“Outstanding”

Ranked #32 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Canberra
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We (2 adults, 16 and 7 year old) stayed at the Goodwood in April 2014.

We chose this hotel due to location, appearance and option of ground floor rooms as my wife is unable to go in elevators. For once her fear was a blessing in disguise. What a fantastic hotel.

Location:
Excellent location on Scotts Road, about a 5 minute walk from the famous Ion Shopping mall on Orchard Road. We felt very safe everywhere we went in Singapore and walked from the hotel to Orchard Road everyday. You can catch the Hop On Hop Off bus from the bus stop on the corner of Scotts and Orchard Road.

Wonderful old colonial look to the building.

Check in:
We checked in late at night and found it quick and easy. The receptionist was very helpful.

Rooms:
We stayed in 2 connecting poolside suites that opened directly onto the main pool.

We had requested a king in one and two singles in the other. When we arrived reception informed us that both rooms had king bed but they could make up the sofa bed. Given our late arrival and how tired the children were for the first night the children just shared the king bed. The next day we asked if we could have two singles made up but this was not possible so we had the sofa bed made up. Given that we had two suites and the bedrooms could be closed off from the lounge area by sliding doors this actually ended up working well. Great separate lounge area with sofa, dining table and big TV. Dimming lights, great for leaving a light on for the children.

Rooms were very quiet, you can hear people in the pool but as it was people having fun it wasn't offensive by any means nor did it continue past sundown.

The bathrooms are big, the only thing that annoyed me was that the shower is in the bath and the shower curtains do not contain the water. Water therefore goes on the bathroom floor and down a drain. It is also quite a step out of the bath which may be difficult for some people. I would suggest that the baths be replaced with showers, does anyone use baths in hotels anymore?

Rooms are cleaned every day to a high standard complete with shoes being lined neatly up against the wall.

Breakfast:
As part of our package we had breakfast everyday at the hotel and found it excellent. Basically buffet fare, the chef's do great omelette's. Wonderful attentive staff offering coffee, hot chocolate etc when you arrive. Pancakes, cereal, yoghurt and toast for fussy kids. With a fussy eater in the family we found it well worth having the breakfast package if only to avoid trying to find breakfast with hungry children in tow.

Room Service food:
We had room service on 2 nights. No problems at all from grilled cheese sandwiches and burgers to narsi goring. Great food, good quick service and reasonable prices.

Restaurants:
The hotel has a number of restaurants, however we ate out most of the time as Singapore has such great restaurants at cheaper prices.

Pools:
The main pool is very big, but patrons from the restaurants are basically seated next to this pool, which did not feel comfortable to us. We spent most of our time in the smaller pool in another area of the hotel.

Both pools were never crowded, were crystal clear and clean. Lovely landscaping around them.

Little extras
The concierge was very helpful, organised transfers and tickets to Universal studios at a moments notice.
House keeping supervisors(?) double checking that we were happy with how our room had been cleaned.
Complementary bottled water, newspaper and nespresso coffee pods replenished daily. Acknowledgment with a smile, nod or greeting by name from staff as you walk by.

Stay again?
Yes we would, in a heart beat.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Dan639
Linda W, General Manager at Goodwood Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Hi Dan639,

It’s our pleasure to have you and your family back with us again!

I am really glad to hear that your stay was a memorable experience. Our team members will be very encouraged and motivated to continue delivering high standards of services to our guests when they hear of your kind and generous compliments. However I do regret that your request was not met upon check-in. This feedback had been shared with the reservations team and they have been advised to inform guests prior to arrival if we are not able to meet their request.

With regards to the bathroom, it will be further discussed with the Executive Housekeeper and we will look into options to enhance the experience.

Once again, thank you for sharing the lovely photos and we look forward to extending another warm welcome back again soon! Please feel free to contact the reservation team at +65 6730 1811 or email rmresv@goodwoodparkhotel.com if you need assistance on your next visit to Singapore or visit the hotel’s website for exclusive packages.

Best Regards
General Manager of Goodwood Park Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 April 2014

i booked a pool suite for 2 nights in April over the easter weekend to celebrate my daughter's birthday. Overall it was a fantastic stay and i will definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a hotel in orchard that provides good value. You will find more details below:

Location:
The hotel is located at Scotts road which is near to far east plaza and Ion. It is within walking distance to Orchard MRT so it is pretty convenient. However if you are travelling with young kids or old folks it can be tiring as the walk back to the hotel involve a gentle slope. It is also not connected directly to the MRT and can be a problem when it rains

Check in/out:
Check in was relatively fast. There was no queue and all the requests which i indicated in my booking was taken are off without me having to ask. i was able to check into my room when i arrived at 12pm ahead of the standard checkin hours which is a bonus. The only issue that i faced was that the staff was not very familiar with the terms of the suite package that i took up but apart from that i have no complaints.

Check out process was quick and hassle free. The final bill was accurate and they also gave me the complimentary parking ticket without me having to ask for it. Full marks here.

Room:
The suite that i had was large, clean, spacious and had direct access to the main swimming pool. It has all the standard ammenities including a nespresson machine for coffee lovers. sound from the corridor can be clearly heard in the living room but this wasn't a concern as the bedroom area has a seprate door which can be closed. The kids loved the direct access to the pool from the room! I also like the fact that you do not have to take a lift to reach your room as most of the rooms were on the ground floor.

Food:

Breakfast:
One of the things that we loved most about staycation is the breakfast. This is one area that goodwood park definitely needs to work on. The buffet breakfast that we had was very basic and lack variety and quality.There is only one live station for eggs so if you are looking for great breakfast like what they have in Shangrila, Ritz or pan pacific you need to look somewhere else.

Lunch/Dinner:
The hotel has various restaurants and buffets which we tried during our stay. We had lunch at Gordon Grill after having read about this restaurant in various reviews and it lived up to its reputation. the set lunch was reasonably priced and we loved the fact that we can sample the various appetizers, soups and desert that they have to offer as part of the set. We also tried the popular Taiwan porride buffet and was equally impressed with the quality of the food. If you are a fan of desserts then High tea at L Espresso is the place to go. There's always a crowd here when we walked past so i assume it must be pretty good. Unfortunately we did not have a chance to try this as we chose to have high tea at Min Jiang (so that the kids dun get high on sugar) which turn out to be rather average. Overall i loved the food here and i think they are very reasonably priced. Kids below 6 dine for free at the buffets and they have wonderful desserts at all their buffet (even the Taiwanese porridge have them). If you have a sweet tooth this is the place for u :)

Facilities:
The hotel has two pools one main pool near the restaurants and another one within the hotel near the rooms. Nothing fanciful here but my kids loved the pool here as it is not crowded and the water temperature was not too cold. The hotel also has a small gym which offers the basic treadmill, a multi station gym and free weights. I have definitely seen much better gyms out there but unless you are into serious body building this will probably not make much of a difference.

Service:
The staffs that we've met are very polite and always smilling. The house keeping was great so full marks here as well. The hotel even gave us a complementary birthday cake knowing that we are celebrating our daughter's birthday. Great service!

Overall i had a very enjoyable stay at the hotel. It is great value for money given the various freebies that comes along with the package. Would definitely consider Goodwood Park again for my next staycation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mkw-sg
Linda W, General Manager at Goodwood Park Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hi mkw-sg,

Thank you for choosing the Goodwood Park Hotel to celebrate your daughter’s birthday and I am glad it was an enjoyable stay.

I will definitely share your generous compliments with the team and they will be delighted and motivated to continue delivering high level of service standards to all our guests.

With regards to the breakfast selections, I will share your feedback with our culinary team. Please be assured that we are consistently reviewing the selections to enhance the variety for our guests.

Once again, it was our pleasure to have you and your family with us. If we can be of any assistance for your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact our reservations team or visit the hotel’s website for exclusive packages and promotions.

