“Outstanding”

Ranked #15 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Perth
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My wife and I spent 4 nights in a Harbour View Suite with club access in March 2013 for my Mum's 60th birthday (my parents and sister/brother-in-law were in two other suites). The suite itself was fantastic - very spacious, everything in order, and a fantastic view of the harbour and the Marina Bay Sands from our 21st floor vantage point.

The pool is brilliant and again has a great view - drink orders by the poolside are dealt with promptly and efficiently by astute staff. The cabanas are great if you can snag one! The Italian restaurant next to the pool is pricey but well worth it - it was definitely the highlight meal of our stay in Singapore. Having a pasta or pizza and glass of wine for lunch by the poolside was great.

We had access to the club lounge where we breakfasted each morning. Whilst we didn't go to the Melt cafe, my sister reported that unsurprisingly the club lounge was far quieter and without the chaos of Melt. In the lounge staff were attentive and breakfasts were cooked to order. Throughout the day there was also an excellent range of nibbles/finger food, along with good quality red and white wines as well as champagne. The quality of the wine actually surprised me given that these are often hard to find in Asian cities (from memory one of the regular whites was the excellent Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc). They also did cocktails made to order in the evenings.

The location is excellent - you can easily stroll around the marina; the Marina Bay Sands shopping centre is a 5 minute taxi drive away; and other shopping centres are walkable within 5-10 minutes.

All up the stay was fantastic, and we have already booked a suite for a stay later this year in August. With a 7 month old baby that might be a different experience, but we're confident that the Mandarin can deliver!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank thehound181

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,091)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights, arrived early and they kindly allowed me to check in early. They have impeccable customer service, upon checking in I was shown to my room and shown where everything was. Although I've stayed in many hotels, and thought it could be interpreted as patronising, I think it added a nice touch. I found the room to be a bit dated, but is of a good size. Liked how the room had fresh flowers. Had nice toiletries. I did find on occasions small spec creatures, which I'm not sure what they were, not sure if that is down to the weather they have in Singapore, but wouldn't expect that in a 5*. Back to the impeccable service, went to the bar by the pool in the evening, which has an amazing view of the marina bay sands, and all the tables were taken, one of the waiters suggested he create a table for me, which involved moving a table a chairs from somewhere, which was very kind. Fortunately, a table freed up. Another waiter later realised I kept getting bitten by Mosquitos and offered to get me some mosquito spray, both demonstrating going above and beyond. Dined in melt one evening, food was fantastic, however, as the restaurant was quiet, the turnover of food was slow, therefore, you could tell some food had been sat there for some time.
One thing I wasn't pleased with was the internet access. Most places I stay, the corporate rate includes internet access, however, at MO you need to pay in addition.
Overall, fantastic hotel. Love how the hotel is designed as a fan shape like their logo.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Just returned from a 5 night stay for business. Service was impeccable. Room was good, although it felt a bit dated. Would have liked to have an available outlet near the bed. Chair at desk was not all that comfortable. The bed on the other hand, was amazing. Shower had great pressure. My toiletries were always set up orderly each day. Couldn't quite seem to get the hang of the master power switches. Was upgraded to an ocean view room, great view of MBS, part of the Marina, Singapore Flyer, and out to the water. Had breakfast every morning at Melt, it was delicious and the service again, tremendous. Looked at menus at the other restaurants, they are pricey. Had dinner on the patio outside of Dolce Vita. Got a 30-min massage at the spa from Alicia. One of the best I've ever had. Hotel is in a great location, walk next door into Marina Bay Shopping Center, across the street to the waterfront and Esplanade. 10 min walk to Shoppes at MBS or the Merlion. Easy 5 min taxi to the office at the other end of the Marina. Taxis always available out front. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at this hotel, the suite we had was perfect for ourselves and our 9 year old daughter. The view over Marina bay is fantastic, the beds are amazing , and the service excellent. We didn't eat here at night but the breakfast buffet must be one of the best ever! We will be back on our next stopover.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Wife and I stayed NYE in 2010, and took our 80yr old parents to enjoy NYE 2013. They loved it. 17th floor, harbour view right in front of fireworks podium. Staff were fantastic. Helpful, smiling, accommodating. Rooms were clean and well serviced and attended to very promptly. Melt restaurant food was terrific and staff were beautiful. Didn't take them long to appreciate our requirements; coffees, extra hot, no froth, and these were delivered promptly. I have a tendency to have two cups and my second often appeared without request. What attentiveness. Fantastic. The whole 8 days was wonderful. All this said, there were a couple of things I was a bit disappointed about. Being NYE I understand room rates do carry a premium. However, for long staying guests I feel the premium should be circa 5%. In this case the room rate went from circa $549++ to $770++. Now I was aware of this before I booked so there were no surprises, I simply make the comment as I do feel this one night "hike" a bit over the top. We had NYE dinner at the Dolce vita. The service and the food was magnificent, and the maître'd Jan Imoff, was very accommodating with regards our reservation. What was a shame was the lack of atmosphere. No decorations or celebratory table settings. It could have just been another evenings dinner. A long way removed from our 2010 experience. I put it down to the fact they were running two settings whereas in 2010 they ran just the one. So, would I stay at the Mandarain again? Yes, DEFINATELY. Would I do a NYE? Probably not.
A couple of other things about Singapore ( as this was our fourth visit). It has become very expensive. Not helped by a weakening Aussie dollar.
Eat at the Cut restaurant and DB restaurant, both in the marina bay sands shopping arcades. Fantastic food and service, but not cheap.
Teppanyaki at the shangri la Singapore in the Nadaman. Over the top big time. Four of us on the the basic menu; only two glasses of wine and two bottles of sparkling water. SGDL717 (aus$659). I've had a lot better and a lot cheaper.
Did the ice carving show. Just the wife and I. SGDL74 (aud $65). Clever yes. Worth it, no! I would feel SGDL $20 per person inclusive of coat and gloves, is fair. If you go wear enclosed footwear or suffer frozen toes.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The Mandarin Oriental Singapore continues to achieve the highest standards in service, friendliness and location for those that value these qualities. We have just stayed over for three days on our way back from Thailand and again found the Mandarin Oriental to be outstanding in terms of its service offering and the friendliness of staff.

Keep up the good work and continue to prove to all that good old-fashioned courteous service and a friendly word are what really determine the truly successful hotels from the rest.

Room Tip: The superior Riverview rooms are a definite favourite.