“History in Singapore”

Goodwood Park Hotel
Ranked #38 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The exterior of the hotel was not let down by its interior as is often the case. The staff were very helpful especially the porter who got me no end of taxis! The breakfast was plentiful and included in my room rate so cannot comment on the price. The amount of wedding business this hotel manages to cope with is amazing - great fun to watch.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank frequentflyersuffolk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed 26 November 2011

Could be a really nice charming boutique historic hotel if it weren't a boring cheesy shopoholic area and didn't try to gouge on food and Internet. No free 15 mins of Internet for me, they wanted $.85/minute to $28/day max. Pool and weight room were nice enough but totally devoid of life. A hot tub/spa would be nice at this price to relax in and maybe chat with other travellers. Very dull for solo travellers - you will want to grab a taxi or subway ride if you want to see anything other than same old same old retail stores. Yes S'pore is expensive, but I suspect I could have done a lot better for the same or less money in a much more interesting area that isn't about nickel and diming. Oh yeah, the space age (Buck Rogers) push button lighting system turned itself on in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms by the side pool are very nice. The main pool doesn't have the same character...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed at the Goodwood Hotel for 6 nights just recently and we certainly enjoyed our stay. Not sure I would stay here again as I found the food prices to be outrageous. We did not pay for the breakfast in the price of our room,knowing that Orchard Road was only a few steps away with many, many choices for the palate. I was, however, a bit disappointed after checking in and finding that a cup of coffee was $10. The Continental Breakfast was $26. I feel the prices were a bit high, even though it is Singapore!

The room itself was okay, not great. I realize the hotel was built in 1900 so bearing that in mind it is in good shape. From the outside it is very impressive. I had booked our hotel online and I'm not sure if that was why we had the room we did but we had to pass through the business centre area to get to our room. After coming from the pool or workout room it was a bit uncomfortable walking through this area when there were lots of people milling about in the foyer area. There were only 2 plugs in the room and the one in the bathroom would accommodate a razor only. It stopped working at one point but then seemed to come back within a few hours. The plug for the hair dryer was very loose and as a result I had to have my husband hold the plug in the wall while I used it. There was no other way to do it. There were other power issues as well....sometimes the lights would all come on and then off and repeat. Only during the daytime however so not too big of a deal.

I found the carpeting in certain areas of the room to be very discolored (particularly dark looking in the corners where it met the wall) and we had an open pot light in the ceiling missing a cover so it glowed at night. The other issue I had was trying to use the internet through the hotel. No one seemed to know if I should be allowed to use it and how much to charge me. In the end they decided to charge me $15 for 30 minutes use and I now see that the hotel advertises Wifi for $30 for 24 hours. Seems a bit disparate to me!

On the plus side the staff were outstanding and worked to a very high standard indeed. Everyone was always professional and smiling. Something unique was when you asked for a wake up call you would receive the automated call at the appointed time and then 5 minutes later receive a personal follow up call where they wished you to have a great day. A living snooze button...that was wonderful. The pool was very nice, actually 2 pools to be exact. Hardly anyone used them so it certainly was nice and quiet.

We did enjoy our stay and the fact that the hotel is only minutes from Orchard Street and the MRT station made the location of this hotel ideal.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room away from the Business Centre area!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I came back for more. Excellent service, spacious rooms, afternoon tea to die for.
The weddings were fun to watch while resting from shopping and indulging in high tea which I thoroughly recommend.
15 mins free Internet which allowed me to check emails.

Prefer Goodwood Park to Raffles as it has retained it's original splendor.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Vkayc
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Excellent hotel. Probably one of the best in Singapore.

We were shown to the room by a very friendly receptionist, who also told us some historical facts about the hotel on our way to the room.

Everything is perfect, the location, room sizes (large, from 33 sqm and up), amenities, facilities, restaurants and poolside. We ate at Min Jiang, food was excellent, service was good. A bit pricy, especially beverage and alcohol, but it must be expected at this kind of hotel.

I can see that some people complaining on private weddings being held there, I for one did not find it disturbing at all, in fact it was rather nice to watch them. We didn't stay at the hotel area much anyway, so we didn't mind it at all.

All in all a great hotel. Service from staff was very good. Will stay here again, it's an oasis in the middle of the city, and it's nice to have a hotel with a garden and a pool, with charm and history, not just another 40-floor unpersonal hotel.

As a travel agent I will warmly recommend this hotel for any Singapore-visit.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies, and some don't. Rooms on request.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Solfaktor
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We had booked a 3 night stay at this delightful Hotel, which was extended to 7 nights as we were caught in the Qantas grounding of flights last week.
If we had to get stranded somewhere, this was the place to be!
Our room was spacious, well appointed, spotless. The Staff, particularly when we were put into a stressful situation in not knowing when we would be able to fly home, were genuinely caring, courteous and friendly.
Breakfasts were terrific and we ate in the Thai Village Restaurant which is part of the Hotel, and thoroughly enjoyed our meal.
There is also a guest laundry which is available for use.
We were very, very impressed and enjoyed our stay immensely. Would we stay here again?
Absolutely!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2011

This is not a 5star hotel as presented.
Room by the pool was very noisy.
it was a big disappointment which forced me to change hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business