“A superb view, but carpets all over” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Singapore

Mandarin Oriental, Singapore
Ranked #16 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
“A superb view, but carpets all over”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

This is a good hotel with super friendly staff. The Harbour view is amazing and the floor to ceiling windows are fantastic. However, there are carpets everywhere and the rooms start to look old. There is no Nespressso machine. The fitness and the swimming pool is great, so is breakfast. The Lobby is not charmimg.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Go100go

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is probably the best hotel of its class in the Marina Square area. The rooms are super and the service is great. The gym is excellent and the breakfast is superb.
The bed and pillows were excellent and gave me great night sleep throughout my stay.
The hotel is also linked to the adjacent shopping mall which is very large. There is a good food court with a huge variety of local food at reasonable prices.
Take time to explore the underground links all the way to the nearest subway station. It is packed with interesting shops and eatery, and a great way to stay out of the hot and humid Singapore weather.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Great service as you would expect from a Mandarin Oriental hotel! Within the walking distance from MBS. The room and public areas are aging. But the service is superb. Staff recognizes and knows me by my name. Makes me feel at home. Oh, and gorgeous view from the pool. The gym is pretty nice. And the breakfast is AMAZING! Had some friends staying at the Ritz Carlton next door. Their pool is not as nice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Jack W
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Overall this hotel is on par with any Mandarin around the world. Staff was great, especially on the Club level. Room was very clean and comfortable and had a nice view of the Singapore skyline. Gym was well appointed and the pool was a welcome reprieve from the hot August weather. Furthermore, having arrived from Tokyo at 1am the staff was hyper-effiecent at getting me checked in while in my room so I could get some much needed sleep. Overall, one can't do better in Singapore.

Room Tip: Facing the Marina and Skyline is best
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The rooms are lovely and spacious mine had a superb view of the marina. Check in and service was swift, prompt and staff were very friendly and polite. The Mandarin has a great pool with plenty of staff to assist you. I would recommend this hotel for both business and holidays

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My stay at the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore far exceeded my expectations. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was very extensive and high quality. It was one of the best I have had. When I had to leave to take the kids out and my mom was still eating, the staff stayed and talked to my mom to keep her company. The hotel is connected to a great mall for any shopping requirements and it is near the Singapore Flyer, Duck tours, and many other attractions. My husband was attending a conference at the Suntec convention center and it was a short walk through an air conditioned mall for him to get there. The pool was amazing with full service and a great view; food and drinks were served promptly poolside. I am dreaming about when I can come back and stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Having gotten married the week prior, my Wife and I were booked into stay at the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore from the 30th June – 5th July 2014 and I had arranged for us to stay in a City Suite as part of their suite temptations deal – 4th night free, $60 SGD Spa Credit, Free WiFi & Breakfast etc. Total price - $3,048 for 5 nights (roughly translated at the time to £1424 Great British Pounds, or £284 per night…)

From the moment we booked, we were looking forward to arriving at the hotel – having travelled to Singapore before and visited ‘The Bar at Mortons’ in the hotel atrium (amazing complimentary steak sandwiches by the way) we knew this place had real class.

Prior to arriving

Both my wife & I are Coeliac and therefore need to follow a strict Gluten Free diet. I contacted the hotel by email prior to the stay to ask what Gluten Free options were available at the hotel. They replied very quickly and advised that they had noted our dietary requirements on the system and arranged for the manager of one of the restaurants (Dolce Vita) to send some gluten free choices from the menu to me by email. I also asked if the hotel could do anything special for my wife – and they offered a complimentary bottle of red wine on arrival. A week prior to arriving, we changed our flights and would be arriving into Singapore at 7am rather than 4pm as had been the case. The hotel said they would do whatever they could to get us checked in early, or provide a hospitality room if not possible.

On Arrival

We arrived at the hotel at 8am after a 14 hour flight from Heathrow. Exhausted, we arrived in a taxi and a member of staff opened the taxi door and greeted us by name – ‘Good Morning Mr & Mrs Postill!’. How he knew our names to this day I have no idea – but this gave us a measure for the service we were to receive for the whole of our stay at the MO. Our bags were whisked away and we presented at the check in desk where when we handed our details to the smartly dressed lady at the counter. Congratulations she said, having seen on the system that we were on honeymoon. The second thing she said was that the hotel had upgraded us from a city suite to a harbour suite with a view across Marina Bay. A lovely surprise. A further member of staff took us to the suite (room 901) and he went through the necessary paperwork with us in the comfort and privacy of the room, and showed us where everything was.

