“Absolutely amazing staff, needs a bit of TLC however”

Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore
Ranked #38 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Reading, United Kingdom
“Absolutely amazing staff, needs a bit of TLC however”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

I think the staff are certainly what makes the hotel - I had nothing but really, really friendly and lovely people helping me the entire time.

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip for 5 nights and checked in after a 13 hour flight from the UK. I checked in really quickly and went straight to sleep - had no issues due to black out curtains and it was very quiet even though it was 8:30am.

The room is a really nice size and I had a King size, very comfy bed. The room also has a desk which I found very useful as was using my laptop a lot of the time - The Wifi is 'OK', it's not the fastest, however it did the trick.

Good things:
1. Clean room
2. Comfy bed
3. The Tea and coffee selection was brilliant
4. 2 Nice sized bathrobes
5. Complimentary water replenished every day

Things that need to be improved:
1. Grouting around edges is discoloured and doesn't look attractive
2. Black spots in bathroom
3. Cracked tiles in bathroom
4. My TV didn't seem to work - apparently it had a poor signal.

None of the things that need to be improved spoiled my trip - I didn't really have time to watch TV, however having it on in the background would have been nice... and if you're here to relax, I imagine you may want to use it at some point. Equally the 'look' of the bathroom wasn't a massive issue - the shower worked fine and I had toiletries etc... However I guess it's all about managing expectations,

I was working in the room when room service came - again, the staff were so polite and nice, it really made a difference.

I spent a lot of time in the lounge area, doing interviews and we were regularly asked if we wanted tea / coffee / food - nothing was too much trouble and when the bar was closed, one of the staff got another colleague to bring tea and coffee from the cafe area, which was situated at the other end of the lobby - Basically, nothing was too much trouble for them.

We tried breakfast at the hotel once - It was OK... My hot water and tea bag took longer to come than my colleagues coffee and they forgot my milk :-( The breakfast buffet seemed quite substantial and they had a lot of different varieties of fruit, which I really liked.

Good location for various things and plenty of taxis out the front which was good - I am planning on coming back soon and wouldn't have a problem using this hotel again for business, however if I was reccomending a hotel to someone coming to Singapore on a holiday, then I'd suggest perhaps weighing up the cost per night with some of the better rated hotels on Trip Advisor if you're looking for the 5 star experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Holly_82,

Thank you for your kind compliments and constructive feedbacks. I am truly honoured to note of the praises you have of our team members, comfort of our rooms, amenities as well as our location. At the same time, kindly accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in experience. Please be assured that your feedback will definitely be a constant reminder for my team and I to improve so as to ensure the highest level of service delivery at all times. Once again, thank you very much for your comments and your continuous support of Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts which is much appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Singapore.

Rainer Tenius

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Great location right next to clark key and the close to subway station. The Staff is very friendly and help full. the best is the pool the best view over Clark Key and a nice place to relax before going out for a night of fun. The Rooms are good size and well appointed. I was lucky to get a bigger room

Stayed July 2014
SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Magelan99,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to learn that you had a nice stay with us and enjoyed our location, Swiss Hospitality, comfort of our rooms as well as the facilities in place. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

madrid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

in front of clarke quay and one minute away from subway. incredibly quiet taking into acount its location. 10 minutes on foot to chinatown

swimmingpool area was very nice too.

comfortable and clean room. bathroom ok.

very helpful staff. front desk very efficient, same the concierge. wifi could be better, but not the slowest i have experienced.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor and for a swiming pool view room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear vamosahi,

Thank you for the kind review on your stay at Swissôtel Merchant Court. I am warmed by the praises you and your partner have of us including the compliments of our Swiss Hospitality. I hope you and your partner had a great time enjoying the many interesting sights around Singapore and my team and I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit soon.

North Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Flight was late so they gave our room to someone else and gave us single beds and they wouldn't give us another room until the next day. Would have preferred to stay in a cheaper hotel with a queen bed!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

Dear Tracy D,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on your recent stay with us. I would like to extend my apologies for the disappointment during check-in on the unavailability of your bed preference which I trust was resolved to your expectations the following day. I thank you for your kind understanding that preferences are subject to availability and would like to assure you that our team members will do their best to accommodate to guests’ requests wherever possible. Once again, thank you for sharing your review and I hope for another opportunity to welcome you and back again for an experience you have come to expect.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was our second trip to Singapore over 18 months. The location was beneficial for the abundance of Clarke Quay dining options but given we travelled far and wide during the day location was not so important to us. The hotel is definitely in need of some refurbishment as the rooms are very tired looking and cleanliness could be improved on. The room itself was quite small and lacked cupboard space. The Club Room lacked ambience and the food was served in what felt like a household kitchen. In comparison, we stayed at Swissotel Stamford last year and this was much better value all round.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Dayley1961,

Thank you for taking time to share your review which I am glad to note that you and your friends have enjoyed the convenience of our location. I would like to apologise for the disappointment felt on the room and Food & Beverage quality which is held with much regret. Your feedback is of importance and will assist us to constantly monitor and review our offerings. Once again, thank you for your feedback and my team and I hope for another opportunity to extend the standards you have come to expect.