Best Regards,
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have just returned home after having 6 wonderful weeks at this hotel (HUSBAND WAS WORKING IN SINGAPORE)we had a pool suite which along with the location had everything you could want.a very comfortable bed tea -coffee making facilities.Breakfast was very good with cooked to order eggs variety of fresh fruit.The staff in every department of the hotel were excellent they made our stay most enjoyable. The english high tea was fantastic with a huge variety on offer.Very handy for the main shopping area of orchard rd the mrt a short distance away.this hotel could not do enough to make our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank allybally26
Chipping Norton, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel due to its location, pool and price. My wife, 2yo and I stayed here for 6 nights.. The hotel feels very homely and old.. It's in a great location and is a great escape from the city.. There are plenty of great places to eat within a 5-10min walk so we didn't eat at the hotel.. The hotel seamed more geared towards business travellers.. There was no tours desk though the employees there helped out a lot with our touristy questions.. we would stay here again!!!

Stayed April 2014
Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed at the Goodwood late last year and only getting to this now! Still our stay was so memorable and enjoyable I knew I should write. We are two Aussies wanting some quality relaxation and chill out time in a boutique hotel. We have stayed in Singapore a number of times over the years but wanted something different this time. The Goodwood provided all this and more. The location is excellent literally metres to Orchard Rd and walking distance to Newtons Circus for we more casual diners. We loved the ambience of relaxed drinks by the main pool each night and the unobtrusive but wonderful service. The rooms at the Goodwood are exceptionally comfortable and large by Singapore standards. We would recommend the Goodwood to discerning travellers who don't want multi- floor sky scraper hotels but who appreciate great service and a relaxed atmosphere. Would we stay here again? Absolutely.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked to be good and the suites well worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

The gym, the pool and friendly staff are a bonus! Very well located close to best shopping centres in Singapore, it's a charming colonial building in the heart of town. I recommend it. Wifi works well in the room and it makes your trip so much easier when u can search online for locations! I still think rooms are a bit too pricy ~300AUD/night but we are having a great time here!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights on a trip with my family. We drove a car and parked at the basement car park but were surprised that there was no shaded connection between the hotel lobby and the car park (it was raining quite heavily). Luckily we met a friendly staff who brought us to the lobby through their service area (i.e. those small corridors used by only staffs to access various parts of the building), otherwise we would be soaked if we were to walk under the heavy rain.

The room was clean and the staffs were very helpful. However, I think the beds are too short for most people. I am about 179cm tall (which is around 5'11") but I couldn't even sleep with my body straight because my legs would be hanging out from the bed when I do that. As a result, I had to flex my leg / body when I sleep, not exactly a pose which I'm used to when I sleep.

Also, I think the faucets deserve some upgrading. I could see the chrome 'peeling' off from the faucet at the sink -- not a common sight in a 4 - 5 stars hotel considering most would be using high-quality faucets with thick chrome plated on brass material, but that's not what I saw in that room.

At last, I think this is a common problem with most air-conditioners. While it's great that there's also ceiling fan installed in the room, I find it hard to decide between 23 and 24 degree celcius for the air-conditioner in my room. There is a great difference between the two, with the latter being too warm and the former too cold (you could hear a louder fan in the A/C when you chose 23C, in addition to being colder). I'm glad the blankets are thick and comfortable, so I could sleep better at night when it's set at a colder temperature but if I were to just sit on the bed / chair, it would be too cold after a while. It would be better if we can change the temperature and fan speed (of the A/C) independently, as I'd prefer to have higher fan speed and temperature (but the current controller only increases the fan speed when temperature is set lower).

Overall, I'm rather satisfied with the stay although I think it could be improved with better 'hardware' (the beds, faucets etc.). The choices of food in the breakfast buffet, in my opinion, is quite limited for a hotel of this class, but there's quite a good selection of drinks (orange, grapefruit and pineapple juice, coffee, tea etc.).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear BillyFCC,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your experience.

I am pleased to hear that your stay was a pleasant experience however I do regret that we did not meet your expectations in certain areas of the product. We will certainly look into your feedback and where the needs are, improvements will be made with the clear objective of providing great value and to enhance the guest experience at our hotel.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Goodwood Park Hotel and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you and your family back again in the near future.

Best Regards,