“Excellant location but that's it”

Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore
Ranked #36 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Upon arrival, there was no queue but we had to wait probably around 30 minutes until the receptionist had checked us in (3 rooms). The rooms are dated (old fashioned). Though, the bath room is well maintained, the carpet in our room had stains. The free wifi was very slow so I upgraded to the "premium" package for SGD 10.-- per day which was a waste as the internet connection didn't improve at all. I ordered a Nasi Goreng with chicken and a Caesar Salad for dinner through the room service which took them 45 minutes to deliver, and not as promised 20 to 25 minutes. Then the Nasi Goreng had shrimps inside whereas I specifically ordered chicken. When I called again to follow up they apologised saying they were busy. The breakfast is good and has a huge variety of foods. The manager (sorry forgot his name) at the Ellenborough market cafe (breakfast area) was very friendly and helpful. Amit, the waiter, was also very attentive. If you travel with kids, please order a cold chocolate drink during breakfast, they are very tasty.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gobali999
SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear gobali999,

Thank you for taking time to share your review. I regret to note of the shortfall in experience on a number of occasions during your stay with us and would like to extend my sincere apologies for the disappointment caused. Your feedback is of importance and will assist us to constantly monitor and review our offerings and service quality. Nevertheless, I am glad to note that you enjoyed the convenience of our location, Food & Beverage offerings as well as the Swiss Hospitality extended by our team members at Ellenborough Market Café. Once again, thank you for your feedback and my team and I hope for another opportunity to extend the standards you have come to expect.

Rainer Tenius

Write a ReviewReviews (5,044)

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

A very pleasant business + pleasure stay. The rooms are set up for working with comfortable chair and desk, nespresso coffee machine etc. The pool was wonderful for relaxing next to and the food high quality.

On arrival front desk was disappointing. My wife had left instructions for them plus a key to give me, but despite handing them my passport with same name as my wife and me knowing the room number they didn't want to let me in. In the end they asked me for her phone number to call and check - the logic of it, I gave them the number!! Caution for security is one thing and appreciated but apply some logic and remember the instructions a guest gave you.

Singapore is probably one of the worst developed cities in the world for getting taxis, thankfully the helpful doormen are a step ahead and reserve you taxis before you realise you need them!

All in all a very pleasant hotel and will stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear nickansc,

Thank you for your kind review which I am delighted to note that you and your friends had a very pleasant stay with us during your recent trip to Singapore. I appreciate your feedback for improvements and thank you for your understanding on the extra caution taken by team members to verify guest information as part of our promise to ensure guests’ security at all times. Nevertheless, I am pleased to note that you have enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and amenities, as well as the use of Swimming Pool and the Food & Beverage offerings. Thank you once again for staying with us and my team and I look forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit to Singapore.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I've booked for King size bed, but I got twin single beds, on my second visit it took 2hr to getin to my room not 3pm what they have promissed for check in. the bathroom are not clean, and on my second visit they gave me on second level which was very noisy and I can hear every thing from outside..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Adrian S

Dear Adrian S,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback on the disappointment felt on your stay with us which is filled with much regret and that I would like to take this opportunity to extend my profound apologies for the inconvenience caused. Please have my assurance that the areas of concern have been duly noted and that my team and I will do our best to prevent such future occurrence and to assist wherever possible. I thank you for your kind patience with us and sincerely hope for another opportunity to welcome you again with the standards that you have come to expect.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay here. The staff were helpful and quick to deal with requests. We had breakfast in the hotel each morning and enjoyed the food and service. The children really liked their special kids room and loved cuddling the toys at bed time. The pool was a lovely temperature and the slide kept the kids amused.
I used the business centre to login and print boarding passes at no charge. I can also recommend the lobby shop for cold drinks, souvenirs and lots of other well priced items.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cadbury1

Dear Cadbury1,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to learn that you and your family had an enjoyable time during your stay with us and taken much liking in our Kids Room setup as well as our Swiss Hospitality, facilities, and Food & Beverage offerings. My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,
Rainer Tenius (“Uncle Rainer”)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We have just spent 5 days in this hotel. We had adjoining rooms both of which were very spacious, one with a balcony, free WiFi. The rooms were clean, with very comfortable pillows and beds. The pool was good, towels provided. Breakfast was much as you would expect, big selection, a few stocking issues at times, coffee was awful (Starbucks round the corner).

Hotel is located on Clarke Quay which comes alive at night with young revellers partying, although there was hardly any noise from this. China town is bustling and 5 mins away and the station with shopping complex is across the road. Raffles hotel area is 15 mins in cab.

We had the change rooms for a late check out, this room was much smaller than our others and we had to pay $50 to extend checkout, given what we had already paid with meals in addition irritated.

I experienced a few minor niggles with the hotel but would not hesitate in staying again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Swimmingbee

Dear Swimmingbee,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to hear that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us and were pleased with the comfort of our rooms, facilities, and location. At the same time, thank you for your kind understanding on the areas that did not match your expectations which is much appreciated. Once again, thank you for your commendations and my team and I look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

When checking in at 11pm the manager insisted that we opened another room, saying that it is a RULE in Singapore that a mximum of 3 people is allowed in 1 room. Not making much sense since my husband, me and our kids aged 9, 6 and 2.
The hotel did not allow an extra bed even though that should be enough for all of us.
In the end, we did open an extra room (I insisted that the rooms have to be connecting as my 9 & 6 y.o. could not be left by themselves throughout the night.

Aside from the late night bad argument, I have to say that the hotel has nice swimming pool and strategic location. Clarke Quay with its lively night activities is at the doorstep. MRT station (Clarke Quay) is around the corner, and it is only 1 station from Chinatown. The famous Song Fa bakut teh is right across the street.

I would come back to this hotel again but will be smarter during check in ^^

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Melina_J,

Thank you for your taking time to share your review. Please allow me to foremost apologise for the disappointment caused during check-in and thank you for your kind understanding on the restrictions on the maximum occupancy capped at three persons per room. Nonetheless, I am glad that you and your family had an overall pleasant stay with us. My team and I look forward for another opportunity to welcoming you and your family again when your next visit to Singapore.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I'm a first visit in singapore and I also stayed first time in swissotel.
I was very satisfied with fisrst experience in here.
All service was good, interier also good for me.
At this trip i didn't carry tooth brush & toothpaste, so i asked front desk about it.
They were willing to provide 2pieces of tooth brush & toothpaste.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts
SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Roy Kwanghyun P,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to learn that you had a great stay with us during your recent business trip to Singapore. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.