“Fabulous service and great views”

Ranked #15 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 3 August 2014

There are so many positives about this hotel. Great location with amazing views of the bay. My husband and I loved Morton's, which served the most amazing lemon drop martinis. The level of service was superb (of particular note were the staff in the gym, both the concierge that we spoke to and the staff on the door). That said, we felt that there was just something missing, with the interior of the hotel feeling a little soulless.

The breakfast buffet was great, but it always felt a little chaotic with so many people in the restaurant.

This is a however, a great hotel and Singapore is such a fun place. A visit to Gardens by the Bay is a must as is dinner in China Town. We also enjoyed our trip to Little India. Reports on the Long Bar at Raffles are mixed, but we decided to give it a go and throughly enjoyed it. The service was exceptional as were the cocktails.

We took a trip up to Orchard Road for dinner one evening and were rather disappointed by the choice of restaurants. We ended up in a tapas bar called 'Esmirada', where we ended up having some of the best food of our three week trip. The tapas was truly superb, followed by a slightly bizarre (but such good fun) musical interlude, with plates being smashed to Zorba the Greek. We would massively recommend this restaurant

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mandyb64

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I've stayed (and lived) in Singapore many times, and I have to admit this wasn't our first choice hotel for our Easter weekend getaway. However, having now stayed here, I am a "fan" and would readily recommend for similar type trips.

Overall
As Mandarin Orientals go, it does come across as a slightly dated hotel, however, the details in delivering a great hospitality experience do not go neglected, not least of which is the attentive service.

Location
With all of the more recent developments around Marina Bay (MBS, Gardens by the Bay, 1 Fullerton), I feel like the Marina area is a more a compelling place to stay for leisure trip than ever before which is why we were willing to consider it over the Orchard Road options. We have previously stayed at Marina Bay Sands, and the value for money is just not very good.

Rooms
Plush beds sport deluxe linens that even our 14 month old noticed - she just loved falling face first into the sheets.

F&B
One of the best breakfast buffet spreads across any Asian 5-star hotel - that's saying a lot. Huge spread and huge variety. Our toddler loved the yogurt station with multiple flavored yogurts to choose from, as well as an assortment of fresh fruit toppings, all nicely diced. The Indian food, of course, is always a treat in Singapore. However, it is the basic waffle where the culinary team really shone -- excellent batter, excellent texture, perfect maple syrup and perfect freshly whipped cream. I'm not sure I've ever eaten a simple waffle this good.

Pool
We were also pleasantly surprised the pool area had enough variety (kids pool, fountains, etc.) for an urban hotel to keep toddler happy and entertained for an afternoon. All-in-all a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Will S
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We (group of three) stayed at a suite for three during World Cup period. However we can't find extra bed and extra set of amenities in the room until we called the house keeping, on the first day and even on our third night! And the concierge kept giving us wrong direction. I believe the concierge team is quite green and seems not familiar with the neighbourhood. Quite disappointed with the stay here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank antibombardment
MOSingapore, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Mandarin Oriental Guest

Thank you for your recent visit and sharing your comments with us.

We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience with our housekeeping and concierge services. Please be assured that these issues have been addressed with the team, as we strive to continually improve and provide better service to all guests.

We certainly hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Yours sincerely

Jess Lam
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My parents and I took a city view suite which was spacious (900 sq ft) but the furniture and facilities were liked what you would find in hotel rooms in the 1980's. My mother who has a problem with walking found the twin bed very difficult to get in and out of. To be fair, we got this suite on a special offer (4 nights for the price of 3) so I suppose you get what you pay for. I would have willingly pay the full price for one of the newly refurbished suite if I have known.

I find the interior of the hotel a bit oppressive and dark. It is also not as convenient as other hotels in the vicinity to get to the shopping mall next door (as my mum is wheelchair bound, I was hoping that I could push her to the mall via a connecting walkway but was told that it was closed permanently).

However, the breakfast buffet was excellent with an overwhelming variety of food to choose from. The Chinese restaurant was very good and Morton's was a good restaurant if you want steak and you want a break from Asian cuisine.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jasmond
MOSingapore, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Mandarin Oriental Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share valuable feedback on your recent stay with us.

While we are thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experiences at the hotel, we regret to learn that the suite was not up to your expectations. We would like to assure that we will be addressing the reflected observations in our future planned changes.

We will strive to create many more moments of delight as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely

Jess Lam
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I am huge mandarin oriental fan and love the hotel in NYC! But this in Singapore is really a class of it own. Outstanding service from the first second. Well trained and polite stuff and awesome food experience. The location is perfectly central and the rooms are large compared to other Singapore hotels. Sure it's not cheap but the price service value is very high. I would recommend it to any one who want style, classic high class hospitality and Asian charm. Thanks for the wonderful days!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank citywalker2014
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is what you expect of this brand. It compares favourably with HK and certainly better than Geneva. Rooms well priced with a magnificent view. The "club" on the 19th floor very convenient and useful for business. Swimming pool excellent and the Italian restaurant next to (the pool) also very enjoyable. Certainly reflects the era of its build (80s?) but I did not find this particularly oppressive. My only thought is that the bars just don't seem to work for social or business meetings. One is just "bizarre" architecturally (the floating mushroom bar - go there and see) and another (more lounge like) is just very low key. Both relatively empty and I stayed there several days. I think a little more thought could go into these. But having said that service etc. super and they are great team working hard.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank themisb
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel is in a prime Marina Bay location close to other 5 star hotels.

Firstly, as a member of BA executive club I expected flowers and fruit placed complementary in my room, I expected express checkout - None of these were delivered on arrival and there was no recognition of my booking via exec club. My room level was correctly assigned however. On asking via a phone call, the fruit was brought instantly - service is always good at Mandarin but not pre-emptive in this case.

This hotel is also tired looking, some of the decor is decidedly 1970s and it is a dark place. Furnishings are up to usual Mandarin standards, as are the amenities provided in the rooms. My bay view room did have a spectacular panorama.

The pool and spa area is nice, and the pool cabanas are particularly comfortable, with an ability to plug in a device and play personal music but mine was visibly broken - more evidence that this hotel needs a refurb.

I always enjoy the buffets at Mandarins and this one was exceptionally good with worldwide breakfast selection and as much of it as you can pack away.

In conclusion: Yes, it has the hallmarks of a Mandarin Oriental but not nearly as good as other newer hotels. The KL branch remains the benchmark for me.

Room Tip: Marina Bay view is nice to wake up to
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple