“Fantastic Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #63 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Melbourne Australia
“Fantastic Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed for 5 nights & could not fault this Hotel, we had a Harbour view which especially at night was awesome, the King size bed is very comfortable, Housekeeping cleaned everyday, the breakfast was amazing, everything you could think of was there for you, The Hotel is just next to City Hall Mrt station which we used to get around all of Singapore, it also has Raffles City Mall under it for all your shopping & restaurant needs, The Hotel is in a great Location & just across the road from Raffles Hotel, Make sure you go there for a Singapore Sling

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SwissotelTheStamford, Hotel Manager at Swissotel The Stamford Singapore, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear mumbo,

Thank you for leaving us a wonderful review! I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. Indeed, our location allows guests to get around Singapore with great convenience, and am glad to hear that you managed to explore many places in the city. Take care, and we look forward to your return in the near future!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,555)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
KL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed 4 nights as part of a conference package. The amount charged, S$340++ was higher than the S$310 or so offered over the internet, and naturally, I thought this was a conference-linked discounted price with extra amenities.

I was told by the conference organisers (who are one of Singapore's largest, and who regularly work with this hotel and Raffles City and the government; the conference was co-hosted by the Singapore Government) that my package includes wi-fi and breakfast. At check in at about 5pm, I inquired and the hotel said "no". I asked them to check again and showed them my email trail, and they promised to message me within a few hours. They did not. I checked again around midnight, and again they said no. I checked again the next morning, and they still said no. Finally at 5 pm on day 2, they repeated "no" and they have "re-checked" several times. In parallel, I had been in contact with the organisers who kept insisting "yes". The hotel said they are unable to act on emails between me and the organisers, even if it included the Stamford sales team as the sales team are in a "different department".

Finally, at 9.30pm on day 2, the hotel contacted me to say there was a "miscommunication" between their rooms and sales teams, and indeed, I ought to have had wi-fi and breakfast. By this time (29 hours after check in), I had forgone 1 day's wi-fi and breakfast. I was not offered any voucher or discount. Throughout the "miscommunication", I asked to see any senior manager but they repeatedly refused. Only check in staff and the phone-receptionist dealt with me.

I told the hotel I am going to write about all this in Tripadvisor. I saw mild panic, I received an apology note written by a rather junior assistant manager and a small plate of fruits. (but still nothing to replace the lost wi-fi or breakfast). Unofficially, I was told that their senior managers tend to avoid meeting guests in situations like this, and I empathise with the rather junior front line staff who take the brunt of pressure. I also asked why they couldn't exercise discretion on the email trail between the conference organisers and their sales team. They said they were not empowered to do so, and only their management can do this during "regular office hours", which is why they took so long to revert.

This is rather sad. The hotel has 1.200+ rooms and is extremely successful. Through its life, well more than 12 million (!) guests have stayed here. The rooms are well worn, and the clever colours try to mask the scratches and stains (every counter top will have glass stains) pretty well. Sheets are never changed unless you request it (mine weren't and they confirmed they do not have a default change timeline, even in a multi-day stay). 2 bottles of water are added in your room even if it grows to a large pile (I had 8). The toilet flush levers are very heavy duty (has i, heavy springs and takes about 12kgs of palm pressure and is designed to last decades). Staff work very hard and operate with mechanical efficiency, like at an assembly line. There is no place for "personal touches" or non-standard methods as these are inefficient, not unlike Henry Ford's "you can choose any colour so long as it is black".

Yet, it is always nearly full, due to the conference package link. Not having efficient links to their sales team nor accountability or empowerment is unacceptable. I suspect nothing will change as it will continue minting money (at 3 times the size of the largest hotel in Singapore, their unit cost is very, very, low; at the same IRR, rates will be about S$220 here) and the 95% of guests who fit the "standard" pattern will render the unlucky 5% irrelevant. Is the management or are the guests to blame? Que sera sera.

Room Tip: Check prices on-line; avoid getting ripped off through conference packages.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank KT785
SwissotelTheStamford, Hotel Manager at Swissotel The Stamford Singapore, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

I regret to hear of the disappointing experience you had during your stay with us and apologise for the miscommunication that resulted in the inconveniences faced. We have since reviewed this incident with the respective teams involved and will most certainly be looking into putting in place a more comprehensive process through which we will be able to communicate with the respective teams more efficiently in order to ensure that our guests are provided with the most accurate information at all times. Nonetheless, I do admit that this incident could have been handled with a better approach, and sincerely apologise for it.

Please rest assured however, that we truly believe in empowering our colleagues with the necessary levels of authority, and do encourage them to actively make decisions in situations that call for them. Nonetheless, I agree with you that this should have been escalated to our managers, who would have been able to provide the right information most quickly.

As a hotel of this large a scale, we are always looking for ways to improve on our product, service and processes, and are most appreciative of feedback from guests like yourself. I would like to take this opportunity to also share with you, that we are looking at renovation plans for the hotel very soon, and hope that we will be able to present you with a brand new experience during your next stay with us.

I sincerely hope for an opportunity to reinstate your trust in us and look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Labrador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Excellant Hotel. Central to everything. Great shopping and a good choice of restaurants.Very good amenities. Only criticism is no milk in mini bar for tea or coffee.Very expensive for drinks and food in hotel area for the average tourist.
No free Wi Fi in rooms or hotel area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

SwissotelTheStamford, Hotel Manager at Swissotel The Stamford Singapore, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Graham,

I’m delighted to read about your recent stopover in Singapore and appreciate the many compliments you have shared with us. At the same time, your feedback on the mini bar is well-noted, and will be shared during our regular F&B meetings for a thorough review. Separately, you may wish to know that Internet access is complimentary when you sign up as a valued member of the Swissotel Circle. This loyalty programme also allows our guests to enjoy a host of other attractive benefits. So do sign up for the membership the next time you stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you then!

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The most impressive was the view of Singapore Harbour area...... At day time, we can see the sea and the city, at the night, you will have a beautifull light show on the surounding. You will never forget this rare experience

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Dear RiBud,

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! It’s great that you managed to catch the light show from your balcony, and am glad that you enjoyed the beautiful views of the harbour view from the comfort of your room. Looking forward to welcoming you back again!

PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were recommended this hotel for business travel. The hotel itself and the lobby are gorgeous! Well kept, excellent locations, great views and accessible to many things within walking distance. CityLink MRT is right outside the door, along with a few places to grab a fast bite. The Raffles City Mall is connected to the hotel on the second floor and provides more shopping than most could imagine along with an excellent food court on B1 with restaurants serving various cuisine and specialties.
Pros: The service could not be beat. They were prompt, courteous and helped every time they were asked.
Cons: No breakfast offered. Nearly $30 a day for breakfast if you want to eat at the hotels version. Go outside, around the corner and visit Starbucks or McDonalds - seriously. Wi-fi is, at minimum. $10 a day - up to $130 a week! Again - I could go outside to McDonald's and Starbucks to use the free service. Our fee was waived due to our business rate but I have stayed in chain hotels elsewhere that were not rated anywhere near the level of this hotel where Wifi was free to guests. $30 a day servicing fee to have your room serviced and towels left if you prefer. The room service was not bad but was not worth the $86 dollars we paid for a bowl of pasta and a chicken sandwich.
Our room keys stopped working 5 times during our 10 day stay. I was not keeping it near any other cards in my wallet or purse; it was not scratched or damaged. It just stopped working. The same thing happened to my co-workers keys. Very frustrating coming back after a long day of work, going to the 28th floor to find out neither key is working any longer.

Overall, the place is in a great location, beautiful and its employees are great. But the costs and fees are really ridiculous. I know I'll be returning to Singapore again but I am not sure I'll return here. If I am going to pay as much as I did here I'll look around for places that have a little more included.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room facing the Marina Bay Sands .
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank EnjoyingItAll
Dear EnjoyingItAll,

Thank you for sharing with us your stay experience. Appreciate your compliments on the convenient location, service and the stunning view of the Singapore’s cityscape from the comfort of the balcony. At the same time, your feedback on the breakfast pricing and keycard issue has been directed to the relevant departments for thorough review. Separately, you may wish to know that Internet access is complimentary when you sign up as a valued member of the Swissotel Circle. This loyalty programme also allows our guests to enjoy a host of other attractive benefits, so I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel is superb. The staff of the hotel is well behaved and spoken and helps in anyway. The wifi and internet service of the hotel is very expensive. The concierge service is up to the mark. I loved the stay at the hotel and sternly recommend that you should visit the hotel once.

Abhishek Goel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Agag94,

Thank you for your lovely review! It makes me happy to hear that you loved our helpful and friendly staff and the commendable concierge service. With regards to Internet charges, you might like to know that when you sign up as a valued member of the Swissotel Circle, you will enjoy complimentary unlimited Internet access, alongside with a host of other benefits as well. With that, I thank you for your recommendation and hope to see you again!

Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed here for three nights and really could not fault the hotel with the exception of perhaps the cost of Breakfast. The rooms are comfortable and adequately furnished. I did not ever work out how to operate the coffee machine though prefer to have coffee in a cafe anyway. The gym was well equipped and was accessible via a walk to the adjoining hotel if before 7am. Could readily negotiate the MRT to travel reasonably to the convention centre at Marina Sands.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear aquarianmark,

Thank you for your kind review! It’s nice to hear that you found our rooms comfortable and our location conveniently accessible. With regards to our breakfast pricing, rest assured that we will take your feedback into consideration during our regular price review. Separately, please feel free to give any of our colleagues a call should you require assistance with the use of our coffee machine during your next visit, and they will be most happy to assist! Thank you once again for staying with us, and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again!