“Great Location and Relaxing Pool”

Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore
Ranked #39 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I booked a cheap room through agoda and was given a room with twin beds. It wasn't particularly comfortable and they use those huge square European pillows which I have never found very comfortable either. Regardless, the pool area was a welcome respite from the hot weather and the big plus was a Nescafe Coffee machine in the room which was great. Check in seemed to take forever as did checkout. Not a big deal but they do seem to be understaffed particularly at the busy check out time 11.00am-noon.

I would stay there again as long as I got a bigger bed. The views of Marina Sands and the Singapore Wheel were great at night.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 August 2011

Stayed at this hotel on a stopover through Singapore.
On arrival they could not find details of our booking. The staff's command of English was very poor considering the location. Eventually booking details were located but it took over an hour to check in.
The rooms were very small and very ordinary however they were clean and everything worked.
The location is good just across from Clarke Quay and there are plenty of restaurants in the locality.
Returning to the hotel at 10.00 pm the lobby bar was completely devoid of atmosphere and unwelcoming.
Check out next day was nearly as slow as check in. There were two inadequately trained staff trying to check out a number of people most with airport connections to make. It took over 45 minutes to check out seemingly caused by inadequately trained staff .
All in all over 10% of my time at this hotel was standing waiting at reception.
A wholly unsatisfactory experience and hardly an example of Swiss efficiency.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MarkHilton
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Lets start with the negatives, the rooms, while good sized and very nice, they definitely need some updating. I also had chipped and broken looking tiles in the bathroom and the bathroom was definitely from a past era. The room also had suprisingly few power outlets, which wasnt a problem, just a sign of an older property. Also, you are right in the middle of the largest concentration of tourists and tourist restaurants and chains around. While this can be great because its easy to find always and there is always action. It can also keep you from experiencing and feeling a more "real" Singapore. These things are positives for some people while negative for others. That aside, the people were very friendly and helpful. The room was very comfortable. The pool and pool area were very nice and a welcomed relief from the heat! The included breakfast buffet was quite good. Its in a very central location which is very convenient. Especially for the Metro system. It seemed to be in the middle area between the main four corners of the city so good access to everything. I'd recommend this hotel with no reservations! Thanks Swissotel for a great week

Room Tip: A very nice room for the price in its location!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bigcheese88
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I stayed here on my way back from 3 weeks in Europe and met with my wife who flew in from Australia for a few days away.
My flight arrived from Europe early in the morning, so I was at the hotel well before check-in time. I was informed that the only available rooms were smoking rooms unless I wished to upgrade for an additional daily charge. After a long flight from Europe, during which I had been quite ill I was happy to take the upgrade and not have to wait until, possibly, 2pm to get access to a room.
The upgrade included access to the Executive Lounge for breakfasts and cocktails in the evening. We did not make use of the cocktails and canapes, but breakfasted here every morning and very much enjoyed the offerings. Many of them rotated daily so there was always some staples, but also some differing choices.

The room itself was quite nice, spacious, with a nice verandah and a view looking out towards the Marina Bay Sands complex and the Singapore CBD. However after a couple of days we were planning a relaxing day in our room and around the hotel, but this was spoiled by the loud sounds of construction coming from the room above us. I appreciate the need to upgrade rooms and fix any problems, what I do not appreciate was the lack of notice. After speaking with reception staff, on two occasions before we got an answer (despite being told a message would be sent to our room after the first request), as to what was going on. It was clearly not something that was being undertaken as emergency works and notice could have been given to guests in affected rooms/floors.

However to their credit we did end up being moved to a room on a higher floor and away from the affected area and the rest of our stay went without a hitch, including a birthday cake and card being delivered to our room while we were out at dinner for my birthday.

The pool area is very nice, with plenty of deck chairs and towels and a very relaxed atmosphere... We spent many hours here relaxing after breakfast, or before dinner after getting back from a days wanderings.

Despite the few little issues we would have no issues with returning to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ozFinn
Reviewed 26 August 2011

This is was my second stay in this hotel, the rooms are large, the bathrooms look a little bit tired but are very clean. The central location is perfect for taxis, MRT, shopping, restaurants and bars at Clarke Quay. The staff are very helpful and breakfast was very good. The coffee needs work though - shocking. The drinks at the bar are quite pricey but so are most things in Singapore. There is a supermarket within walking distance for anything you might need during your stay. We have stayed in many other hotels in Singers, the Merchant Court is probably the best for location.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KarePhilBrisbane
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This was a high quality hotel in a good location, with a very warm welcome from staff. As we arrived early in the morning, they were very accommodating in allowing us access to the gym area to freshen up and hang out by the pool until the room was ready.

The pool is a lovely haven and the poolside restaurant was excellent for breakfast. Other plus points include the quality of the rooms and the generous proportions of the public areas. Wifi worked and was included.

My only criticism was that one day we arrived towards the end of the breakfast session at 10.30 and just about everything had been cleared away. The odd flight times for Singapore should make the hotel more flexible and keep some facility available. As it was Singapore, it was also very expensive, but this is the same everywhere.

Overall a very good hotel and I would return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Our family stayed at the Swissotel Merchant Court right after Chinese New Year 2011. We loved the location of the hotel. It's located right on Clarke Quay near lots of people and restaurants and is romantic to walk around at night. It's also one metro stop away from China town. We also really liked the hotel pool. As for the rooms, I think the decor and amenities are a little too plain and basic for Singapore standards. The hotel was clean enough but a bit boring. The view from the corner rooms where my parents stayed are fantastic but other than that, there wasn't anything else particularly special about the hotel. We had breakfast included in our room rate which was pretty good. For cheap eats, there is a $2 ice cream man who usually sits near the entrance of the hotel that I really liked getting ice cream from. There is also ramen house on the second or third floor of the shopping complex directly to the right of the hotel (if you're facing the quay) that I'd also recommend. I'd come back to this area but I'd be interested in trying a different hotel next time unless this hotel gave me a deal I can't refuse.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family