“Great Location”

Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore
Ranked #37 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights back in April, myself, wife, 2 boys (4 & 18m) and in-laws. Overall it was a very positive stay which we enjoyed.

Location is great, with all the bars and restaurants of Clarke Quays on your door step, and only 15 min walk to Merlion Park and MBS area. Also a 10 min walk to Chinatown.
Great pool with slide that both myself and my 4 year old loved. Pool closes in a storm which was a pain as swimming in the rain is a great way to occupy a 4yo who had cabin fever, but I think this rule is pretty constant throughout Singapore with other hotels. Also well-equipped gym if you are keen for a holiday workout.

Rooms are not massive but have very high ceiling which helps. We stayed 2 interconnecting rooms on the same level as the pool, which had decent sized balconies overlooking one of the footbridges on the river, these were great for drying swimmers and towels.

Next door was a shopping centre where we had breakfast most mornings as unfortunately the SMC breakfast buffet was very expensive (discounted rate of $55sd pp from memory). However there are not many western options available in the shopping centre or the wider surrounding area as we searched high and low. Options available next door included Subway, a Swiss bakery and Burger King. So if you have young kids who are picky this can be an issue. In the basement of the shopping centre is a food court where I went for some cheap and tasty Nasi Lamek, in the end I was taking my boys down for some fried Bee Hoon (Fried Noodles) which were only $1sd to eat with the local, which was fun. Another option is head up to Chinatown for some more local dishes, we went to the Maxwell Hawker Centre for tasty and cheap local breakie.

Plenty of 711 options around and also a supermarket across the river under the Novotel.

Only issues we had were that to get to our room (285), we had to go down 10 stairs, which was silly to allocate to a young family with kids in prams, but wasn’t a massive problem. Also I was asked to leave the pool area rudely whilst reading a book, for eating a piece of fruit as it was not purchased from the Blue Potato restaurant by the pool. I explained to the staff member I was only sitting here to let my 18 month old son have his day sleep in peace in our room, but still had to leave. I made the SMC aware of both issues via a survey emailed to me after our stay, and to the SMC credit, Rainer Tenius (GM) emailed back stating he would ensure both issues would be rectified for future guests.

Last 3 tips
• Join the Swiss Circle Club prior to arriving for free in room WIFI
• Café Iguana and Brewerks which are nearly next door were great for a Mexican meal and a craft beer
• Shop around the bars for the happy hours, as drinking cheaply in Singapore can be down. My wife and I found this out on a night out we had

Would I stay here again??? Absolutely

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Wesweyman
SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Wesweyman,

Thank you for taking time to share your review. It is my pleasure to receive feedback on areas for improvements which will allow us to constantly monitor and review our standards and offerings. At the same time, I would like to take this opportunity to share that complimentary Internet access is now made available for all room categories, and is extended to all guests. Your sharing of the nearby eateries is definitely an insightful read for many first time travelers to Singapore and I am certain will be much appreciated. You may also be pleased to note that breakfast is offered at S$33++ per person at our award winning Ellenborough Market Café. Thank you once again for your feedback and support and my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family on your next visit to Singapore.

There are newer reviews for Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My family have been staying at the Merchant Court when visiting Singapore for years. We have been very loyal customers and appreciate the courteous staff, location and the nice pool. On this trip (July 14) we were offered an upgrade to a room with a river view and balcony. S$20+ per night. Unfortunately due to the growing 'bar scene' down at Clark Quay we were subjected to very loud music from numerous bars which now occupy this part of the city until 3am (and later) during all nights of our stay. This is despite double glazed windows. My advice for travellers is to request a room away from the river and especially if staying Thursday to Saturday nights. The upgrade to a river view room was definitely not worth the money. On departure I mentioned the noise to the staff when checking out. Little interest or empathy shown and my complaint was answered by 'Oh, and did you have anything from the minibar?'.

