“Disappointing stay for a 5 star hotel”

Regent Singapore, A Four Seasons Hotel
Ranked #27 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing stay for a 5 star hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Before I review this hotel, I stay in a range of accommodation on my travels ranging from no star to 5 star and base all my reviews on value for money and expectations.

I stayed at The Regent for 5 nights with my mum as a stop over before going to Indonesia. Our flight arrive early morning and we got to the hotel at 9am. We had to wait until 12pm to check into a room which was tiring after a long flight from London but as their policy was check in at 3pm it was not a problem. So we waited in the hotel lobby.

Upon check in, I must of not heard that our room was a double. As I was on holiday with my mum sharing a double bed for 5 nights is completely unacceptable as we had requested a twin room. After discovering this, back to reception we went to change rooms. This time we got a twin room which I cannot understand why we didn't in the first place.

Exhausted we had a nap for about an hour and then realised our suitcases had not turned up. We phoned reception and eventually got our bags to change clothes etc. Again not 5 star hospitality at it's best!

We went out for the rest of the day and came back to go straight to bed. The room was really noisy I could hear what sounded like hot water pipes going on and off for hours. At first I assumed someone in the room next to us was taking the world's longest shower, but got up to investigate and discovered our room was next to a linen room which explained the noise! So at 2am, another visit to reception to change rooms! The staff were really good I have to say as and we got upgraded to a suite twin room which was really nice of them.

This room was much better, however I still found it really noisy but kind of assumed the whole hotel suffers the same problem. I am not sure if it was an old air con system or water pipes. You also hear a lot of noise from the corridors and road outside. Not the greatest nights sleep!

The interior is very outdated and the carpets and fabrics are stained in areas. The bed linen is stiff and over starched. Needs a bit of renovation.

No free wifi or breakfast which is disgusting for the price but many 5 star hotels are like this. The pool is tiny for the size of the hotel.

Some positives: good gym facilities, staff were friendly and helpful, near Orchard Road and botanic gardens.

Overall I would not stay again. But definitely will come back to Singapore it was an amazing place I loved it!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights from the 21st January before going on the Eastern & Oriental Express. It's a good luxury hotel with wifi, comfy bed, good facilities including a swimming pool and sun area which is good for a city hotel, helpful staff including conceige who gave good information for getting to places, where to catch buses etc, good location near Orchard Road. Will stay again. We arrived late as plane delayed because of the snow the indian restaurant happy to serve us even though they had officially closed. food fab

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

I like this hotel due to far from hustle bustle orchard road. spacious junior suite and clean room > breakfast also Good, hope to add more asian in the morning . what i like most, i just can walk to have coffe Brunetti at Tanglin Mall . so Relaxing and enjoyable.

Room Tip: this hotel very close to Supermarket and Tanglin Mall, that u can provide some lil shopping or groce...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

First experience of Singapore. Regent Hotel is of great value.
Rooms are large and very comfortable, free wifi, large LCD TV.
Staff absolutely delicious, helpful and professionnal.Pool attendant very friendly and efficient.
Special mention for the lobby, beautifully decorated, with red marble and plenty of orchids.
Located near Orhard Road, at the end of it, but it is rather a good point, because quieter.
Negative points: swimming pool is small, and very noisy because of some air conditionning sytem around.
Breakfast and lunch buffet outpriced, but probably average in Singapore, which is an expensive city.
Will stick to this hotel anyway when i come back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Tangerang, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

I stayed there for several days in late April 2012 (for the first time stayed in a luxury hotel). I stayed in a double-bed room. The room itself was cozy, but I was under the impression that the decor's a bit dated. Free wifi was available (and worked well in my room), plus the supplied soaps, shampoos and lotions from the hotel were nice quality products.

Breakfast & lunch were very nice, plenty of selection to choose from (we had buffet). Food quality was top-notch too. Service was great; the waiters are quick to respond and attentive.

Location was OK, it was within walking distance to Orchard Road and MRT station.

Overall the hotel is recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

The hotel was very nice and clean. Free WIFI was provided which was an added bonus. While it is close to Orchard Street, I would caution that it is at the very end of the Shopping District. Not necessarily a bad thing but it does require a walk. There is a mall (Tanger) right next door which has a small Food Court.

Overall Singapore is a beautiful city. We got tour guide using Toursbylocal.com. We saw all the highlights in 3 hours.

You should definately go on the Singapore Flyer!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many time, mostly for business trips, but also the occasional family vacation. Although the hotel is old on Singapore standards, it is a well maintained quality classic.

The rooms are large, on my recent stay I noticed that they were renovating the rooms. Room and bathroom were all very high quality.

The fitness center has new equipment and is open 24 hours. There is an outdoor pool. And for joggers, the Botanical Garden is close.

The staff are very professional and friendly, and really do go out of their way to help where they can.

I can't say enough good things about this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor...the common area can get hot with the skylight.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
JeffRednourHotelMgr, Manager at Regent Singapore, A Four Seasons Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2013
Dear A_Faiote,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. So glad to hear you can't say enough good things about the hotel! Looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Kind regards,