“Charming hotel - oasis in the middle of Orchard District”

Goodwood Park Hotel
Ranked #32 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
“Charming hotel - oasis in the middle of Orchard District”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

I visit Singapore very frequently and have tried many different hotels over the years. The Goodwood Park remains my favourite even though I stay at Hilton most everywhere else where I get spoiled as a Diamond member. First of all the colonial charm - I almost always choose the heritage wing. When I am here with my family I choose a room with back door access to the Mayfair pool. This time I was very pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a suite next to the Balinese pool. The room was very well appointed and comfortable. I was also pleasantly surprised that Internet access is now complimentary - I was told I could pay for a higher grade of Internet but it shouldn't be necessary. This indeed proved to be true - the complimentary version for my 3 devices was more than adequate.

Breakfast is always a highlight for me at the Goodwood. Though the selection is not enormous by the standards of some other hotels, their muesli is sensational and the fresh fruit fantastic. A nice range of artisan breads. Dim sum is a nice extra. The hot food is well presented, good variety, tasty and always looks and tastes freshly cooked. The wait staff are genuinely warm and welcoming.

I tried the Italian restaurant and it's the best I have been to in Singapore. I also had high tea which about the best I have had anywhere. The lady in charge of the coffee lounge had a knack of remembering me by name and my favourite type of coffee.

I asked for and received a late checkout at 2pm because of my late 10pm flight back to Australia. I pushed my luck and asked if I could still use the gym and pool and have a shower afterwards. The front desk readily obliged - as a result I felt totally rejuvenated and grateful to continue enjoying my tropical paradise for a few more hours - away from the bustle of Orchard. When I finished with the gym and swim I was amazed that a vacant guest room was offered to me for my shower and told no need to hurry. This was way beyond what I expected.

Actually the fact that the Goodwood is not as modern as many other hotels makes me prefer it all the more. The staff, almost without exception, is what makes the Goodwood so special to me - they genuinely care and seem to know no barrier to satisfy their guests. Value for money is great compared to other hotels. I look forward to next visit, preferably with family.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank HeatherAngelo
Linda W, General Manager at Goodwood Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Hi HeatherAngelo,

Thank you very much for making us your favourite choice of accommodation in Singapore.

I am so delighted to know that our service standards consistently meet your expectations and makes it special for you. I will certainly share your compliments with the team and they will be very encouraged to continue working towards service excellence.

We are thrilled to know that there will be an opportunity of welcoming you back which we certainly look forward to. Should you need assistance for your future reservation, please do not hesitate to contact our friendly reservation team at rmresv@goodwoodparkhotel.com.

General Manager of Goodwood Park Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

We had a junior suite during this visit to my wife's hometown and this time around we chose to try something other than the InterCon which has always been a favourite of ours.

Everything was clean and tidy and the housekeeping sound but the hotel had something missing that took away any feelings of the personal touch....possibly because of its sheer size and maybe the large numbers of female expats that seems to dominate the coffee-shop just adjacent to the reception area. Breakfast was good and varied.

Overall nothing over exciting about this place so we'll return to the InterCon next visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David K
Dear David K,

Thank you for taking time to share with us this valuable feedback.

I am pleased that your stay was a pleasant one. At Goodwood Park Hotel, we are committed to creating memorable experiences for our guest and your feedback will certainly help us improve in areas which you have found us lacking.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back again.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I have stayed here on multiple occasions. It is an old hotel that is fully updated. It has the charm and stature of a classic hotel. The staff provides excellent service. The gardens are well maintained.

The lobby bar is an excellent place to a business meeting with coffee or tea or to relax in the evening with a glass of wine or a cocktail. The breakfast served in the restaurant is excellent.

DO NOT miss their classic afternoon tea. There are few places outside of the UK that have as good afternoon tea service. If you cannot stay here, then definitely go to the lobby bar for a drink or to the afternoon tea.

The custom clothing tailoring shops also do reliable and excellent work.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pool & garden
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Vol1970
Linda W, General Manager at Goodwood Park Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Hi Vol1970,

Thank you for choosing the Goodwood Park Hotel as your preferred choice of accommodation during your visits to Singapore.

It is very encouraging and motivating for the team and I to learn that your stays with us have always been pleasant and memorable. We will continue to focus on delivering service excellence to our guests.

Once again, thank you for your compliments and we look forward to welcome you back again soon. Should you need assistance for your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact our reservation team at +6567301811 or email to rmresv@goodwoodparkhotel.com.

Katy, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

My family of two small boys stayed 5 days at Goodwood Park Hotel (GPH) in Singapore. The criteria I look whenever I'm traveling with my family is Service, Convenience, Comfort and Location.

