“Asian luxury”

Ranked #15 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Edinburgh
“Asian luxury”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This is a beautiful, first-class, international hotel which manages to do that most rare of things, that is, it retains an Asian 'feel' about it, though the decor and the design of everything. You wake up in so many hotels and feel that you could be anywhere - not so in the Mandarin Oriental. This is exquisite under-stated modern-in-a-classic-way South East Asian design. The staff and the service are first-class - friendly and informed. It's not cheap, but it's worth it - for my money it beats the faceless international chains hands down.

Room Tip: Try to get a harbour-facing room, particularly if there is an event on in Marina Bay.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,079)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We actually checked into the Mandarin Oriental after deciding to move out of Marina Bay Sands Hotel due to its appalling service.

My wife was keeping her fingers crossed that Mandarin Oriental would nice disappoint, and not only were we pleasantly surprised, we ended up having one of our best stays there ever!

The interior of Mandarin is just impressive. The rooftop swimming pool is to die for. The service is unbelievable. Everyone is smiling, service is fast. Its location is central. Will definitely go back there again.

Room Tip: Try the pool on the roof. Simply breathtaking
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter J
Canton of Ticino, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We booked a standard room in connection with Singapore Airlines as one night stopover from our trip back from Australia. This gave us the possibility to have an extended checkout time till 18:00 on the second day as flights to europe leave around midnight. I stayed in this hotel more than a decade ago for business reasons and therefore I'm quite aware that oriental hospitality is absolutely legendary. Well, upon checking-in we've been offered a free upgrade to a "city suite" located on the 8th. floor of the building. Unbelivable: as we walked into the room we found ourselves located in the equivalent of a luxury 2 rooms contemporary city flat with a living room, a bedroom, two separate bathrooms, bath tub, shower and a separate dress room. Now who wants to leave on the next day? In the evening we had a great dinner in Cherry Garden cantonese restaurant inside the hotel. A huge surprise was the breakfast buffet on the next morning. Mandarin Oriental managed to wonder me again! Now the buffet features the largest selection of standard, continental, asian, indian food I ever witnessed. Square meters and square meters of breakfast proposals to choose from, individually introduced to you by the waitresses as you walk into the room in an example of perfect asian organisation.
Amazing.
BTW take time to visit the pool with bay view on 5th floor.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sekok
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We adored this place - we stayed here on our honeymoon (it was my second visit as I'd stayed previously with work). It's huge, not the usual sort of boutique hotels that we choose. The staff are superb, the quality of the rooms and furnishing is wonderful, the food in the restaurants (particularly the wonderful Dolce Vita) excellent - fantastic. The views from some of the rooms are just fantastic - see our photographs! It's also very well located - the Singapore Flyer, Marina Bay casino, Raffles and Clarke / Boat Quay are all within walking distance.

My only gripe was that, on booking, I asked for a rate including the buffet breakfast (we did for everywhere we stayed on our honeymoon). I got a corporate rate (as I'd stayed there before with my employer) but, on arrival, I was told this was not included. It's a shame as the buffet breakfast is like nothing I've ever seen - phenomenal variety and quality, but they were insistent that my rate did not include it. I know I asked for it, and it was possibly just a rate mix-up, but frustrating none the less.

Irrespective of the rate issue, we'd definitely return - a flagship jewel for Mandarin Oriental, and a wonderful, relaxing place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms seem to vary by size, for any given floor. Corner / end rooms seem the biggest (although even...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank foggy74
Hong Kong
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Stayed for 3 night at this lovely hotel last week - it has a very nice atrium and the main lifts are bubble lifts - very nice indeed!

Rooms are very well appointed, just nice and there is a "cascading" balcony design to it. Located at the heart of the "newish" city center (Marina Bay CBD area), it's very convenient for the business traveler working in at the Suntec City area (and also if you're into malls there are 2 (or 3) malls located in its area. But is not quite at the center "center" of the city so make travel/walking allowances when planning (remember however that Singapore is NOT a huge city and I recommend walking all around!)

The only strange this was the bathroom is a little elongated - its got everything really, but looks long! :)

The TV system was also a bit of a mystery to get going but it was relatively simple really so read the TV remote instruction sleeve - seriously, it's something one should do before calling the engineering folks! (I learned my lesson there - it was SUPER SIMPLE!!)

If you are able to get a bayview room, please do so as you would catch a most beautiful view of the seaview and the CBD skyline. So worth it!

I will be back again soon and will hopefully be able to upload/update with photos and possibly try the food there!

Room Tip: There is a hawker food center just across the street from the hotel next to the Esplanade mall - mus...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a family trip to Singapore and all I can say about the Mandarin Oriental is "simply breathtaking....." Hotel staff went all the way to make sure that we were comfortable throughout our stay there. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded from a Mandarin grand room to a junior suite at their highest level floor which was an unexpected surprise. The rooms were huge and very luxurious. My wife and son really loved the bed. Very comfortable and the bed coverings were extremely soft and pleasing. We had breakfast at "the Melt" every morning and the food selection was huge and very satisfying. My wife commented that she kept looking forward to returning to our hotel after spending our days outside. Hotel is not cheap, but what you get is more than what you invest at this wonderful hotel. Oh, by the way, the fitness center is marvelous and the swimming pool is a "must try"! Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank icefresh
Mooloolaba, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I just loved this hotel I have never experienced such fantastic service. When I left my room in the morning and pressed button please make up my room staff magically appeared and cleaned room.Concierge was just exceptional so helpful and friendly. Breakfast was unbeliavable the food options would suit everyone. Turn down service in the evening was again magical no matter what time you went out the room service was completed. Hotel staff greeted you by name how did they remember. This hotel has the best customer service I have ever experienced

Room Tip: Ocean room was great
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple