Swissotel The Stamford Singapore
Agoda.com
US$425
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$197
US$779
US$522
MarinaBaySands
  • Pool
Ibis Singapore on Bencoolen(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$105
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
US$128
US$124
Travelocity
8,395 results
All reviewscafe swisstallest hotelharbour viewcity hall mrt stationshopping mallgrand roommarina bay sandshigh floorexcellent locationfood courtan upgradeconvenient locationexecutive roombusiness tripbusiness hotelbuffet breakfastearly check
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The view of the harbour across to the Marina was great from our room, and well-worth spending a little more on. This hotel is in a good location with access to public transport, restaurants and shopping. We walked a fair bit to get a sense of the city and were able to walk to Chinatown within 40 minutes, and to the Marina area within 25 mins. Our room was large, very clean and the king sized bed was really comfortable. Free wi-fi is available if you sign up for the Swissotel membership, which is not difficult to do. We had two breakfasts at the Cafe Swiss, which is very light and a large range of choice. The staff were helpful, particularly the concierge desk for organising tours and general information. We ate out - in Chinatown, at Jumbo restaurant (via taxi), at two street markets (one under the Singapore Flyer and the other next to the entertainment centre, which is only 10 minutes walk from the hotel), and at a few food halls as we walked around (including the food hall under the Swissotel and the one at Marina Sands).

Room Tip: Harbour side if you can as the view is good, especially at night
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
SwissotelTheStamford, Hotel Manager at Swissotel The Stamford Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear putmeontheplane,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I'm glad that we were able to take took great care of every aspect of your stay, it was certainly our pleasure!

It delights me to hear that you were able to explore the locale in the vicinity of our hotel with much ease, and even more so that our colleagues at the concierge team were able to assist with your needs.

The cityscape in Singapore is always changing, so I look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable experience with us very soon!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Fifth stay at Swissotel, The Stampford at Singapore. Great Staff, comfortable stay. Once again the staff at Cafe Swiss lead by Winston are the best in the Business. The team are just the best in every aspect.

Room Tip: Anything above 40 floors, city or harbour views is good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Sonny,

Thank you for your continuous support for Swissotel The Stamford! I will certainly convey your compliments to Winston and the rest of the team at Café Swiss, as an encouragement of their excellent service. Do keep us in mind when you’re next visiting Singapore, and hope to see you again then!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed for 5 nights & could not fault this Hotel, we had a Harbour view which especially at night was awesome, the King size bed is very comfortable, Housekeeping cleaned everyday, the breakfast was amazing, everything you could think of was there for you, The Hotel is just next to City Hall Mrt station which we used to get around all of Singapore, it also has Raffles City Mall under it for all your shopping & restaurant needs, The Hotel is in a great Location & just across the road from Raffles Hotel, Make sure you go there for a Singapore Sling

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear mumbo,

Thank you for leaving us a wonderful review! I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. Indeed, our location allows guests to get around Singapore with great convenience, and am glad to hear that you managed to explore many places in the city. Take care, and we look forward to your return in the near future!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed 4 nights as part of a conference package. The amount charged, S$340++ was higher than the S$310 or so offered over the internet, and naturally, I thought this was a conference-linked discounted price with extra amenities.

I was told by the conference organisers (who are one of Singapore's largest, and who regularly work with this hotel and Raffles City and the government; the conference was co-hosted by the Singapore Government) that my package includes wi-fi and breakfast. At check in at about 5pm, I inquired and the hotel said "no". I asked them to check again and showed them my email trail, and they promised to message me within a few hours. They did not. I checked again around midnight, and again they said no. I checked again the next morning, and they still said no. Finally at 5 pm on day 2, they repeated "no" and they have "re-checked" several times. In parallel, I had been in contact with the organisers who kept insisting "yes". The hotel said they are unable to act on emails between me and the organisers, even if it included the Stamford sales team as the sales team are in a "different department".

Finally, at 9.30pm on day 2, the hotel contacted me to say there was a "miscommunication" between their rooms and sales teams, and indeed, I ought to have had wi-fi and breakfast. By this time (29 hours after check in), I had forgone 1 day's wi-fi and breakfast. I was not offered any voucher or discount. Throughout the "miscommunication", I asked to see any senior manager but they repeatedly refused. Only check in staff and the phone-receptionist dealt with me.

I told the hotel I am going to write about all this in Tripadvisor. I saw mild panic, I received an apology note written by a rather junior assistant manager and a small plate of fruits. (but still nothing to replace the lost wi-fi or breakfast). Unofficially, I was told that their senior managers tend to avoid meeting guests in situations like this, and I empathise with the rather junior front line staff who take the brunt of pressure. I also asked why they couldn't exercise discretion on the email trail between the conference organisers and their sales team. They said they were not empowered to do so, and only their management can do this during "regular office hours", which is why they took so long to revert.

This is rather sad. The hotel has 1.200+ rooms and is extremely successful. Through its life, well more than 12 million (!) guests have stayed here. The rooms are well worn, and the clever colours try to mask the scratches and stains (every counter top will have glass stains) pretty well. Sheets are never changed unless you request it (mine weren't and they confirmed they do not have a default change timeline, even in a multi-day stay). 2 bottles of water are added in your room even if it grows to a large pile (I had 8). The toilet flush levers are very heavy duty (has i, heavy springs and takes about 12kgs of palm pressure and is designed to last decades). Staff work very hard and operate with mechanical efficiency, like at an assembly line. There is no place for "personal touches" or non-standard methods as these are inefficient, not unlike Henry Ford's "you can choose any colour so long as it is black".

Yet, it is always nearly full, due to the conference package link. Not having efficient links to their sales team nor accountability or empowerment is unacceptable. I suspect nothing will change as it will continue minting money (at 3 times the size of the largest hotel in Singapore, their unit cost is very, very, low; at the same IRR, rates will be about S$220 here) and the 95% of guests who fit the "standard" pattern will render the unlucky 5% irrelevant. Is the management or are the guests to blame? Que sera sera.

Room Tip: Check prices on-line; avoid getting ripped off through conference packages.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank KT785
SwissotelTheStamford, Hotel Manager at Swissotel The Stamford Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

I regret to hear of the disappointing experience you had during your stay with us and apologise for the miscommunication that resulted in the inconveniences faced. We have since reviewed this incident with the respective teams involved and will most certainly be looking into putting in place a more comprehensive process through which we will be able to communicate with the respective teams more efficiently in order to ensure that our guests are provided with the most accurate information at all times. Nonetheless, I do admit that this incident could have been handled with a better approach, and sincerely apologise for it.

Please rest assured however, that we truly believe in empowering our colleagues with the necessary levels of authority, and do encourage them to actively make decisions in situations that call for them. Nonetheless, I agree with you that this should have been escalated to our managers, who would have been able to provide the right information most quickly.

As a hotel of this large a scale, we are always looking for ways to improve on our product, service and processes, and are most appreciative of feedback from guests like yourself. I would like to take this opportunity to also share with you, that we are looking at renovation plans for the hotel very soon, and hope that we will be able to present you with a brand new experience during your next stay with us.

I sincerely hope for an opportunity to reinstate your trust in us and look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Excellant Hotel. Central to everything. Great shopping and a good choice of restaurants.Very good amenities. Only criticism is no milk in mini bar for tea or coffee.Very expensive for drinks and food in hotel area for the average tourist.
No free Wi Fi in rooms or hotel area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts
SwissotelTheStamford, Hotel Manager at Swissotel The Stamford Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Graham,

I’m delighted to read about your recent stopover in Singapore and appreciate the many compliments you have shared with us. At the same time, your feedback on the mini bar is well-noted, and will be shared during our regular F&B meetings for a thorough review. Separately, you may wish to know that Internet access is complimentary when you sign up as a valued member of the Swissotel Circle. This loyalty programme also allows our guests to enjoy a host of other attractive benefits. So do sign up for the membership the next time you stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you then!