“Wobbly start quickly resolved; an excellent stay!”
Review of Fairmont Singapore

Fairmont Singapore
Ranked #16 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
London, United Kingdom
“Wobbly start quickly resolved; an excellent stay!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Having booked a Deluxe room I was delighted on check-in to be assigned a complimentary upgrade to an Executive room.... until I reached my room (South Tower, 19th floor), that is, and was immediately aware of continous banging/tapping. I waited 10 minutes, hoping it was a temporary situation that would cease, but it didn't. Turns out sections of the hotel are currently undergoing renovation work. Although the noise wasn't 'loud' as such, it certainly wasn't something I'd signed up for (I can't recall seeing any reference/warning to it on the website when I made my non-refundable booking a couple of weeks ago?) or something I wanted to endure. So, what had initially seemed like a bonus - the upgrade - quickly felt like a swizz. :-(

I returned to the busy Reception Desk and waited for someone to become free. Luckily for me, I was called over by an enthusiastic member of staff who turned out to be the Assistant Manager. I was very impressed with how he dealt with the situation. He immediately showed sincere understanding and empathy for how I was feeling (i.e. irritated and disappointed, as well as tired after my flight) and he set about resolving the situation. Within 15 minutes I had been moved to another very spacious Premier room in the North Tower on the 9th floor overlooking Raffles Hotel. Dual aspect windows gave great views over the city.

The room was equipped with a electronic control box which operates the curtains and lights. The unit itself looks a bit tacky, to be frank, but it's not difficult to work out how to use it. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, and there were plenty of towels and toiletries. I had a slight issue with my air conditioning but the hotel very quickly sent an engineer up to investigate, and also provided a freestanding fan as back-up.

Breakfast was very good. There's the usual wide selection of hot dishes (Western and Asian) and cold items which you can expect from any high standard, international 5 star hotel in Singapore. The best thing for me though, which gave it the edge, was the Smoothie/Juice Bar: there were at least 8 different pre-mixed combinations; my favourite was a spinach, grape, cucumber and apple combo, which was delicious!

The location of the hotel is stupendous. It's in a wonderful position with easy walking to numerous interesting sights. It's also connected to the City Hall MRT station, which is on the same line as Changi Airport. I paid SGD $2.20 to get all the way from the airport to the hotel on the train, changing just once at Tanah Merah - which is literally a walk across the platform; couldn't be easier. Feel free to pay 10 times that for a taxi if you want to, of course....!

Also connected to the City Hall MRT station is a large shopping mall (Raffles City) where there are numerous popular lunch time food court options and a supermarket.

Although the Fairmont has plenty of competition - including Swisshotel, which is right next to it - I would definitely consider staying again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
RC-Hotels-Pte-Ltd, Hotel Manager at Fairmont Singapore, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Wanderever,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback with us.

Fairmont Singapore is currently in the midst of a revitalisation project that seeks to showcase newly renovated rooms and a refreshed new lobby, to provide an improved stay experience that is authentically local for all our guests.

We have noted on your recent stay experience, and are delighted to hear that our service team was able to showcase exemplary service in promptly finding an alternative room for your enjoyment. Sincerity is a key value that our service colleagues hold with high regard, and we are more than happy to discover that key values such as these were clearly displayed. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay experience in our brand new Fairmont Premier Room, located in the North Tower, and that the wide selection of breakfast highlights were to your liking.

Convenience is a key factor for a lot of our guests and we hope that you were also able to explore the various places of interests in the vicinity of the hotel during your stay with us.

Thank you once again for your kind comments, which will no doubt serve as encouragement for me and my team to continue striving to do our best in offering our guests the best we can.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Singapore in the near future.

Warm regards,
Carlos Monterde
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,146)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Once again, I'm back at Fairmount. I stayed here last year Sep and service was impeccable! Well, they didn't disappoint me this time round, though there was a slight mis-comm on the room category that I've booked, the front desk officer was kind enough to give me a complimentary upgrade, this is what I call "service recovery". A small touch that goes a long way!

Love the gym! They have all the equipment you need so every service staff were full of smiles, they greet you at every point which is smthg I've always thought is missing in a Singapore Hotel.

The only thing that I may be alittle grouchy about would be the parking, they do not provide complimentary parking in the hotel ( $30 for overnight valet parking ), which I think can be offered as complimentary...they could have bundled into the night's stay cost and we as customer wouldn't realize as well. This is marketing my dear Fairmount! Even though perhaps raffles city charges your hotel for it, you can always negotiate a special fee...sigh.

Nevertheless, good quality room and service's a thumb's up!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gohszeying
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I just came back from a week in Singapore that I spent in the Fairmont Hotel in Singapore. The name and the reputation of "Fairmont" was the main reason why I got this hotel, I don't think Fairmont Singapore does live up to the reputation.

What I like
- central Location
- the amenities of a 4-star Hotel
- Fitness room

What I didn't like too much
- most of the rooms are "outdated". I was lucky enough to get one of the remodeled deluxe rooms, the "regular deluxe rooms" shouldn't be considered deluxe
- the opening hours of the Business centre are limited, if you want to go print out a boarding pass, they charge you for computer use and for printout-paper extra
- WiFi is not included (hint: become a president's Club member for free, then you have the WiFi complimentary)
- the view of my room was limited by an office building in front of my window
- I was on the 20th floor, but street noise and the renovation crew in the garden can be perfectly heard

All in all: the hotel is "ok", but not more. It wouldn't be my prime choice on a next Singapore trip.

Room Tip: Insist on a remodeled room, ask "for a view".
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Jennifer and her staff on the executive floor gave us exceptional service during our stay. We were upgraded to one of the large corner rooms in the newly renovated north tower and everything was faultless.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Whangarei
Reviewed 17 April 2014

A little more expensive but the experience makes it excellent value. Friendliness, smiles and helpfulness create a great atmosphere Inspired service over three days- early check in, late check out and use of facilities after check out, great restaurant recommendations. Rooms large, with a balcony, great bathroom, very comfortable bed and all the extras.
Well located just around the corner from Raffles. Excellent shopping within hotel complex. multiple restaurants.

Only sour note was Prego Italian restaurant in hotel complex. We dined at this restaurant and had great meals ten years ago but sadly this time food was very disappointing.

Room Tip: Fifteen floor, north facing with a view was great value
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2014

First time in Singapore - attending a July wedding at the Raffles Hotel. Got a great price for 5 nights of C$212 per night through Expedia (paid in advance). showed my (free) President's Club card at check-in and was upgraded to a junior suite (rack rate of C$500 per night). So I'm loving it so far. Restaurant prices in the hotel were a shock - similar to London city prices. However, lots of choice through the attached underground mall - so food cost is controllable. Great casual German restaurant "Brotzeit" in the same block. In terms of location, it is perfect. Walkable north to the Orchard Rd shopping, south to the Marina Bay attractions, east to the Arab S. and Hadji Lane shopping, and west to Chinatown. But be sure to walk in the early morning and late afternoon - it is HOT.

Room Tip: Check-in with your Persident's Club card - you might get an upgrade.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 17 April 2014

i was initially a bit apprehensive staying at the Fairmont Singapore due to the several negative reviews in regards to the on going renovations at the hotel. However am happy to report that we had absolutely no such inconvenience. We stayed at a Fairmont Executive Club room for 3 nights and have nothing but the best to say about it. We were allowed an early check-in at 9.30am even though the actual check-in time was 2.00pm, even at Check-out we were allowed to use the room until 3.00pm and the rest of the hotel facilities (spa and executive lounge until we left for the flight at 6.30pm).
The executive club room is definitely worth the extra charge for it, in addition to a fantastic spread in the evenings, you also get an amazing view of Singapore from the rooms. We requested a room overlooking the Marina Bay and were taken aback by the amazing views in the mornings and evenings. The beds were very comfortable and spacious, the pillows in particular are worth mentioning. We had a few amazing nights sleep!
The bathroom at first were a little daunting, stark white with an interesting open rain shower and a bath tub next to it. However after the initial surprise, its actually very nice, the rain-shower in particular was amazing. Bath-times ended up taking a lot longer than it should!!

In terms of Breakfast, the buffet at Prego is pretty extensive in terms of local and international delicacies.
Another additional advantage of staying at the Hotel is the easy access to almost anywhere, via the underground network or the MRT, which is directly under the hotel. The number of shopping and dining options surrounding the hotel are amazing, and Orchard street is just three stops away by rail or a brisk 20-25 minute walk.
Finally in terms of hospitality,everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. Always taking that extra step to make us feel at home.
All-in-all a very good experience and one which we will be looking forward to repeating on our next visit to Singapore.

Room Tip: Executive Club Floor, overlooking the Marina Bay.. You cant go wrong! Make sure to explore the city...