“Good stay”

Ranked #74 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore
“Good stay”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked this hotel for a weekend staycation, and the rates are still rather reasonable considering it's a public holiday weekend. I had made the reservation for a normal room, and the hotel had kindly gave me a room with the Marina Bay Sands view, which is absolutely perfect for viewing the National Day Fireworks. Thank you, Novotel!

Location - It's perfect for guests who love nightlife, as it's just right at Clarke Quay. It's not that great for those who often use the MRT to get around, as it's still about eight minutes walk to the nearest Clarke Quay MRT Station. There's a Starbucks and a 7-11 just downstairs of the hotel, and there's a Japanese Supermarket at the basement of Liang Court, which shared the same building as the hotel.

Room - Perfect. The hotel has a rather oldish exterior facade, but once you step into the lobby and its rooms, you can see that it has been refurbished and maintained at a high standard. King-sized bed is awesome (as with all Accorhotel chains) and the pillows are small but firm. Housekeeping standards are top notched here - the sink is clean and devoid of any stains, bedsheets are spotless. There's also plenty of power sockets for guests to charge their devices. Basic room amenities are there - bedroom slippers, complimentary bottles of water, hairdryer, disposable shaver, shaving cream, etc. The only thing I find lacking is that I've stated that there's two of us in the room, but there's only one toothbrush being provided. Also, it was slightly disappointing that cotton ear buds were not provided.

Wifi signal is very strong with good download speeds (YouTube is perfectly smooth), so make sure you sign up to be AccorHotel member to enjoy complimentary Wifi. There are also quite a few cable channels that's bound to satisfy someone in your group - Discovery channel, Nat Geo, MTV Asia, etc. However, we took some time to actually figure out how to maneuver the internal menu with the TV remote. Gone was the good old days of pressing numbers on the remote to get to the channels. Instead, you had to navigate through an in-house TV menu to choose the TV channels that you want. It wouldn't be so bad if the menu and remote control are intuitive enough, but unfortunately it took us a while to finally get the channels we wanted to watch.

Breakfast is actually forgettable (sorry, Novotel). Scramble eggs tasted plain. There's no taste of the eggs, nor milk. Best is to just stick with pre-processed food like hashbrown (you can't go wrong with that!), pastries (which I believe the kitchen just ordered from a caterer), cereals, sausages, etc. The fruits are truly fresh and sweet though (I've almost never ate such sweet honeydew ever! Is it the honeydew season now?). So thumbs up for that.

I suppose the best part of the stay (apart from watching fireworks in our room) is the friendliness of the hotel staff. From the check-in counter to the housekeeping crew, all of them are just full of smiles and very helpful. It's the same guy who checked me in and out (I believe his name is Jin Fa?), and there's really nothing I can fault him with. He might have been a trainee as I saw a "I'm Learning" button pinned to his blazer, but he's just as professional and competent as every other staff I see there.

I've always love Novotel for their no frills, standard business-style rooms, and Novotel Clarke Quay has again met my expectations. Will definitely recommend this hotel to my overseas friends.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
KGBossino, General Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Rainne_T,

All of us at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed the central location of our establishment and had an overall pleasant stay with us. Your compliments have also been shared with Jin Fa and the rest of the teams, which I am certain, will serve as an encouragement as we strive to continuously improve our products and the quality of our services.

You may also be pleased to know that additional toothbrushes are readily available upon request.

We value all feedback received as it helps us to better understand and meet our guests’ needs during their stay. Hence, your comments and suggestions for improvement of our Breakfast services and guest-room TV manuals have been passed onto the relevant Department Heads for further discussion.

Thank you for our patronage and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

With Best Regards,
Kevin Bossino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (959)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 August 2014

When we checked in at 11.30pm the staff member was very nice and quick in getting us in. Also our requests for a room away from the lifts and with a view was met .We had a great stay without any hassle and the location was a stone throw away from the night scene.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ru553ll
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Novatel Clarke Quay. We were fortunate to receive an upgrade to a suite which was wonderful. The bed and linen were so luxurious. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating. We were allowed to return to the hotel after we checked out to use the facilities as our flight didn't leave until 9.00pm. We were able to use the pool showers before our flight. That was the only downside. We did appreciate the use of the showers however the cubicles could do with an update. The staff kept my medication in the fridge for me until we returned, I was very grateful. I would highly recommend the Novatel Clarke Quay.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you may here loud music coming from the nightspots however it did not af...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Tolga, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the Novotel Clarke Quay and the accommodation and service were fantastic. I am a member of Accor advantage plus and took advantage of the 2 for 1 meal deals as eating in the immediate area Clarke Quay is very expensive. The food in the Hotel was great, lots to chose from and variety was great. Including lots of Asian food. The location was excellent lots to see and do around the Quays and also we could see The Gardens on The Bay from our room. Taxi fares are cheap compared to Australia so not a problem getting around.

Room Tip: We heard no noise from our room. ask for views of the Bay area we were on level 22. Only noise was m...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The saving grace of this hotel is the rooms. Although the décor is as expected for a mainstream 4* hotel the rooms are larger than I expected and finished to quite a high standard. That said, there were some minor quirks – the lighting system in our room was perhaps slightly faulty or maybe just overly complicated. There was a lighting control panel by the door and by the bed, but certain light switches would only work from one of these panels. The bathroom was on the small side although this was largely due to the generously sized rain shower which was great. If the a/c had been off for a few hours while we were out for the day there did tend to be a fairly strong smell of drains in the bathroom but this went away once the air had been circulating again for a while.

The room was well cleaned every day and fresh water replenished. Some teas to use would have been appreciated rather than only providing instant coffee.

Although the hotel was not in any way run down or grotty it did fall short of our expectations. This was because when I arrived at 8pm after a long flight my room was not ready, the check-in assistant was tapping away on his computer for about 15 minutes while I just stood there, before finally conceding that my room wasn’t ready and offering me a non-alcoholic ‘welcome drink’ at the rather unrelaxing bar in the foyer. At this point I was running late to meet friends for dinner which was unfortunate. A similar scenario presented itself at check-out where I waited at least 20 minutes to hand my keys back while the Concierge or GM hovered nervously around the queue doing nothing that really helped anyone out.

The hotel is accessed via a lift from ground level to reception, and then another lift to the rooms. The lifts had a habit of the doors closing on people if you didn’t get in within seconds, and people often found themselves nearly getting squashed by the doors because they didn’t seem to bounce back open. There was also frequently a queue to get into the lift from reception/foyer to ground level. The foyer was always very busy and not a pleasant area to have to pass through to get in/out of the building.

The pool is very nice, although we were only able to use it once as every other time it was full of families and there were no beds/lounges available for use, and no possibility of having a ‘quiet’ swim without being splashed or crashed into by all the children playing. There was a dividing rope down the middle of the pool, if this was meant to be a divider for recreational use/lap swimming or to mark out a children’s section there was no staff member there to enforce this. The gym is in a pokey little room in the basement where the a/c didn’t seem to work as effectively as other areas of the hotel – I only used it once.

The staff try hard but seem to miss the mark, they just don’t seem trained enough to cope with the volume of people at this hotel, or maybe it’s just that the hotel is understaffed and the staff are overstretched.

Lastly – although I was lucky enough to get free wi-fi on a promotional offer this hotel usually charges for wi-fi. Like all big hotel chains people pay a decent amount of money for these rooms and wi-fi should be included. I arrived at this hotel having travelled throughout Asia and staying in much more basic hotels all of which offered free wi-fi. The wi-fi connection was seamless though.

Would I stay again? for the price I paid no I wouldn’t, there are better alternatives.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ebrin436
KGBossino, General Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear EBrin436,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are truly delighted to hear that you were thoroughly satisfied with the size of our rooms and our shower facility. However, we are deeply sorry to hear that the issues you have highlighted in your review above.

At Novotel, our main goal is to ensure our guests’ satisfaction with every aspect of the stay thus every action, effort or step taken by our team is to achieve this goal. Consequently, we will ensure to contact you personally via email so that we can better understand your experience at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay. In the meantime, kindly rest assured that your comments will be used as a motivating tool for our team to find areas we may need to improve on.

Your comments have also been escalated to the Department Managers concerned and we will step-up on our training efforts to ensure that all our new team members provide only the highest level of service to all of our guests.

Once again, we are sorry for your less than satisfactory stay. As mentioned in our previous e-mail, we will be in touch with you again shortly.

With Best Regards,