Service: Service is top notch, starting with checkin staff and Duty Manager, Andrew Yu. When he saw we had small children, he gave us complimentary upgrade, a room with sofa bed and pool view. Even though check in is 2pm, we were able to get our around 10:30. Staff recognizes their guests by name and opens doors. I can tell the staff at GPH is trying to give the same level of service as Four Seasons. Staff gave umbrella just in case it rained.

Convenience: The room is large for Singapore standards, Deluxe Room over 40square meters. Provides all the amenities you would expect from 4-5 star hotels. The pluses are complimentary daily bottles of water and apples. WiFi is complimentary (1MB). There are two pools, one smaller one suited for the kids. The workout facility and location of restaurants and pool are good. The biggest convenience is location to restaurants and shops of Orchard Road (more on Location section). The only complaint is limited channels on TV and they are all standard definition, lacking the kids channels like Disney or Nick. The local call are not free though.

Comfort: The room had comfortable King size bed and bath room with strong water pressure (something you can’t take for granted).

Location: The hotel is located 5mins from Orchard MRT(Singapore’s MRT is one of the easiest and cleanest subway’s in the world) and a block away from Orchard Road. There are thousands of shops and hundreds of restaurants on Orchard Road.
The motif of hotel styled after German architecture so has a colonial feel, although the rooms have been recently upgraded.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with sofa bed if you have kids. Singapore has unique electrical plug so buy adapter...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank SpoiledVacationers
Linda W, General Manager at Goodwood Park Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Hi SpoiledVacationers,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your positive feedback.

I will certainly share your compliments with Andrew and he will be delighted and encouraged to know his attentive and proactive service had left an impression. With regards to the TV channels in the room and the local call, please be assured that we will review them and implement necessary changes to improve.

Thank you for staying with us and sharing the lovely photos. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back again soon!

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Although the hotel itself seems a bit run down, the location is outstanding if you wish to be near the Orchard Road shops. The place is also quite peaceful considering its location. We stayed in the standard room which is very spacious, however the bathroom was bit on the small side. The bed was a bit hard and although we got a non-smoking room (which we requested), it appeared that we were on a smoking floor and could smell the smoke quite strongly in the hall. We didn't have the breakfast there as there's quite a few places nearby you can eat at (Wild Honey cafe is good, although a bit on the expensive side). We didn't try the High Tea at the hotel, but it looked really good and maybe worth a try.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear YohjiJake,

Thank you for taking time to share with us this valuable feedback.

I am glad that enjoyed the hotel’s convenient location to Orchard Road. Your comments are well taken note of and will be further discussed with the respective department heads and we do appreciate your suggestions. We are progressively upgrading our rooms and facilities to ensure that they are kept updated and refreshed. The English High-Tea at L’Espresso is very renowned in Singapore and we hope that you will have the opportunity to savour the tasty treats on your next stay.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we do hope that we can have another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Recently stayed at the Goodwood Park for just over 30 days. On the whole the experience was very pleasant. All the staff were very helpful, polite and keen to please. The room ( I stayed in room 101) was very comfortable, aesthetically pleasing with beige decor, nice carpet, couch, good air con, comfortable bed and a large bath was a bonus as well as a shower.
The pool was always very clean and towels were available to hand at all times.
My only criticisms would be the Grill restaurant at the Hotel, the food there wasn't to my liking, the internet access was a bit sporadic and the tv entertainment choices were limited.

Room Tip: Room 101 is recommended. However it is in close proximity of the door to the function room and can b...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear underestimated,

Thank you for making the Goodwood Park Hotel your home for over a month.

I am pleased to learn that your stay had been a pleasant experience and our team members had left a positive impression on you with their impeccable service.

We have noted your feedback and will review them with our respective department head. It is through regular feedbacks from guests such as yourself that we are able to improve and create memorable experiences for our guests.

It has been a pleasure to have you stay with us.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We chose this hotel for its Colonial charm, smaller size and location. We had a lovely spacious newly refurbished room in the Mayfair wing. The room was really great, firm but comfortable bed, lovely lighting, good fixtures and great bathroom, the only downside was that the fridge didn't really chill drinks to cold enough and the aircon was a little noisy. The staff were very helpful and attentive and all our questions were answered with a smile. We enjoyed the location, close to all amenities including MRT but a little away from the crowds. The small swimming pool was tranquil and private and really enjoyable. I didn't try the afternoon tea but it certainly looked amazing - next time perhaps!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jozcat,

We are delighted that your found the Goodwood Park Hotel to be a calm oasis in the hustle and bustle of Singapore and you enjoyed the comforts of our newly refurbished Deluxe Mayfair rooms.

We have taken not of your feedback and will share your comments with our department heads.

Once again, it has been a pleasure to have you stay with us and I hope that you will have the opportunity to savour the tasty treats at the L’Espresso on your next vsit.