“Beautiful Old Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Port Augusta
“Beautiful Old Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

This hotel is steeped in history and the old entrance hall is spectacular. We had two rooms, one was quite large the other (overlooking the smaller pool) was a bit smaller but still nice, each had its own balcony with seats. It is on a large block and you have to walk up a hill to get to the entrance, so wasn't great for one of our party who has mobility issues. Close to Orchard Rd and the MRT. Only complaints were no free internet access that I could find and the bed was a bit hard for my taste (but I still slept well!!).

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

Our travel agent found the hotel had a special price offer when we planned to go, and so booked us in. We were there from 1-4 February. I was a bit concerned as to why they were so cheap especially considering some of the comments of other postings, but we were very pleased with everything.

Reservations – Despite advising travel agent that sons were over 6 ft tall, and needed individual beds (not a rollaway), we emailed the hotel a few weeks before we travelled of our requirements. The hotel claimed they were unaware of our sons being adults. They said they had noted our requirements. Upon arrival we found they had arranged for our sons to stay in a twin room.
Arrival – We found the hotel porters and concierge staff to be polite and attentive. We were shown to our room by a staff member, and he explained the facilities of the room how the various controls worked.
Rooms – We had a twin share room for our sons and a double room for ourselves. In addition to a bed/s each room contained a desk, lounge chair with foot stool, 2 seater couch, 40” wall mounted plasma TV, telephone, hair dryer, safe. Even with all this furniture there was still heaps of floor space.
Both the room and bathroom were modern and clean. The bathroom was small but does include a bath.
Internet – wired internet was available for SGD30/day.
Restaurants – there are several restaurants on-site. Our package included a buffet style breakfast in the main restaurant. The food provided was what you would expect in a hotel. The staff were very attentive, probably in part because most times when we ate there, the number of waiting staff outnumbered the customers.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank WDabs
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

We have stayed at Goodwoodpark for the past 4 yrs , we chose it because the Parklane suites have balconies for my husband to smoke and to air our golf shoes and golf clubs.
Other than that the suites are dull , old and smell damp . The aircon is so ancient that it drips endlessly when it runs for too long . The front door to room doesn't even fit .
Management does even check on the proper running of the rooms. Shower curtain hangs just at the edge of the bathtub , when shower is on the floor gets dangerously wet . Tiles in bathroom need to regrotted . In fact the whole bathroom is in dire need o a face lift to catch up with modern civilization .
I am not an electrical appliances fanatic but I definitely have a much better set than the hotel.
Pricing is wrong . Internet is over price d, hotel charges S$30 a day , just down at the shopping mall at the Paragon , internet connection is free , just head on to the Singapore Promotion Board along Orchard Road , the nice ladies will explain hook up to free surfing .
And the internet connection is still stuck at the stone age era.
For ourselves we will stay there again , smokers don't have too many choices nowadays, but convenience and size is tops . But again there are many newer hotels along Orchard and others which have understood the importance of reinventing themselves to keep up with the times.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

We stayed at Goodwood Park on the advice of our travel agent. We were a bit concerned initially that it was up the 'wrong' end, i.e. the end of Orchard Rd rather than down in the Raffles end of town.

However we were so pleased in the end that we stayed there - it's really close to the MRT so it's easy to get around and having had a look down the Marina end, it's far less touristy (though in Singapore that still means large malls!).

The grounds of the hotel are large, semi-tropical gardens and quiet and it's a really nice retreat from all the mayhem. There are two pools and we stayed overlooking the main one (which gets a bit more sun though they could maybe do with a few more lounges) and I recommend gettting a room that overlooks the central garden so you can cut across (it's quite a long way round through some tasteful but essentially boring corridors otherwise!)

The staff were polite and allowed us to extend our room booking since we had a late flight out and we very much appreciated that.

Overall we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brunswick_travellers
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

I chose this hotel as a bit of luxury on our return journey home from a 6 week holiday - we were not disappointed! The location, food and service were excellent. The hotel is located within walking distance from all the shops and malls.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

After reading some of the negative reviews here, I was a little nervous about staying at the GWP Hotel. However, I was arriving from an underdeveloped country (transit point), so frankly, anything would have been 5 stars in my book. I think a lot of the complainers here should try and do that - arrive from a poor country, and let's see how much complaining you can really do.

The hotel is old (yes, there is a slight "old" smell, but you really don't notice it) and as such has a certain charm. Rather than calling the rooms "old" and "dated", I considered them "clean" and "retro" (art deco chic, esp the lighting behind the bed! cool!). The bathroom (most important to me) was SPOTLESS and beautiful - all marble. Hot water, excellent water pressure, and great toiletries. The swimming pools are beautiful. The service was prompt and polite. The bed was very comfortable. It was quiet at night. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, and I have no idea why people are so disappointed with it. I paid slightly less than I would have at the ritzier "new" hotels. The high tea buffet was beautiful and leisurely - a highlight for me for sure.

The only thing I'd say is that the Internet access should be free.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

In a nutshell:

The hotel didn't live up to the heritage hype of luxury and service. Check-in was horrible. There were five people at Front Desk and none of them even greeted me and acknowledged another couple's presence there until the couple called their attention. All of the personnel, including what seems to be the higher-ups, seem to lack professionalism and decorum. Everyone was all over the place chit-chatting, etc etc. Front Desk didn't get my room request right and just settled in at the second room we transferred to because, by then, I just wanted to rest.(I regret not having asked for a non-smoking floor transfer again because later that night, the smoking floor reeked of cigarette smoke.To add to that the toilet in my room was filthy with dried up rusty water on it's side. The do not disturb sign was not working, as well as the safe, and the room smelled it's age. When I said I didn't want to transfer anymore and would just like someone to clean the toilet, the housekeeping supervisor lady kept on making excuses about it being an issue of the toilet not working properly and not a cleaning one. All I could tell her is that if that was permanent, then it is an eye sore and maybe they should tell management to do something about it.
It's a shame, you can still see the charm of this hotel in some parts. But, bottom line, it is only the location that serves this place well. As one of the reviews here said, I really won't consider this hotel a 5-stat property now.
I have pics to prove the above but I think the review is enough. They are available upon request :-)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank the1stclassproject
GWPHGM, General Manager at Goodwood Park Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2011
Dear the1classproject Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your observations and constructive reviews of our hotel.

I acknowledged on the lapse of service you have received from our front line staff and I would like to express my sincere apologies for the encounter.
This has been brought up with the Head of Department to address the issue immediately.

We acknowledged the condition of the carpet, the carpet is stained and we are in the process of having it changed.
The leakage found around the cistern has since been rectified by our Housekeeping and Engineering departments.

We would like to assure what you have experienced, is neither the best nor the least which Goodwood Park Hotel is renowned for.
The heritage and elegance of the hotel, have won us numerous recognitions from around the world which we regretted was not being embraced at the time of your stay.

Thus, let us have another opportunity to welcome you back and to win back your trust.

Best Regards,