“Ruined by check in times”

Mandarin Oriental, Singapore
Ranked #16 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Pros:
- Great food/drinks in restaurants/bars inside hotel
- Gym is one of the best hotel gyms. They have free weights (barbell, 20kg plates) and a smith machine + some other equipment
- Pool has city views and has plenty of space

Cons:
- Last week of December, check in time was 2pm. We arrived at 4pm however the room was not ready until 9pm. Smoking floors were given to us after specifically stating we were non smokers. Hotel paid for drinks and meal. I suspect the reason is over booking thus the cleaners had not enough time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed on two different occasions once in December for 2 nights and again in January for one night and on both visits on the Club Floor with access to the Club Lounge were worth the extra cost as the breakfast (buffet and menu), afternoon snacks, evening cocktails and free internet are definitely worth it. The service was/is outstanding and you are made to feel that you are a valued guest. You can also have two garments pressed at no charge though we didn't use that service. On the Club Floor there is also late checkout (4 pm) that is especially nice if you have a late flight to the airport. Compliments to the Club Floor staff.

We had rooms 1928 and 2028 that had views of the harbor, 45 story ferris wheel, the Marina Bay shopping mall, Gardens by the Bay, and the hotel with the boat on top and those are all within walking distance of the hotel. I'd ask for a room on this side of the hotel.

Service throughout the hotel is outstanding and a visit to Cherry Garden restaurant is definitely worth a visit as the food and service were outstanding. I'd recommend dining on the early side (6:30) as the restaurant gets quite busy around 8 pm. Special thanks to Dilys Su, her staff, and the Chefs for a memorable dining experience.

Dinner at the Dolce Vita was a bit of a disappointment as the food came out of the kitchen not very hot and the recommended Pasta trio (Chef's choice) was nothing special and rather bland. My better half made the same comment about his meal.

Within easy walking distance of the hotel there is a hotel with what looks like boat on top, I'd recommend that you take the elevator to the 56th floor for a panoramic view of the city and surrounding sights. There is a fee (I don't remember but think it was $25). This attraction is Skypark. There is a standup food kiosk at the top if you want/need something to eat.

If you like to shop, the Marina Bay Mall is huge and just a short walk. As a matter of fact, you walk through this mall to get to the Gardens by the Bay and Skypark.

A visit to Gardens by the Bay and especially the Cloud Forest (fee) is worth a visit. You can easily spend a full day at this attraction though we only visited the Cloud Forest and enjoyed a walk through the gardens.

The weather was cloudy so we didn't try the 45 story ferris wheel, but on a clear day the views must be magnificent.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

If you are here for NY eve - take a room with a harbour view and enjoy fireworks.
The service is bad. You can wait forever for your room service order. Internet is expensive (like in the most of the hotels in Singapore). We booked a "festive dinner" at the Dolce Vita restaurant 5 floor. While we were eating - in the poos people were screaming and swimming. So we consider it's not really "festive"....
Too many people on breakfast but this is normal for NY eve.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank David_Mardashev
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My family shared a beautiful suite which more than accommodated the four of us. With a large lounge area and ample room to stow luggage - not forgetting the powder room on top of a large bathroom - it really felt like a pamper. The breakfast was excellent and all of the staff were very helpful, from the time we checked in right through to check out, we felt at home and as though any request could be fulfilled without a hassle.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite and perhaps this enhanced the overall size. The east side of the hotel afford...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Stop_Stay
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore during a short stop over in October 2013 - on my way to Melbourne. I booked a club room looking over the bay. Everything from check-in to the club room was excellent. One of the best hotel experiences i had. Wonderful staff and lovely room with very nice views over the bay. I can't recommend this hotel enough. The pool was lovely, the staff was helpful and smiling. Hopefully i will have the chance to come visit Singapore again in the near future. Mandarin Oriental Singapore is a home away from home - what more would you ever need !!!

Room Tip: Get a club room looking over the Bay. The snacks at the Club Room were amazing.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Christian S
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Can't believe this hotel gets such positive reviews or is part of the the same family as london and HK branches.
Decor stuck in the 80s
Tiny rooms
Paid wifi
Pool to small for number of guests, all beds gone by 8am. Saw guests having to put towels in floor to lie down somewhere. Pool service for drinks very slow.
Non existent evening turndown comprised of breakfast menu on pillow, no fresh towels etc
Don't bother calling reception they never pick up
Breakfast reminded me of a cheap cruise ship / ferry. Mass scramble to badly laid out display.
Any high value fruit not offered or on ration.
Miserable breakfast terrace outside and darkened restaurant inside.
Usually stay at excellent ritz carlton, thought I would broaden our horizons, never again.

Do not stay at this property that is in desperate need of extreme makeover.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mronion
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Our stay was so exceptional, I wrote a letter to the GM saying so. We stayed on a high floor overlooking the pool, Marina Sands and the treetops of Gardens By The Bay. Here are a few highlights of the letter...

"My husband and I just left the Mandarin Oriental Singapore yesterday and would like to share a few thoughts regarding our stay. I've spent 14 weeks of the last 6 months on the road in countless hotels, in 11 different countries, and I am compelled to tell you that our stay at the Mandarin Oriental Singapore was exceptional in every way. MO Singapore certainly meets the mark on comfortable, well-designed rooms, lovely public spaces and an outstanding location. More importantly, Mandarin Oriental Singapore demonstrates a level of customer service that sets them apart from their hotel “peers.” I dislike the term “customer service” as it hints of something functional instead of personal. The service we experienced at the hotel felt deeply personal and MO Singapore should be proud of all of their Singapore staff...front desk, housekeeping, door staff and spa staff. We would like to send our greatest respects and thanks to Mr. Anshul Pathania, who’s warm and personable style made us feel warmly welcomed every day of our week-long stay. Mr. Pathania was an integral part of our exceptional experience at Mandarin Oriental Singapore. I would also like to mention your outstanding pool side staff. My husband and I rarely get to spend any time together, much less any time to relax together. The staff at the pool made exceptional effort to make those few precious hours together truly relaxing and memorable. The week we spent with you was the first time in years I saw my husband wind down enough to enjoy his day off. Thank you. I hope you share our thanks, thoughts and endless appreciation with your staff as we will share our experience with our friends and colleagues. We hope to return soon." I meant every word and hope to return in May.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business