Room Tip: My advice to traveller's is to request a room away from the river and especially if staying Thur...
2  Thank Chris B

Dear Chris B,

Thank you for sharing your review on your recent stay with us. Your continuous support is much appreciated and my team and I are honoured to hear of the praises you and your family have of us all these years. I regret to note of the inconvenience the scene at Clarke Quay has brought to you. Please also allow me to extend my sincere apologies for the disappointment held upon your check out which due counseling has been given to the relevant team member on the importance of ensuring guest satisfaction at all times. Once again, thank you for sharing your comments with us and I look forward to welcoming you again soon and to provide you with an experience that you have always trusted us for.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The hotel is next to the MRT Station and next to Clarke quay. There are a lot of restaurants and bars near by. It is a very good central place to discover singapore.
The breakfast is very rich and everyone can find something to eat.
The hotel is of course very equipped for business travelers.

Room Tip: We were on the executive floor, the wifi, the snacks and drinks (alcohol and non alcoholic) in the l...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Vanessa J,

Thank you for your kind compliments. I am pleased to note that you and your partner had a pleasant time with us. My team and I are warmed by your commendations and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights on a stop over - we had an interconnecting room as we are a family of 4 and couldn't find many hotels that sleep 4 per room .....the hotel gave us the connecting room at 50% discount and even changed all the bed linen and bathroom accessories to to suit our young girls......even added toys and table and chairs for colouring in etc...!
The rooms were clean and tidy....comfortable beds..... the bathrooms also clean but showing signs of wear as were some of the corridors.The pool area and poolside bar were very good and also nice and clean.
The breakfast buffet, whilst good was very expensive @$30, this is my only one complaint ......we ate there once and then found a Swiss bakery in the small shopping center opposite (above MRT) which did nice coffee and simple but tasty breakfast treats at a fraction of the cost.
The staff were friendly and helpful and it was pain free at check in and check out.
We will no doubt return to the SMC and would definately eccommend it.........

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear TuckMe,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to learn that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and I am especially delighted to hear that your girls loved the set-up arranged for them. Once again, thank you for your compliments and support and my team and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm regards,
Rainer Tenius (“Uncle Rainer”)

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Excellent location in Singapore. Pool is long enough to do proper laps to do exercise. Buffet meal on a Friday evening is well worth doing. Superb selection of seafood and other local delicacies including Durian (King grade)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

Dear David A,

Thank you for your kind review and compliments. I am delighted to note that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the premium grade Mao Shan Wang Durians served during our ‘A Taste of Yesteryear’ promotion. My team and I look forward to welcoming you again at Swissôtel Merchant Court on your next visit to Singapore.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

its' service was really good.
lots of twg & coffee, and also chocolates!
locations is also perfect!

check in time, i got lots of help from the staff (about information of singapore).
if you want to go to clarke quay a lot, i strongly reccommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

Dear Youli K,

Thank you for your kind commendation. I am warmed to hear that you and your family had a pleasant stay with us and particularly enjoyed our Swiss hospitality. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again at Swissôtel Merchant Court in the near future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We arrived at the hotel at 7.00AM and our first available room was at 3.00PM. The Front Desk team observed that we were dead on our feet, and when they found out that we had been travelling for 12 hours they up graded us to a room with a balcony next to the pool. The staff team were friendly, polite and extremely professional. They made us feel as if we were Royalty. The room was quiet and could be made dark during the day. Room service was excellent. Breakfast is great, but there are many restaurants within five minutes asking distance. The Hotel is in the middle of all you need. China Town is about a ten minute walk, and there are many shopping centres around. Clarke Quay is next door with restaurants everywhere. The Jumbo restaurant is about a minute away and worth visiting, but you need to book in or have patience waiting for a table. (Try the chilli crab) You will enjoy the experience at the Swissotel. It was a wonderful way to finish our holidays.

Room Tip: If you are able, try a room with a balcony facing over the pool.
1  Thank Bruno B

Dear Bruno B,

Thank you for your kind review. I am truly delighted to hear of the many praises you have of the hotel, especially on our Swiss hospitality. Once again, thank you for your generous compliments and my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your partner again in the not too distant future.