeze. Reached the hotel close to 1pm. There were more than 6 counters and since there were no queue directions/sign, one will think the right way is to form a queue at each counter - so that's what happened. All guests were forming a row at each counter and then were told by the guest officer that there's only ONE queuing row for all 6 counters. Imagine having to wait 10 mins on the "non-existent" row and then have to leave and queue all over again with the rest of the guests? Another 10mins of waiting!

Upon my turn, was told that my room will only be ready in exactly an hour, seems fair enough since I've reached earlier than the usual check-in time. Left the counter at 1.12pm (i remember this because i personally checked the time with the receptionist before leaving) and came back after 1.5 hours. Was expecting my room to be ready and it wasn't. When i told her it's been 1.5 hrs, the receptionist still has the cheek to tell me that i've "checked-in" late at 1.41pm and came back too early for the room. You must be kidding me, I've never been pissed while checking in! Surprising enough, after i've pointed out that i should be getting my room by the time i came back as guaranteed before, i got a room in minutes. Hmmm...

Here's another reason why you should stay away from this hotel. The furnishing of the room is stuck in the early 90s. Light fixtures were almost falling off, the bathroom was gloomy and the door to the toilet is epic. Wooden sliding door for goodness sake! Paid $300 for lousy service and room is definitely not worth it!

Room Tip: Pay more for a renovated room if you don't wish to turn back time to the 90s.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear LadyMephis,

Thank you for your feedback on your check in experience; we apologize for the wait during your check in. Checking in when we have a high occupancy can be a challenge. The Front Office Team has been made aware of this - we are continually reviewing and monitoring our processes especially for busy periods with the objective of cutting down waiting time for our guests.

I hope that you will be back to stay in our refurbished rooms which is being upgraded in phases.

Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times since 2009 because of its perfect location (right in the heart of Orchard Road - the shopping mecca of Singapore) and proximity to the MRT and bus stops. I've always enjoyed their staff's service and keen attention to my needs. Even food service is great, although the food quality is hotel-ish.
Some specific examples, I was met at the airport by the hotel's limousine service (which I had requested and paid for) and we had a smooth and pleasant ride to the hotel. Then at the hotel's entrance, I was met by a Filipina PR girl who led us directly to our room - no lining up to check-in at the front desk! I signed a pre-populated form and in under five minutes, we were all settled and left to ourselves (I was with my kids). The check-out experience was also seamless and hassle-free. I did it in under 10 minutes - and no checking of the room or the mini-bar. I felt valued as a customer.
What disappointed me on this last visit was the decline in the hotel's cleanliness and hygiene standards. The room's carpeting felt and smelled musty, some bathroom towels were torn on the edges, and one hand towel had black crap (I cringe while writing that word) on it - which my son found and showed me. Owing to the tremendous volume of diners, too, the restaurant's tables aren't well-cleaned (sticky and some smelly) and some of the silverware were crooked already.
I hope the hotel's management does something about the facilities and overall cleanliness of the hotel, if it wants its clients to return.
I still like Mandarin Orchard and will hope that on my next visit, things will be better.

Room Tip: I think the lower floors in the main tower are larger than the ones in the Orchard Wing. I remember...
Dear Christine M,

Thank you for your wonderful review on the Asian Hospitality you received at our hotel. I was pleased to read that you were delighted with your check in and check out experience.

Cleanliness at the Mandarin Orchard is a non-negotiable; I was therefore very concerned to read your comments on the cleanliness tissues that you have highlighted. I have shared your observations with the departments concerned.

We are happy that you will be back; my team and I hope that it will be soon.

Mandarin Orchard Singapore.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

It was an annual family holiday. We arrived early. However the room we booked was not ready until 2pm. It was a wise decision made by the reception to have us upgraded to a club room as my son was not feeling well at that time.

I believe the hotel has heard the feedback from the guests that there is no sitting area at the lobby and has taken some measure by pro-actively offered and escorted my wife and kid to the lounge for a sit while I check in at the reception. Thumbs up for this gesture which means a lot and has erased the negative feedback I have read about the hotel. Location was fantastic!

Improvement required : Bag arrived late after we check in and the baby cot arrive late as well when we were upgraded to another room category. I am not blaming the staff looking at the room capacity ( 1050 rooms ) and occupancy rate. The staff must have been exhausted!!

Feedback to the management : There are only 3 staffs on duty at check in and 2 or 3 staffs at check out counter. Just wonder if the staff can work effectively to cater for all guests base on the high occupancy and total rooms of 1050!! However, I do not face any issue during check in and check out as the staffs serving me has done a great job.

Over all rating : Great stay, great staffs, great location, great experience !!

Room Tip: Room temparature was warm at the highest level ( 36th flr )for club room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you chin foo t for choosing to stay with us during your annual family holiday. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and the hospitality you experienced.

Your empathy for our team members is appreciated. We constantly monitor the requirements of our guests and our manning to make sure that guests leave us happy and staff feel great that they have helped contribute to a memorable experience.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back on your next annual family vacation.

new delhi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel in May 2012 for 6 days in club room.

CHECK IN:
On check in I was given a shock as I have made a reservation through booking.com on arrival I was informed that my booking has been cancelled by booking.com so they sugested me to make a fresh reservation using there computer , but on arguing with them for 30 min. and showing them on line at booking.com site that booking is confirmed they agreed and gave us the room.

BREAKFAST:
As I was traveling with one of my kid they never allowed me to have a breakfast at club lounge despite of booking a club room. Moreover every time I visted the breakfast on 4th floor we have to stand in Q for good 30 min to have the same boring breakfast for all 6 days. Believe me, not even one dish was changed in the menu nor the place of that dish, so the same breakfast all 6 days.

SERVICE:
The staff at the club check in counter was not very welcoming and very very anti for kids , even if my kid accompanied me to the checkin counter a day later they were very rude and strait away said no kids here please . I don’t know what adult things are happening there ?

LOCATION:
One thing is for sure that you can not get a better location than this as it is in the centre of the busy orchard road.

Do end with I will like to mention that I stayed in orchard wing which is newly renovated so the rooms are good but small tough I will not suggest this hote as there are many other better hotels are available near to mandarin orchard at much better price like orchard parade ( around 300mtrs away from orchard mandarin on the same road) at half the price of mandarin orchard. We booked 2 rooms as we were 4 adults and 2 kid s well 3 months in advance still they gave us rooms on 2 different floor as they said there hotel is 100 % booked thank to it location.

Room Tip: stay only in there newly renovated orchard wing and not in their main wing .
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank puneetmehra
Dear puneetmehra,

Thank you for sharing your views with all of us; I have your e-mail address. I will be writing to you shortly.

Christoph Szymanski,