“Good location right on Clarke Quay”

Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore
Ranked #33 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good location right on Clarke Quay”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel with our 2 daughters aged 13 & 9. The hotel is right on Clarke Quay which is a good location right on the Singapore River with lots of restaurants, bars and street entertainment, especially coming to life at night! We had standard interconnecting rooms which were good, they had very high ceilings, very clean, mini bar, tea/coffee making facilities, bathrooms could possibly do with an upgrade but we didn't really mind. The pool area was lovely, both my girls loved the slide and I enjoyed the poolside bar service, nice Pina Colada brought to you at lunchtime, mmm!! Food at the pool bar was also really good. We had dinner one night at the Blue Potato Restaurant which was fabulous, one of the nicest steaks I've had. However, breakfast was somewhat different. I appreciate that the hotel has to cater for all different cultures but I found that there was nothing my children would eat apart from the fresh fruit. Cant say fish fingers and stir fried noodles and broccoli for breakfast is my cup of tea either. Although they did have a chef cooking eggs but the queues were always big. Staff on the Reception Desk were lovely, very helpful. We changed rooms for our last night as we had an early morning flight and wanted to stay on in a room for as long as possible, they moved us to a Superior room which was really nice, much nicer than the one we had stayed in. Not sure I would stay in this hotel if I went back to Singapore but we have a lovely stay nonetheless. As we stayed over Easter weekend, they put little chocolate bunnies in our room, which I thought was a lovely idea.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dave2308
SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Dave2308,

Thank you for your kind compliments. I am warmed to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Your praises of our Front Office team members and our Food & Beverage offerings at Blue Potato is especially delightful to note. Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Rainer Tenius

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at the Swissotel Merchant Court for 7 nights at the end of May 2014. We had previously stayed at this hotel in December 2012, and the experience was so good we decided to give it another go. We stayed in a Premier Room which had a balcony with views onto Merchant Road. There are number of things to like about this establishment. Number one is the location, which is right next to Clarke Quay, 10 mins walk from Boat Quay, and 15 mins walk from Chinatown. Number two is the buffet breakfast, which is one of the best I’ve had in my travels. Three is that the Clarke Quay MRT station is under the hotel – very convenient. Finally the pool is fantastic after a day out in sweaty Singapore. The only real negative we had was the bathroom in our room. There was very little water pressure and the shower head was fixed quite low with no room to move it up or down. For a “premier room” it was very sub-standard. It also looked as if the bathroom had been recently re-tiled, but the workmanship was very shoddy. Despite the negative, the hotel is a great place to stay when in Singapore.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank slyboy54
Dear slyboy54,

Thank you for your kind compliments. I am truly pleased to hear that you and your partner had a delightful stay with us and enjoyed our location and facilities, especially our buffet breakfast served. At the same time, please accept my apologies for the disappointment held over the concerns over the bathroom which has been duly looked into. My team and I are touched by your comments and your continuous support and we look forward to seeing you again soon on your return visit.

Montrose
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Close to shopping, dinning, and site seeing.
The service at the hotel was excellent, nice pool, restaurants on site with great food, and the staff was very friendly and helpful with direction and points of interest.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Brian B
Dear Brian B,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to note that you enjoyed the convenience of our location and our Swiss hospitality during your stay with us. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Swissôtel Merchant Court in the near future.

Perth, Australia

I stayed here with my daughter november 2013
This is a well positioned hotel within walking distance to china town and the Singapore river
It has a nice pool and gym and the restaurant serves good quality food.It also has a beautiful coffee shop that serves delicious cakes and hot chocolates

Room Tip: we had a room with glimpses of the river and pool it was comfortable and had a nice size bathroom...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear 1960_mum,

Thank you for your kind compliments. I am pleased to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us with special mention of our facilities and Food & Beverage offerings. I hope you had the opportunity to visit many tourist attractions in Singapore during your visit here and my team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Singapore
Reviewed 17 June 2014

It's my first staycation at this hotel and somehow or rather i used to think it seem rather run down. However, as we walked towards our room, it feels like a resort and gives a relaxing vibe.

Check in was a breeze and staff was polite and helpful. The connecting rooms make it convenient for our family. Plus point is that they provide complimentary TWG tea sachets and there are 20% discount for in house guess dining within the hotel.

Conveniently linked to Clark Quay MRT station, easy accessibility to most places in SIngapore!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PinkyPrincess
Dear PinkyPrincess,

Thank you for your kind review and compliments. I am truly heartened to hear that you and your family have enjoyed the convenience of our location, our amenities and our Swiss hospitality during your stay with us. Once again thank you for your commendations and my team and I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 June 2014

It was my birthday, and we had a staycation at this supposedly-top-hotel. The only thing that saved this rating from becoming terrible was the fact they automatically upgraded us to the executive floor. That was nice. Thank you.

Before I continue with this review, kindly allow me to clarify. Don't get us wrong. We are Swissotel fans. Previously, for our staycations, we stayed at Swissotel The Stamford. And we enjoyed the stay every time. We were shocked to find the Merchant Court so lacking in quality and standard.

The executive room was well furnished and equipped, but it was very small for an executive room. We have experienced many executive rooms, including the ones at Swissotel The Stamford. By comparison, this room was really small. And it was right next to the executive club lounge. We could always hear people going in and out of that area.

What resulted in this really poor review was what happened at night, when we were in bed and about to enter dreamland. We could hear the guests next door!!! They were laughing so loudly, and playing music really loud!

Sorry, Swissotel. As mentioned above, we do love Swissotel The Stamford. But Merchant Court ... nehhh.

Room Tip: If given the room (on the executive floor) next to the executive club lounge, quickly ask for a chan...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Timotheus_KLee,

Thank you for taking time to share your review. Please allow me to foremost thank you for your support of Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts which is truly appreciated. At the same time, I would like to extend my profound apologies for the disappointment caused during your stay with us which is filled with much regret in the areas that did not match up to your expectations. My team and I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again with the standards you and your partner have come to expect.

Vintrosa
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Why not make at small breakfast café with much lower price than todays so we don´t need to go over the street and have a normal breakfast at other places to reasonable prices? Very good that we could use the SPA to have a shower in the evening without any cost just before we go to the airport.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Tomas Carl Axel K,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that you and your friends enjoyed the convenience of our hotel’s location. We are pleased to share with you that we also have continental or à la carte breakfast available. My team and I look forward to welcoming you at Swissôtel Merchant Court soon.