“Amazing Hotel and Service”

Mandarin Oriental, Singapore
Ranked #15 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Queensland, Australia
“Amazing Hotel and Service”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We were transiting through Singapore to Koh Samui and stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Singapore for three nights.

We were greeted by the most friendly staff at drop off and this continued all the way to the Front Desk where we were greeted by a young lady who began our check in. As we are a family of 6 we had 2 rooms and although not together they were on the same floor. With my children's ages this was no issue.

Daniel at the front office was very professional,thorough and informative. A great first impression!!

We were escorted to our rooms by to young ladies (2 Rooms) who gave us a quick tour checked if we needed anything else and left us to our own devices. A great touch. The rooms (City Suite) are furnished at what I would call the top end, all of very high quality and tastefully decorated.

The restaurants at this hotel are many with Melt being our pick, and the International Buffet night being an absolute must!! The staff were fantastic each morning and paid particular attention to you if you were staying more than one night. A special mention to both Wai Meng, and Jumel who were fantastic. Wai Meng took the time to chat with us, give us shopping advice and always used our names. Very impressed.

We were looking at Marina Bay Sands as another alternative but I am very glad we chose this option. I can honestly say that I could not fault this hotel. From start to finish we were impressed. This will be my Hotel in Singapore when next we visit!!!

Room Tip: City Suites are huge!!! including a generous sitting room....
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DaffyDoyle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,089)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Long Beach, California, United States
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My wife and I stay at a lot of 5 star hotels around the world and love some and am sorely disappointed. Of all the hotels we've stayed at, this takes the cake when it comes to service. Despite being a fairly large hotel, my wife and I felt special the entire time.

We were there Jan 2-5 for our anniversary. We were greeted with a bottle of wine and chocolates. Everyone knew us by name.The breakfast was impeccable. Everyone from the doormen to the managers were excellent.

I have never stayed at any other Mandarin, but because of this visit I assure you I will be staying at another.

To put my review into perspective: I spend a lot of time on TripAdvisor. Pick my hotels through all of your advice and am very picky when it comes to service.

Pros: Service, hotel view, breakfast, beds were amazing

Cons: The lobby isn't the most grand or large (but honestly its still a very nice entrance).

Room Tip: Pay for the view of the bay. Its worth it.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Farshid K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

Met with a very warm welcome at reception and was immediately shown up to the room for check-in and paper work in the room not at the front desk which is great after a 12 hour flight and I wish more hotels would do the same. The breakfast buffet is world class and has an extensive high quality selection. The lunch buffet is equally good and the Italian restaurant by the pool is equally good. Front facing rooms have amazing views. My two issues are - firstly the room lighting is inadequate and too dark to read anywhere except at the desk and secondly the Concierge is too quick to pass you off to get you away from the desk (I was directed to a city bus tour that did not arrive for an hour as he failed to point out the start time). Overall a very solid business hotel.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mildred2011
San Jose
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Overall a comfortable hotel with typically polite Singaporean hospitality and clean, well kept rooms.

Lobby: B. Clean, spartan, contained, and well kept. Unlike a lot of hotels with an open and spacious lobby this one is a bit more contained. The lifts are nearby - what's interesting is the space opens up on the 4t and 5th floors where the meetings rooms, restaurants, and exit to the pool and gym facilities are. So, a bit of an odd configuration but it works. Lobby staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Room: B. Clean, well decorated, good space, desk with internet, separate shower and bath. In rooms mini-bar was well stocked. Hotel provides daily water bottles at no charge. I had a bit of trouble figuring out the lights but honestly didn't put a lot of work into it. Used the master switch at the entrance all the time rather than attempting to figure out out to turn off lighting individually.

Gym/Pool: A-. About 8 treadmills, 4 bikes, a set of weight machines and a squat rack. Well equipped, well kept, very clean. Staff was friendly and knowledgable; handed you a towel and water bottle when checking in. Additional water bottles and fruit available. On the pool, while I didn't use it you'll see I did take a photo. Very beautiful and well used with cozy cabana's all around. Wish I'd had the time to enjoy it!!!

Restaurants: A - Only restaurant I used was "The Melt" for Breakfast. Very nice buffet with everything you could want. Two omelet stations, belgian waffles, and more. Full American, Indian, European, and Japanese style stations. They had it all. Service was amazing. After the first day the staff remembered not only where we sat the day prior but also greeted us by name. Amazing! Note there are other restaurants on-site, including a Morton's Steakhouse. I can't comment on these other venues since I didn't use them.

Location: B - 10 minute walk to the Marina Bay Sands Hotel, Mall, and Convention Center and right on Marina Bay. Everything is close in Singapore so location is typically not an issue.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank borad
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Great hotel, expensive but worth it. Amazing panoramic view at Marina Bay Sands, Merlion & Singapore flyer, both awesome day and night. Good in-room dining service, fast and delicious. Best bed I ever sleep at :-) soft & comfortable like cloud.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Asleptsova
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 January 2013

At the beginning of our 2 week Singapore/Bali trip we spent 3 nights at the mandarin oriental and in the end of the journey we spent 1 night at the marina bay sands... because of their pool. having seen both i have to say that they are both great. the MBS pool is definitely unique.. the pool area of the mandarin oriental is beautiful. you have a wonderful view over the whole marina including marina bay sands hotel, the egg-shell like museum, fullerton hotel etc. etc. The staff around the pool is very very kind, the italian restaurant at the pool side is delicious. well and the rest of the hotel; it's a good 5* hotel. For that price you find a few of those. but not with this location, not with this pool. i am sure there are some hotels that are slightly nicer, maybe a bit more modern, design or stylish in singapore.. but i'm quite certain that the MO has the best pool and the best view.. ups.. almost forgot... the breakfast buffet is not cheap.. but it's the probably the best with the most variety i've ever seen... absolutely amazing (and; normally i do NOT eat breakfast except at MO Singapore).

Room Tip: a room with view over the marina is more expensive but worth it... the view is amazing!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank lilibern
Mumbai
Reviewed 18 January 2013

It is one of the best and value for money, It is in heart of the town and good in all respects. Basically best for frequent travellers.I had been to this hotel several times and it sounds very nice to be there.

Room Tip: Should prefer it for busienss travellers
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business