“Expensive Novotel with low service”

Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay
Ranked #78 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stay two times this August at Novotel Clarke Quay. The Hotel has an excellent location as it is right on Clarke Quay restaurant and shopping area with great restaurants and bars to walk at night and have fun.
The priority counter for Accor Gold members doesn’t work at all. Both times I wait there but nobody show up. You wait and wait and when nobody is at the main counter they will call you. They don’t bother to come to you. The check-in of my second visit took at least 20 minutes! Why? I don’t know. I had booked the room at the Accor site as usual and even show her the confirmation number.
The rooms are Novotel standard but with very funny light system. The bed lights, left or right, don’t work separately. You have to turn ‘on’ or ‘off’ both at the same time. The room lights still very old fashion with central panel to control all room as old days.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank dxlow
KGBossino, General Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Been to Singapore before but this time I was joined by my almost 13 year old Hannah for a weeks visit. Wouldn't have normally considered it as I hadn't stayed there before but it was recommended by a friend who had recently been there. The tip was to get a Premier room & that was a success - we actually took the Explore Singapore package with Premier Lounge access, breakfast, unlimited WiFi. Access to the lounge was great as you could opt to have breakfast there - at the weekend we slept late & the dining room was busy but when we went to the lounge it was empty so ideal.
The Premier rooms are on the top three floors so have the best views and the lounge served complimentary food and drink from 6 till 8 - ideal as we were just usually returning from our exploration of Singapore.

Location ideal at Clarke Quay close to MRT - which can connect you with anywhere but importantly only a couple of stops to Harbourfront station from where you have a couple of choices to get across to Sentosa Island - the Express or Cable Car. Not far from anywhere - Chinatown & Little India were both easily accessible and big favorites.

Hotel looks dated from the outside but is fresh & modern inside - it curiously starts on the 6th floor above a mall with reception on 7 so you need to change lifts to get from the lobby to your room but you soon get used to that. The facilities were all there - choice of restaurants and food, ball room & function suites, nice pool, gym (small) and bar. Staff were very friendly and attentive paying particular attention to my daughter which made her feel special. Highlight was watching the National Day fireworks from the lounge - which I expected to be busy but wasn't, a real bonus as it is a great view to the Marina Bay

Definitely recommended

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Premier Room & request a room facing downriver towards the Marina Bay Sands
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
KGBossino, General Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Alex W,

Thank you for choosing the Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay; we are very glad to receive your positive review.

I am pleased to hear that our team was able to provide you and your daughter a comfortable stay. Kind compliments such as yours inspire the team to consistently ensure our products and services are at the highest standards, and as such, we are truly thankful.

Our central location does indeed offer guests with some amazing views and we are pleased to know that this feature was the highlight of your stay over Singapore’s National Day.

Thank you for your patronage and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here as a family with 2 other families. Enjoyed the pool, was nice and deep, plenty of chairs and was never too busy. Buffet breakfast was included and had plenty of variety and was nice. We decided to have a few drinks at the happy hour, this is where we got stung! I checked with the bar staff if the drink I wanted was a part of happy hour and was assured it was, we were shocked to discover when we got the bill that it wasn't so the few drinks I had ended pushing our bill up a fair bit. When we questioned the bill we were told the food and beverage manager wasn't available to check with so we had no option but to pay up. Service in the bar was slack, we had to remind staff a couple of times about drinks we had ordered that they seemed to have forgotten despite the fact there was only four other people there!. Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tracy L
KGBossino, Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Tracy L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. While I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our swimming pool facilities and were satisfied with the variety of food served at The Square Restaurant, I share your disappointment with the service you received at the Le Bar Rouge during your visit. On behalf of the team, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you and your family encountered.

Your experience is truly concerning as it is certainly not the level of service we strive to provide our valued guests hence I would like to look into your comments further. If you could find the time to provide us with your booking information through H5993-GM3@accor.com, I will look into the matter personally.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We are a family of three and stayed very comfortably. Our room was large enough to accommodate all our luggage as we stayed 4 days while in transit. The location was perfect as we could easily walk to other area sites. A big thanks to Kumi, for all her assistance. The staff in General were are very helpful. My only complaint was that there was no internet in the room- other than that we would certainly stay again.

Dear Dawn D,

Thank you for your kind review of Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay.

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed our convenient location and had an overall pleasant stay with us.

Your compliments have been shared with Kumi and the rest of the team, which I am sure, will serve as an encouragement as we strive to continuously improve our products and the quality of our services.

We are grateful for all our guest feedback; hence please rest assured that your comment about the internet connection in your room has been highlighted to our IT manager to relevant Department Heads for further review and appropriate action.

Your patronage is much appreciated and we hope to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

It all depends why you book this hotel for. If you are looking for nightlife, restaurants (few) and a stroll down the river then its location really does it, since this hotel seats right next to Clarke Quay and a stroll away from Riverside, which I think it's a far better place for dining (check Limoncello).
The hotel itself is pretty standard and averGe for this class in Singapore, so no news here: you can find slightly better or slightly worse, depending on you luck.
If anything, the room is rather small and ok for a very short stay, breakfast good but can get crowdy

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Novotel Clarke Quay for 4 nights and were disappointed with different aspects of our stay. The room was small (not really a problem) and very clean. However there wasn't one drawer that we could unpack our clothes into. So we lived out of our case which is something I don't like to do. Even the hanging space was tiny. In the bathroom there was a bad smell coming from the drain....and when I first bent down to sit on the loo, I hit my head on the shower screen! This room was obviously meant for small people, I'm short but my husband isn't. The only time we had breakfast in the hotel, it was all cold....bacon, eggs tomatoes, etc... so we didn't eat breakfast there again especially at $30.00 a head. It was far cheaper in the many nearby restaurants at Clarke Quay. The two good things were that the location was fabulous and the view from our window was amazing. If I stayed there again I would be asking for a better room and not accepting what we were given first up.

Room Tip: Don't accept the room you're given if you don't like it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Janne002,

I am very sad to read your comments regarding your recent visit to our hotel and regret to note your disappointment with several aspects of your stay. I understand that my team has already been in touch with your husband through e-mail upon receipt of his feedback through our online hotel survey. Nonetheless, I would like to once again extend our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you and your husband experienced.

Your review has certainly raised several areas of concern that need to be addressed; this will certainly inspire us to strive harder in servicing our future guests. Thank you for very much for sharing your thoughts with us and we sincerely hope you can read the email we have sent in a positive view, which will encourage you to give us another opportunity of welcoming you again in the future. Meanwhile, please feel free to contact me directly at H5993-GM3@accor.com if I can be of further assistance.