“Superb hotel”

Mandarin Oriental, Singapore
Ranked #14 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel, the suite we had was perfect for ourselves and our 9 year old daughter. The view over Marina bay is fantastic, the beds are amazing , and the service excellent. We didn't eat here at night but the breakfast buffet must be one of the best ever! We will be back on our next stopover.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (5,936)

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Wife and I stayed NYE in 2010, and took our 80yr old parents to enjoy NYE 2013. They loved it. 17th floor, harbour view right in front of fireworks podium. Staff were fantastic. Helpful, smiling, accommodating. Rooms were clean and well serviced and attended to very promptly. Melt restaurant food was terrific and staff were beautiful. Didn't take them long to appreciate our requirements; coffees, extra hot, no froth, and these were delivered promptly. I have a tendency to have two cups and my second often appeared without request. What attentiveness. Fantastic. The whole 8 days was wonderful. All this said, there were a couple of things I was a bit disappointed about. Being NYE I understand room rates do carry a premium. However, for long staying guests I feel the premium should be circa 5%. In this case the room rate went from circa $549++ to $770++. Now I was aware of this before I booked so there were no surprises, I simply make the comment as I do feel this one night "hike" a bit over the top. We had NYE dinner at the Dolce vita. The service and the food was magnificent, and the maître'd Jan Imoff, was very accommodating with regards our reservation. What was a shame was the lack of atmosphere. No decorations or celebratory table settings. It could have just been another evenings dinner. A long way removed from our 2010 experience. I put it down to the fact they were running two settings whereas in 2010 they ran just the one. So, would I stay at the Mandarain again? Yes, DEFINATELY. Would I do a NYE? Probably not.
A couple of other things about Singapore ( as this was our fourth visit). It has become very expensive. Not helped by a weakening Aussie dollar.
Eat at the Cut restaurant and DB restaurant, both in the marina bay sands shopping arcades. Fantastic food and service, but not cheap.
Teppanyaki at the shangri la Singapore in the Nadaman. Over the top big time. Four of us on the the basic menu; only two glasses of wine and two bottles of sparkling water. SGDL717 (aus$659). I've had a lot better and a lot cheaper.
Did the ice carving show. Just the wife and I. SGDL74 (aud $65). Clever yes. Worth it, no! I would feel SGDL $20 per person inclusive of coat and gloves, is fair. If you go wear enclosed footwear or suffer frozen toes.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The Mandarin Oriental Singapore continues to achieve the highest standards in service, friendliness and location for those that value these qualities. We have just stayed over for three days on our way back from Thailand and again found the Mandarin Oriental to be outstanding in terms of its service offering and the friendliness of staff.

Keep up the good work and continue to prove to all that good old-fashioned courteous service and a friendly word are what really determine the truly successful hotels from the rest.

Room Tip: The superior Riverview rooms are a definite favourite.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2014

What a silly way to get rid of over a thousand pounds, not worth it at all, I wish I had not bothered, I don't like paying through the nose for things, I like to get a good deal and that is certainly something you don't get here, the steaks were overpriced and too small, with silly sauces on thje side. no thanks won't come back

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Pros:
- Great food/drinks in restaurants/bars inside hotel
- Gym is one of the best hotel gyms. They have free weights (barbell, 20kg plates) and a smith machine + some other equipment
- Pool has city views and has plenty of space

Cons:
- Last week of December, check in time was 2pm. We arrived at 4pm however the room was not ready until 9pm. Smoking floors were given to us after specifically stating we were non smokers. Hotel paid for drinks and meal. I suspect the reason is over booking thus the cleaners had not enough time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed on two different occasions once in December for 2 nights and again in January for one night and on both visits on the Club Floor with access to the Club Lounge were worth the extra cost as the breakfast (buffet and menu), afternoon snacks, evening cocktails and free internet are definitely worth it. The service was/is outstanding and you are made to feel that you are a valued guest. You can also have two garments pressed at no charge though we didn't use that service. On the Club Floor there is also late checkout (4 pm) that is especially nice if you have a late flight to the airport. Compliments to the Club Floor staff.

We had rooms 1928 and 2028 that had views of the harbor, 45 story ferris wheel, the Marina Bay shopping mall, Gardens by the Bay, and the hotel with the boat on top and those are all within walking distance of the hotel. I'd ask for a room on this side of the hotel.

Service throughout the hotel is outstanding and a visit to Cherry Garden restaurant is definitely worth a visit as the food and service were outstanding. I'd recommend dining on the early side (6:30) as the restaurant gets quite busy around 8 pm. Special thanks to Dilys Su, her staff, and the Chefs for a memorable dining experience.

Dinner at the Dolce Vita was a bit of a disappointment as the food came out of the kitchen not very hot and the recommended Pasta trio (Chef's choice) was nothing special and rather bland. My better half made the same comment about his meal.

Within easy walking distance of the hotel there is a hotel with what looks like boat on top, I'd recommend that you take the elevator to the 56th floor for a panoramic view of the city and surrounding sights. There is a fee (I don't remember but think it was $25). This attraction is Skypark. There is a standup food kiosk at the top if you want/need something to eat.

If you like to shop, the Marina Bay Mall is huge and just a short walk. As a matter of fact, you walk through this mall to get to the Gardens by the Bay and Skypark.

A visit to Gardens by the Bay and especially the Cloud Forest (fee) is worth a visit. You can easily spend a full day at this attraction though we only visited the Cloud Forest and enjoyed a walk through the gardens.

The weather was cloudy so we didn't try the 45 story ferris wheel, but on a clear day the views must be magnificent.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

If you are here for NY eve - take a room with a harbour view and enjoy fireworks.
The service is bad. You can wait forever for your room service order. Internet is expensive (like in the most of the hotels in Singapore). We booked a "festive dinner" at the Dolce Vita restaurant 5 floor. While we were eating - in the poos people were screaming and swimming. So we consider it's not really "festive"....
Too many people on breakfast but this is normal for NY eve.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends