Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights back in April, myself, wife, 2 boys (4 & 18m) and in-laws. Overall it was a very positive stay which we enjoyed.
Location is great, with all the bars and restaurants of Clarke Quays on your door step, and only 15 min walk to Merlion Park and MBS area. Also a 10 min walk to Chinatown.
Great pool with slide that both myself and my 4 year old loved. Pool closes in a storm which was a pain as swimming in the rain is a great way to occupy a 4yo who had cabin fever, but I think this rule is pretty constant throughout Singapore with other hotels. Also well-equipped gym if you are keen for a holiday workout.
Rooms are not massive but have very high ceiling which helps. We stayed 2 interconnecting rooms on the same level as the pool, which had decent sized balconies overlooking one of the footbridges on the river, these were great for drying swimmers and towels.
Next door was a shopping centre where we had breakfast most mornings as unfortunately the SMC breakfast buffet was very expensive (discounted rate of $55sd pp from memory). However there are not many western options available in the shopping centre or the wider surrounding area as we searched high and low. Options available next door included Subway, a Swiss bakery and Burger King. So if you have young kids who are picky this can be an issue. In the basement of the shopping centre is a food court where I went for some cheap and tasty Nasi Lamek, in the end I was taking my boys down for some fried Bee Hoon (Fried Noodles) which were only $1sd to eat with the local, which was fun. Another option is head up to Chinatown for some more local dishes, we went to the Maxwell Hawker Centre for tasty and cheap local breakie.
Plenty of 711 options around and also a supermarket across the river under the Novotel.
Only issues we had were that to get to our room (285), we had to go down 10 stairs, which was silly to allocate to a young family with kids in prams, but wasn’t a massive problem. Also I was asked to leave the pool area rudely whilst reading a book, for eating a piece of fruit as it was not purchased from the Blue Potato restaurant by the pool. I explained to the staff member I was only sitting here to let my 18 month old son have his day sleep in peace in our room, but still had to leave. I made the SMC aware of both issues via a survey emailed to me after our stay, and to the SMC credit, Rainer Tenius (GM) emailed back stating he would ensure both issues would be rectified for future guests.
Last 3 tips
• Join the Swiss Circle Club prior to arriving for free in room WIFI
• Café Iguana and Brewerks which are nearly next door were great for a Mexican meal and a craft beer
• Shop around the bars for the happy hours, as drinking cheaply in Singapore can be down. My wife and I found this out on a night out we had
Would I stay here again??? Absolutely
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Swissotel Merchant Court, Singapore offers the best of both worlds: a central-city location and resort-style ambience. The hotel is ideally located on the banks of the Singapore River, next to Clarke Quay Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station. Facilities including two award-winning restaurants, one contemporary bar, a resort-style swimming pool, 24-hour Fitness Centre and Purovel Spa & Sport, the region's first luxury Swiss spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fairmont Hotels, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swissotel Merchant Court Hotel Singapore
- Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore