“VERY GOOD LOCATION ON ORCHARD”

Ranked #73 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We stayed here in the first week of October, very good posh hotel on Orchards in singapore. hotel is located between Somerset & Orchard MRT station very convinient to commute nook and corner of Singapore. Very spacious from Singapore standard and comfortable beds. Very good bath room with double sink. I stayed on 25th floor with good view of Orchard road. An excellent experience with good break fast and very efficient front desk

Room Tip: opt for a higher floor with the orchard road view
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Dear ARUN63512,

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed our good breakfast and had an efficient front desk experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back again to the Mandarin Orchard Singapore soon.

Mandarin Orchard Singapore

Write a ReviewReviews (10,405)

Reviewed 18 October 2012

When we arrived to the hotel we were offered an upgrade to the executive club for a fee of 100 dollars per night. Even though this might seem a little steep, it was well worth it. I highly recommend the upgrade if; (1) you plan to have breakfast at the hotel (2) you need internet access, and (3) you like to have a relaxing glass of champagne (or more) and refined snacks at the end of the day.
The staff if extremely helpful and kind. The room is nothing particularly greater than the standard, but it is nice, comfortable and clean.
We were to leave so early that we would skip breakfast, so they arranged for a breakfast box to take with us.
It is a pitty that the 360 bar on the top floor is not operating any longer, but the one on the fifth floor is quite good.
Fantastic experience and great service, in a great location, right in the shopping area and close to the train system.

Room Tip: Get the upgrade, it's worth it!

Dear zipi64,

Thank you for your comments. I am thrilled you took the opportunity to be upgraded to one of our Meritus Club rooms and enjoyed the additional benefits that come with the room.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Singapore.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Myself and my wife spent the last night of our Honeymoon (16/10/12) in The Mandarine Orchard, what a disappointment, We didn't arrive at the Hotel until Midnight and the check in was OK, we were told that we had been upgraded to a Club room, that sounded great, until we got into the room....... twin beds when I had sent a request specifically for a double ( great on the last night of a honeymoon) as it was after midnight we were too tired to bother asking to change, the Television didn't work, the room was in dire need of a refurbishment the shower had mould on, and all the joins in the bathroo, had been patched over with silicone, then the face cloths and towelles had stains on them? Upon checkout at around Ten am the young man behind the desk asked me how my stay was and I told him of my disappointment l he then advised me that I should have requested a room in the new Tower if I liked newer rooms then said that I had received the twin room because they had a high occupancy rate, SO wHAT. At over $500.00 AUstralian dollars per night they should make every effort to accommodate a simple request and the room should at least be clean and worthy of the Five stars that the Mandarine orchard awards itself. I know why now that there was a Lady at the check in desk abusing the staff over the state of the room when we arrived, she was moved to the new tower as we were standing there, that might have worked for me and then I wouldn't have this feeling that I have been conned and paid Five star rates for a three Star Hotel. do yourself a favour and book elsewhere on Singapore there is much better Hotels to spend your money with.

Room Tip: Book the Hilton

Dear Chris C,

Thank you again for contacting us, your feedback is certainly noted and we will be working on continually improving thanks to feedback from people like you.

Reviewed 16 October 2012

I stayed in MO for 2 nights during mid Jul with another 2 colleagues, on a corporate booking. After entering my room, I tried to use the phone at my bed side table. It wasn't working so I pulled the table trying to see if the wire was disconnected. To my horror I found a pile of garbage behind the table. The garbage included a lid of a takeaway softdrink cup and a straw! Besides this, the 2 bottles of complimentary water were sitting right on top of the mini bar, but both caps had been unscrewed with water half gone. I called the housekeeping who apologized and got the garbage cleaned and water changed. But the phone was left unfixed for the whole 2 days of my stay, despite my daily reminder to the housekeeping.

Room has been renovated but the bathroom has not.

When I checked out, I found that they had deducted about US$900 from my credit card as deposit without telling me. What is worse is that the $900 had ACTUALLY BEEN DEDUCTED while my room charge for 2 night stay was only about $600. The $300 credit would be credited back to my credit card for me to SLOWLY USE IT UP with my own personl expenditure subsequent to this trip! How ridiculous! I travel quite frequently but have never been to hotel with such a ridiculous deposit policy!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank S T

Dear S T,

It was with disappointment that I read your comments with regards to your most recent stay with us. All our guests should expect a clean, debris free room, which we obviously did not provide on this occasion. I am sincerely sorry for this shortfall, and have spoken to our Executive Housekeeper and our Chief Engineer to counsel the relevant parties involved.

With regards to your credit card, Mandarin Orchard Singapore operates an internationally standard practice of taking a pre-authorization from your credit card to cover the full amount for your accommodation and an amount per night for any incidentals you may have whilst you stay with us. This sum is not debited from your card, however is held by the bank to guarantee payment. Upon check-out, the amount due for the stay is taken and the balance is released by the bank to your card again. I have spoken to our Front Desk Manager to ensure this is explained more clearly upon-check-in.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back again to Mandarin Orchard Singapore soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

as always we were so well looked after at the Mandarin. Super place but most of all super staff. they could not do too much for us. the place has stayed in tune since opening in the 70s when we first knew it. Chicken rice is one of the highlights too.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Dear alan c,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to always be there for your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back again to Mandarin Orchard Singapore soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

We had two separate stays here a week apart.
There always seem to be staff on the floor who don't actually do anything, other than direct you to someone else; and the staff you do need don't seem to be available. There seems to be a bit of "it's not my job" attitude.
We booked on the premise that we could have a late checkout during the first stay and this was disputed on check-in. The front desk staff were not prepared to give any ground and were not easy to deal with.
Missed breakfast the next morning which was according to our travelling companion a good thing as it was so crowded he had to fight to get something to eat. We did try to have a meal at Chatterbox but the queue was so long we gave up.
The return stay was better in that we used club facilities. The room however, which was supposed to be an upgrade to our previous visit was very dark and pokey with a view of the building next door. Dominating the room was an enormous massage chair, which took up valuable space. The room was very tired looking.
The club staff were very helpful and this made up for the poor service downstairs.
This hotel focuses on processing large numbers of people and does not understand that service is more than directing people to a queue.
Despite being on Orchard Road, there must be better value elsewhere.

Dear L D,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Mandarin Orchard Singapore has been known throughout the years as a hotel that focuses on traditional Asian hospitality offered with grace, warmth and care, so it was with disappointment to read your experiences.

Our Meritus Ambassadors are always available to direct people to the places to where they need to go, and be the link across all areas of the hotel – I am sorry if this was not the case during your visit. Have reiterated to our staff the importance at all times to continue to exhibit this signature Asian hospitality that is the Meritus Difference.

I do hope this experience has not taken away Mandarin Orchard Singapore as your hotel of choice, and I look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit.

Reviewed 13 October 2012 via mobile

We decided to have a staycation for our 6th wedding anniversary and thus we chose Mandarin Orchard.

The service staff were attentive and nice but we were disappointed with the room.

Upon check in, the key cards assigned to our room did not work but luckily the housekeeping staff was around and they helped us to open the room while we waited for the cards to be changed. The staff was really fast in getting it sorted.

We have requested for a non smoking room as I am sensitive to the cigarette smell plus we have our 3.5 years old boy with us. Upon stepping into the room, I realized that it smelled of tobacco. My husband said the front desk staff assured him that we have a non smoking room.

This morning I woke up to a nasty headheache and our bathroom smelled like a pub! We would have appreciate it if the staff could have told us straight that we have been allocated a smoking room.

Not a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Dear Luthadel,

Thank you for your feedback, every comment is certainly read and taken on board.

I am sincerely sorry to have read about you having a room that smelled of smoke. Our Housekeeping staff work hard to ensure all rooms are of a great standard at all times, so it was with disappointment to hear your comments.

Our Duty Managers are on hand 24 hours a day to help whenever required, including assisting with changing rooms on the rare occasion that they do not meet our high standards; I do hope you were attended to during your stay with one of our Managers who would have been more than happy to help.

Wishing you many congratulations of your anniversary! Thank you for choosing Mandarin Orchard Singapore, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.