The Room

What a beautiful view, and what a lovely room. Large – with a living room, guest bathroom, bedroom with en-suite containing a walk in shower and a separate bath, and a balcony. And oh my gosh the bed – the bed in this room is the most comfortable bed we had ever slept in. Hands down. So much so that after the stay I contacted the hotel to ask what mattress and topper they use as we need to buy one! Unfortunately the toppers are custom made and not available for purchase – gutted! The suite was spotlessly clean. On arrival, and despite having arrived at 8am some 7 hours before normal check in time, there was a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice in the room with a single orchid flower next to it – rather than a bottle of red. For those of you who know Singapore, alcohol is expensive and the bottle of champagne they left wouldn’t have been cheap! There was also a pot of tea brewing on the table next to the window, in a quaint oriental teapot. These guys know what English people need after a long flight!

The Service

Impeccable. Faultless. Every member of staff that we had the pleasure of meeting was amazing. Everyone seemed to know us by name despite us never having met them before. When we went down to breakfast at ‘Melt’ in the morning, we were greeted by name – “Good morning Mr & Mrs Postill! Would you like the same table as yesterday? I’ll let the chef know you have arrived and we will get some gluten free options for you, and Mrs Postill I’ll be sure to get you some Soya milk for your tea as well.” – For someone who has met us before, I would be impressed. But every member of staff seemed to know us and all of our dietary requirements without having to check. It was truly incredible. Ryan Monilla our waiter during breakfast service on more than one occasion took a photo of us on our last day, printed it and presented it to us in a little card frame before we left. Nice touch!
After breakfast we would generally leave the hotel to explore the city. On our way out, the concierge would stop us and ask if we needed a complimentary bottle of water to take with us on our travel. This hotel has it covered. Of course, while we were out the housekeeping department would ensure our suite was kept immaculate and tidied up. They would do the same after we had returned and sneak in whilst we were out having dinner. A welcome touch.

Dining

Bay@5 – This is the bar on the 5th floor by the pool. I’ll leave a separate review in full, but I need to say that this is one of the most excellent bars we have been to. With a beautiful view of the city including the MBS complex and the CBD on one side, and a lovely pool on the other this place is as relaxing as you will find in the middle of the city. It was great. Comfy chairs – but above all, a superb level of service. We were lucky enough to meet Paneer the waiter on our stay. He was kind, professional and a genuinely nice person and wanted only to look after us as best as he could. Knowing it was our honeymoon, he made an amazing cocktail for each of us with his own little touch – adding some pink rose syrup to a lychee & champagne based drink (I can’t remember what it was called.) On leaving he put a single red rose into my hands and told me to give a beautiful flower to my beautiful lady. Great guy, and we are grateful for his hospitality.

We don’t normally make a habit of eating at hotel restaurants but we made an exception with Dolce Vita. Trip Advisor suggests that it’s the number 10 restaurant in Singapore. Located on the 5th floor poolside, it would have been rude not to visit and see what all the fuss was about. Again, we will leave a full review but we visited Dolce Vita on our last night at the Mandarin Oriental and had the pleasure of being waited on by Vanessa (who just so happens to be engaged to Paneer!) We had a very special meal – the chef (Omar Gabrielle Bernadi) came and discussed our dietary needs with us to ensure everything was gluten free, and the food was incredible – we ordered off menu for the first time in our lives from a suggestion the chef made! Vanessa was sweet – she sang to us (she has a beautiful voice) and surprised us with a complimentary wooden board of freshly chopped fruit for dessert – with Mr & Mrs Postill written in vanilla sauce. We asked if we could leave a tip for her and Paneer as they had both gone above and beyond but as expected in Singapore, tipping is not the done thing and Vanessa politely declined and said she just wanted to make our honeymoon special and do her best to ensure we enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

Amenities

We only went for a swim once during our stay but we can say that it was a pleasant experience. The pool is great – and most importantly, it was quiet. Unlike the infinity pool on the roof of Marina Bay Sands which from our experience seems to be permanently heaving, this was nice. Perfect.
Mrs Postill used the $60 SGD spa credit and reports that the spa is the nicest she has ever been to. Nothing is rushed, and whilst the treatment she went for was only 30 minutes, they took their time, were very good at what they did and sat her down afterwards with herbal tea and nibbles. She was very impressed.

Conclusion

After our stay at the Mandarin Oriental, we went on to stay 3 nights at the Pan Pacific next door. I wish we hadn’t and that we had stayed on at the MO. The Pan Pacific was nice enough in most respects, but the Mandarin Oriental (despite being at a similar price point) is in a completely different league. How the Pan Pacific has better ratings than Mandarin Oriental on Trip Advisor I will never know - FWIW we also stayed a night in MBS last time we visited Singapore – Mandarin Oriental also beats MBS hands down.
We couldn’t fault this hotel – it felt like everyone went out of their way to make us feel special. Mandarin Oriental – Thank-you for an amazing stay and keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Harbour Suite - great view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple