“Starting to show its age.”

Mandarin Oriental, Singapore
Ranked #14 of 315 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Starting to show its age.”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

You can help but compare it with the Ritz Carlton a 100m away both 5 star hotels.
I am big fan of the Mandarin Orient Group though the quality of hotel varies from country to country.

First the Room, while its nice and ticks all the right boxes it certainly did not have that wow factor the moment you walk in. Its down to the age of the hotel and its starting to show in the layouts. The room has been refurbished but from the looks of it the original tiles in the bathroom have remained and they still have those horrible beige telephones. The shower and bath are so small only one person can fit in.

I would guess the room sizes of both the Ritz and MO are about the same but the design of the MO means 25% of it is wasted corridor space. So if you like nice rooms with electric blinds etc go for the Ritz. Though MO has a small balcony but in the tropics no one sits out on an open balcony its ether to hot or too wet, and being next to a main road too noisy.

Bathroom: Again age is against the MO the Ritz has one of the most amazing bath with a view type set ups and a shower 3 people can fit into. So if you like bathrooms go for the Ritz.

Views: With huge windows the Ritz wins even the cheap side of the Ritz you get a nice view.

Pools now here the MO wins while the pool is small compared to the size of the hotel so you have to be quick to snag the best cabanas. The pool side is very nice and as it on the top of the podium you get a nice breeze and view. Ritz pool feels like a municipal pool, below ground level so no breeze.

Service was as expected, though upset with the poolside restaurant for trying to fob off mozzarella as burrata cheese in a dish, when it was pointed out the waiter said they had no stock of burrata.

So if you like to laze by a pool and don’t mind the below average rooms ( for the price) , then go for the MO. If you like lovely rooms with a great bathroom then go for the Ritz.

Room Tip: If you go for the cheap rooms ie facing away from the water get a high floor as the smell from all t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,105)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Let me start by saying Mandarin hotels are on the nicer end, I have stayed at about 50 % of their properties, so I know them well. This hotel is clean and comfortable but beyond that it lacks charm and personality. It's bland, dated and dark.

The out-door pool is wonderful and provides great views of the skyline.

Morton's restaurant is excellent. Great lead Bartender and very friendly staff at the bar location in middle of lobby space. You can eat in the bar which provides a unique experience under the umbrella.

The Mandarin Spa (facility) is a loser for this caliber of hotel. No facilities, just a shower and steam room for one person at a time. A major let down however we thought we'd just get a massage and forgo the amenities but spa was sold out.. Spa products are good however and I bought plenty. Staff was helpful and friendly at the spa shop.

We ended up booking the spa at Fairmont Hotel, which was very nice.

Check out service at 6am - AWFUL, took far too long to print folio and go through a process that felt as though I had been there for 60 days, not 2 nights.

Finally, I called the front desk on the eve prior to my departure to schedule a hotel limo to airport. Upon arrival to check out and find the car we were told we did not book a car. After explaining that we did call we were made to feel we were wrong. It was not until I saw the 150.00 charge on my bill that I could prove I called. They charged me for the car but never set it up. This was another let down and by this time we had already spent too much time at the desk and I just wanted to leave. They put us in a taxi and sent us away. No thank you for staying just an I am sorry we will investigate and email you. I thought, why email me, it's over and my impression is already set.

I am not sure I'd stay at this Mandarin when I come back this fall, I will see what other fine hotels and resorts that centurion/plat travel offer. Mandarin is usually my first choice but this one let me down.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RAY O
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed in MO for a week early Jan this year. Chose this place by chance, but probably well chosen!

Here are a few cents from my end:

1) Great location; overlooks the bay and the SGP eye and has great views from the room. You can walk into the Marina shopping mall and also to a tube station. Boat Quay is just 10 mins walk. Its an uncongested straight line drive from the airport as well.

2) Excellent rooms, well done, good baths and stunning views. Relaxing for a business traveller to work in. Wi-fi works, secure accesses to floors, and the swimming pool was good as well.

3) Good food, huge breakfast spread (but was same day after day) and fresh fruits...in room dining also was nice.

4) Excellent and courteous staff...check-in, check-outs, hailing a cab, helping get the door unlocked....all scenarios played out, all had the same result...great staff.

So, overall excellent place to recommend, especially business travelers...Will I come back? Anyday...

Room Tip: Choose the Bay facing rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Fraser Coast, Australia
Reviewed 17 March 2014

From the moment we checked in until we checked out, we were completely pampered by the friendliest staff we have come across. Always looking to be helpful we could not have asked for more. The room on the 18th floor overlooked Marina Bay and the business district. Everything in our room was superb. Could not fault a single thing in our three night stay. Well done Mandarin Oriental.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights.

Pros:
(1) The location is excellent. It is walking distance to Singapore Flyer, Mariana Bays, Esplandade, Subtec city, etc.
(2) As it is next to the Marina Square, there is a wide variety of dining options.
(3) On our arrival, my 3-year old received a kids pack that contains bath robe, slippers and a storybook. Very thoughtful.
(4) There is complimentary shuttle bus service to Sentosa (depart at Marina Mandarin).

Cons:
(1) We have breakfast at 'Melt' restaurant. The bakery was good. Croissant is a must try. Unfortunately, dim sum and fish ball noodle are poor.
(2) The housekeeping service is very slow in response.
(3) On our check-out morning, we found there was water dripping from the ceiling of the bathroom. There was no problem for the previous few days. The drawer that contains the hair dryer turned out filled up with the water. It was very dangerous. The hotel need to look into this issue.

Though there was minor problems, we have a good time staying at Mandarin Oriental Singapore.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wwf1119
Juan-Les-Pins, France
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Great food. Special room for kids. Good service. You can sit inside or outside. We were seated inside, like 95%, but it got to cold in the a/c after while. Moved outside, not problem with the staff, all very professional and helpful. Oh yes, make sure you try the wagu burgers..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cotedazur
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We booked this place for our friend's hens night and were very delighted by the great service of the staff and awesome views of our room. We stayed at level 21 and our room was facing the flyer and marina Bay Area. Staff service was great, they attended to us promptly within 15 mins whenever we called for room service. Not to forget the pool area, the staff were attentive and the sheltered beds were so comfortable to chill in. The breakfast at melt cafe was yummy with many choices to spoil you with. All in all, great hotel with wonderful service. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014