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Pros:
1) Great Location - It's right in the middle of Clarke Quay, meaning, nice restaurants, pubs, tourist attraction (boat ride), and general amenity is close by. Also 2-3 streets away from China Town and the MRT station is just across the hotel entrance.

2) Great Breakfast - First of all, there are plenty of tables so you don't have to worry about having to queue up for a table first thing in the morning. Then there are plenty of choices, from western continentals to local asian options like fried noodles, rice, dim sum. There's also 2 dedicated egg stations so you can order your eggs how you like it.

3) Staff - They are friendly and helpful and most importantly they are polite and genuine. Had trouble dealing with them over the phones, but when you seek their assistance via face to face, they are alright.

4) Pool - Amazingly big outdoor swimming pool for a city central hotel. Good for cooling down from the hot and humid Singapore weather, there's also the kids pool which was great for my son.

5) Free WiFi - Very handy but not sure if it's free for all, but it was included in mine

Cons:
1) Bookings - I had some troubles when I checked in. I booked and paid for my room of 6 nights way in advanced. I booked a King sized bedroom, and upon checking in at 8pm (I was tired from a whole day's of work), and I was told by the lady at the front desk that they are quite booked out, and that she needs to "speak to her manager" to get me a room with king size bed.

Are they kidding me? They had to seek approval from their manager to give me a room I had booked and paid in advance? I finally got my room but the whole check in process took a good 15-20 mins, totally unacceptable.

2) Rooms - After all the issue with my bookings, I was put into a room which no human could literally sleep in. The room was fine, but the air conditioning vent inside the wardrobe was rattling like crazy. Who could possibly sleep in it?

At this time I was furious, I felt like I've been completely robbed that I've paid a significant amount of money for a 6 nights stay and they couldn't find my room, so they put me in this crappy room with rattling vents just to give me my King size bed.

I called their service line, and said I need a room change because of the vents issues, and they told me to speak to front desk, so they put me through and I waited for 5 mins and someone picked up and hang up on me straight away (cause I could hear someone picking up and talking in the background before hanging up).

I walked down to front desk, spoke to another lady and again, she acknowledge the need to get me a replacement room and again told me to wait so she can speak to her manager. So they got me another room, but I had to move my own stuff, no one offered to move for me after all the inconveniences.

The room had no view (literally was overlooking another building's windows). The air-cond vents was not rattling but something else was rattling inside the bathroom and just behind the entrance door! At least we couldn't hear it from our bed but once you know it's there it gets pretty annoying!

There were also some molds in the sink, not visible from top, but the reflection on the mirror shows it all.

3) Decor - Looks a bit dated, carpets and wallpaper needs some upgrades cause at the moment, it looks old and dark.

4) WiFi - Login procedure is tedious, it provides option to login with Last Name and Room number but didn't work, but only works when I used my Last Name and Swissotel membership no. The timeout is also a bit clunky, I don't mind if it timesout but do make it easy for users to know it's timed out and to immediately prompt for re-logging in. Instead, you get this perfect WiFi connection signal but no internet, after a few juggling with web browsing, only then it prompts for the login again.

Summary:
Honestly, if I put the issues with my rooms aside, I would have rated this hotel "Very Good" or "Excellent" because of all the Pros above. However, I cannot ignore the fact that I had issues with my check in and rooms.

And to be completely fair, I am a Eleva member of the Swissotel Circle club (on the way to Zenit), and every time I stayed at Swissotel in Sydney, I get very well looked after, no such incident would have occurred.

So to have a completely opposite of a Swissotel experience in Singapore (where Service accounts for 80% of the economy) took me by surprise, I would have expected to be upgraded to a better room after the first one.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank edgarchieng
Dear edgarchieng,

Thank you for taking your time to share your constructive feedback with us on your recent visit which is indeed very insightful. I am pleased to note of the many positive areas which you and your family have enjoyed, including our location, breakfast selection, Swiss Hospitality, facilities as well as the complimentary Internet access. At the same time, kindly accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in experience on the occasions which has regrettably occurred. Please be assured that your feedback will definitely be a constant reminder for my team and I to improve so as to ensure the highest level of service delivery at all times. Once again, thank you very much for your comments and your continuous support of Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts which is much appreciated. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again with the standards you have come to expect.