“First-rate hotel and service”

Mandarin Oriental, Singapore
Ranked #14 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this property and was treated to a modernly decorated and newer room with a view of the marina and its sights. The service from check-in to in-room dining and housekeeping was first-rate.

This is a hotel that deserves top-billing and it's star-status. That said, I would draw some comparisons to better clarify my experience and views for fellow travelers. Having just recently also stayed at the Shangri-La, I would say that this property ranks lower.

While it's not quite fair to compare apples-to-oranges in terms of properties having different goals perhaps and dynamics (location, amenities, etc.). I do need to point out that while the in-room dining was well done at the Mandarin, at the Shangri-La, it was simply outstanding. I didn't try the Mandarin restaurants, but the Shangri-La had more choices and what I did try was also excellent.

As well, I prefer the orchard grove location of the Shangri-La better than the Mandarin's. This is personal preference and depends on what you are after, but the still in-the-city but yet nestled nicely in a beautiful quieter neighborhood was much appreciated. It's also more of a "resort" in terms of overall design & amenities vs. the Mandarin being more of a hotel.

Still, the Mandarin is a property that deserves it's stars & status as a top-shelf hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank TripShawn

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I spent a 5 day trip in Aug, 2014; previously we stayed at Swisshotel as couldn't get the rooms at the Mandarin Oriental since our travel is last minute.

However, this time around we were lucky. Price is similar but the service is significantly superior. The ambiance, decor, rooms, furniture, overall it is a much better property.

The front desk made some error while checking me in but apologized profusely and rectified it immediately - it was more of communication gap I suppose.

Hearty breakfast every day. Option to sit out is available. Very courteous and attentive staff will ensure that you are fed well

Impeccable room service. They look at things from guest perspective so if a magazine is by the bedside it will not go to the magazine rack as they realize that I must have been reading. Instead one will find a lovely book mark in the magz and the various books.

Good restaurants and helpful concierge that will guide you to some good places depending on your requirement.

In short, they have cracked the code for service as their staff without being obtrusive does the job to perfection.

Full marks and will highly recommend

Room Tip: Try for the ones facing the Bay Area; they will give you a good view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mir Amer H
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We booked the Mandarin Oriental for the last part of our month long tour of Australia. We arrived at 6:30am from the airport having travelled from Cairns to Brisbane then onto Singapore. The staff could not do any more to make us feel welcome and provided us with a comfortable area to rest and wait for our room to be ready. Ali who attended to us whilst we were resting on a cabana by the pool was very courteous and helpful.
We got to our room around 3pm and were very pleased with everything from the comfy bed to the wonderful view of the harbour. Within ten minutes we had a knock at the door and a member of staff was there to present us with a bottle of wine, a cake and chocolates to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.
Everything about this hotel speaks luxury. The staff are very attentive and the attention to detail was second to none. Breakfast was amazing, the vast array of cuisines catered for every taste. The Morton Bar serving cocktails and complimentary steak sandwiches had a brilliant vibe.
Having stayed at some of the most luxurious hotels in Perth, Melbourne & Sydney, including Raffles Hotel on the way out, The Mandarin Oriental, Singapore was by far the very best place we have stayed. We will definitely stay here again the next time we come to Singapore.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mazzaranga
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed here for the second time over Easter this year and confirmed what I already knew, this is an excellent hotel. I have stayed in a number of other hotels in the Marina area including Ritz Carlton and MBS and in my opinion, MO is the best of the lot.

Its rooms are very well appointed and have wonderful views. Somehow, its rooms just feel that little more special than others. Its grounds and facilities are also top notch. The swimming pool area is charming and the gym is very good. The service by all staff is as expected, outstanding. My wife tried the Spa and came back with rave reviews. They also surprised us with a special Easter chocolate platter with Easter eggs and all. It was very beautiful and tasty. Classy touch.

Hotels in Singapore are relatively expensive, but if any hotel here offers value for money, MO is probably it. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sala23
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I was there in August 2014 and I enjoyed every minute of my stay.

The service was excellent in every respect. I had a couple of queries and the staff got things resolved very quickly. The ambiente is great in the entire hotel and the rooms are very nicely made up. All requirements of a high quality stay have been full filled.

The standard is very high and you can tell that they pay attention to the details.

If you go there, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed here for a week when visiting Singapore on holiday. I was accommodated in a corner suite with amazing views over Singapore and the Marina Bay. The standard of the hotel was excellent and the service efficient and friendly.

Its not cheap but quality never is.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Unimog2014
Reviewed 23 August 2014

My friend waited me a the lobby and the security guard shouted at her to wait outside the because she cant remember my room number. The room is tidy but I find insect under my blanket. They dont have the right to kick my friend put of the hotel. Totally disappointed. This is not what i expected from 5stars hotel i'd better stay at Ritzcarlton next time

• Stayed: August 2014
7  Thank Lencycy
MOSingapore, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Mandarin Oriental Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion and if you could provide us with more specific details regarding the experience at email: mosin-gm@mohg.com, it would be very useful for us to address the issues. In the meantime, we appreciate your feedback and will make every effort to improve our service level.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel for a much more enjoyable stay the next time.

Yours sincerely