“Plush Decor But Small Double Room and Did Not Feel Special”

Mandarin Orchard Singapore
Ranked #72 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 18 June 2010

I made use of the SGD180++ for 1 double room over Saturday night voucher that came with the "Eat at Meritus" Card. The hotel has very plush decor, but the staff is very cold during reception. The service was not personalised at all. I did not feel special at all in this hotel. Just felt like a statistic in the midst of all the other guests and activities in the hotel. The breakfast was bad. Cheap types of mostly local fare. The Japanese section was just miso soup. Staff working at the breakfast were not smiling at all. In fact, when I insisted on sitting at a certain section, the staff showing us to our table gave us a black face. The double room is quite squeezy, considering that the voucher entitled me to an upgrade to a Premier room on the 16th floor on the new wing. There was nothing premier about it. Again, the decor for the room is posh. The view from my room is not fantastic. Though it faced Orchard Road, all I saw were other tall buildings. The swimming pool was small, too. And it was located at the lobby floor, with some glass panel and grills separating the two. Guests can look at the swimmers through the glass and grills. No staff was manning the towel desk at the pool at all. I just had to collect the towels myself. The dim sum restaurant at the highest floor was rumoured to be very good. S, I tried some dim sum there. It was very expensive, even though I have tasted better dim sum at cheaper prices elsewhere. Nothing to shout about. Overall, I will not stay here again. The decor is nice, but the room and swimming pool are small, the breakfast is bad, and above all, the staff looked non-chalent at best, and rude at worst. I did not feel special.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (10,405)

Reviewed 10 June 2010

Old hotel with renovation long overdue. Staff were very cold. Rooms had a starnge smell and i was staying in one of their club rooms. Not a great hotel to stay in. Location is great though.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2010

I just realize in tripadvisor today this is a 4 stars hotel not a 5 star hotel as 30 yrs ago!! But it is actually more like 4 star hotel w 2 star hotel staff attitude!!!

Me and my family just comeback from spending 3 nights at Mandarin. I had some business to attend and my kids r on holiday so they came w us. 30 yrs ago mandarin was my second home whenever I was in Singapore, I wished to introduce it to my kids too.. but the management was soooo bad my kids said: mom.. I think the hotel not good, actually it's the worst hotel ever!! even the 3star hotel in small city of Indonesia serve their customer better. That is the view of 7 and 5 yrs old kids...

To start: with people line up everyday for check in n check out on 2 lobby floor-1st n 5th floor, the hotel only manage to prepare 4 single chair n 2 table for it guests... later when we checked out and I told the manager he replied "we had hundreds of rooms n it is impossible to provide sitting for al of the guest" Wow.... what an answer... who asked for chairs for everyone?? a long nice bench will be more than enough instead of 4 single chairs!! n I believe that hundreds of other hotels that also has hundreds of rooms manage to provide better place to wait than this so called Meritus Mandarin hotel!!

We got there at 11 something we had to wait for almost 1 hour standing w kids before we went up to our room that we found broken n can't opened. We had to go down again wait another hour to get inside a room that was so tiny.. the bed was really a single bed like 1x2m, w small bathroom. I called the receptionist and asked since I've been staying there soo many times over 30 years and this was the first time I saw they have that small room. The staff agreed to change my room to another tower with 2 conditions: 1> I can not change again, 2.I have to wait for another 3 hours for nonsmoking room as I reserved... I agreed and went downstair. The front desk staff actually was about to gave us the new key directly but then she checked with the inside staff and told us we had to wait 3 hours... I was going to explode w anger but it was already 2 o'clock, my kids had not had lunch so we just said ok n left for lunch. Now that I think about it, my reservation was originally for the main tower plus it was not our fault the first time we switched room.. the room door was broken!!!! to add it, the front office didn't even consider I may need bigger room eventhough I mentioned I need an extra bed!!

Anyway, we went back around 5 and they finally gave us the new key.. we got up waiting for our bags which never come.. and the kids r so cranky already since they wanted to change their clothes.. they were up n on the road since 6 in the morning so my husband went down collected the bags himself. We were so tired we took a nap, when we got up I was about to gave my kids a bath when I saw the bathroom rug was stained... badly, smelly stained.. don't have the heart to spill it here what stain that was!! I just screamed on the phone and the superviser, Mr. Gunalan, came.. said sorry a couple time, changed the rug, gave me his card, asked me how many days I was going to stay... I answered, he said sorry again n that was it... to be honest I was hoping he asked how many days we were planning to stay to gave us an upgrade or some complimentary whatever.. but nooooo!!! that was the last time I heard from the management.

To complete the nightmare, on our last night the electricity went out twice.. superb!!! not to long since I was up and called directly. the next day when we asked for late checked out they just said sorry can't do.. the hotel sooo fully booked!!!! we explained that we got our room around 6PM eventhough we came at 11 something and they still say sorry can't do.. Great!!! to top it out when we settle our bill we were charge breakfast for our first night.. gezzzz how can we had breakfast there when we got our room at 6PM???

Before I left the counter w so much anger the manager approached me, saying sorry n hope I will gave mandarin another opportunity to serve better. I said to him, well I am sorry too but I don't think I will ever comeback.. I rather stayed at 3 star hotel then back in Mandarin... as my kids said.... this hotel just not good.. anymore.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank chinggu
Reviewed 10 June 2010

We booked for 5nights stay at this hotel and had 2 rooms booked for us.
This hotel is very well located ie right in the middle of Orchad Rd, surrounded by all the good malls eg Takashimaya, Paragon etc. just have to walk acroos the street back to the hotel. the hotel has a fantastic mall too.
Staff was polite and prompt. Room service was quick and neat. Food was good.
Breakfast was a well spread affair. But the staff at the entrance of the restaraunt was rude at times , they did nt allow guests into the dining room till someone didn't assist them to the table. and because of that there was always a queue of guests waiting to get in...
Room was clean and worth the money spent.
swimming pool is unimpressive....
security is good...

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Stayed in this hotel for a night and then moved to Hyatt which is just down the road and about 50 dollar more. It worth every penny at the hyatt. The meritius mandarin looked so old and the toilet they have is DISGUSTING. The flooring and the marble furnished they have are old and looks uncleaned, and this is at the "premier room" , whic i paid $340 sing ++ for one night. Terrible, the hotel is so un-organized, you will have to go through a set of shops before getting on the set of lifts that took me to my room. Absolutely rubbish and very poor management, the environment made me feels that i am in a FLEA market rather than a 5 star hotel. If you are thinking to stay in Orchard Road, pick either Marriot or Hyatt. They are both way better !

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2010

This Hotel's new name is MANDARIN ORCHARD by the way and it's located nicely opposide Cineleisure shopping mall and other leading shopping centres. I took the deluxe room for a night and these are the Pros and Cons.

Pros:

1. Spacious room for a deluxe room.

2. Nice bathroom with longbath. Will be better if there's a separate shower.

3. Good amenities.

4. Big bed.

5. Nice and spacious wardrobe.

6. Enough light during the day from the window.

Cons:

1. Complicated check in process. I can imagine if I've many luggages and I've to be directed to the next level to do the necessary check in and then, take my stuff and go to my room. Going to the room can be complicated as well because they've so many "wings" and you might end up going to the wrong tower.

2. The pool is right beside the hotel's lobby. When I swim, I prefer it to be at a nice place with a good and quiet view. Not infront of the many people who walks in and out.

3. The mini-fridge in the room is hidden inside one of the small cupboard. Search for it.

4. The room is separated by a thin wall, I suppose and a connecting door to another room. I can hear the neighboring kids making so much noise even in the middle of the night! My partner and I couldn't get a good sleep at all because of all the baby cries and stuff coming from the next room. Remember also, whatever you say, they can hear you too. Totally no privacy.

5. Ordered room service at 9pm, food arrives at 10:30pm. Ordered a bowl of porridge and some meat sticks. The menu doesn't reflect a very high price, but when you order it, it's scarily expensive. Just the 2 food cost us up to $80! Other than that, the people forgot the pepper, salt, the requested fork and spoon. Felt that they weren't very conscientious about the patron's needs and feelings.

6. If you wake up early, and wish to find breakfast anywhere around your hotel, you'll only be stuck with MacDonald's down at Heeren because nothing is opened until 10:30 - 11:00AM.

For the price I was paying, I believe I could get a much better hotel, at a much better location. I gave Mandarin Orchard a try because of it's location and I wanted to experience the plushness of living in a 5 star rated hotel. However, i was very disappointed.

Things I hope they change:

1. Control of human traffic at the basement. (Shopping level). Although I understand that there's a shopping gallery connecting to the hotel, I feel that the hotel premise should only limit itself to the patrons and visitors and not any stranger(s). The place was filled with just people sitting around on the chairs and we, the real patrons, end up having to stand while waiting to be served.

2. Offer services to bring the patrons up to their room if their room is like way far away from the check in counter. It is terrible if you have to lug your luggage and desperately search for your tower. The staff who served us was pretty rush in telling us where to take the lift from (simply pointing from the counter where she was seated). She showed no sign of offering some help. Left right, left right, ...

3. Better sound proof rooms.

4. Better lit rooms. In the day time, the room's fine. During the night, there's hardly any good light that we can keep on to last the night except the bathroom's.

5. Better room service if you charge so high for service charges.

Frankly, I believe any other hotel out of Orchard Road will do better than Mandarin Orchard.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2010

We stayed for 4 nights and the room was excellent. Serviced efficiently and well. Well equipped and quiet despite its location on Orchard Road. Prices were as expected from this type of rated hotel. However the checking out experience was a nightmare, taking over 30 minutes which was mostly queuing. There are two areas in which you can check out although there are no signs to indicate this. One desk again without signs is dedicated to check in and after queuing to check out, for several minutes,to be told that only check in was allowed was annoying to say the least. The whole checkout procedure was so long winded and is clearly designed for the hotels benefit and not the customer. The hotels selling point is service but in this aspect they fell a long way short of being satisfactory. The porterage, restaurant and bar service were all excellent but watch out for the desk staff.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple