“Excellent Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

Beautiful rooms, excellent service, attentive and friendly staff, and an amazing location. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,108)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
bandon, county cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

A superb location directly opposite Raffles and very centrally located for shops etc. I had a room on 21st floor directly overlooking Raffles – a view to die for so make sure if you choose to stay here, you request a room high up overlooking the city/raffles etc and not the pool which is not quite as stunning.(Specify smoking or non smoking). The room has everything you could want. If you sign up for the Presidency Club when you book your accommodation,you receive a free newspaper each morning plus free internet access in your room. The bathroom facilities are luxurious – a marble surround bath with overhead shower with a huge shower head. The room itself is well layed out. Plenty of space and a wonderful glass topped desk to work at. The fridge was very well stocked. Air conditioning is set low so it's slighly on the chilly side.

The outdoor pool is wonderful especially at 9pm when absolutely nobody is about. It’s crowded during the daytime. Perhaps a good spot for breakfast but I didn't check this. The Willow Stream Spa is out of this world even if you are only interested in a sauna, steam and Jacuzzi rather than an area of treatments.

A tip – If you arrive in the evening jet lagged from a long flight, go to floor 6, head for the pool (through the Spa area) to start with and then take a spa, sauna and Jacuzzi. You will think you are in heaven – perfect to make you feel re-invigorated.

On my first evening I only wanted a snack so checked through the hotel blurb (I would say’a list of suggestions’ rather than ‘recommendations’) in the room and headed for Kopi Tiam in Raffles City shopping centre – This was a mistake. My chicken curry was tasteless and the atmosphere terrible – a bit like eating in a canteen. In hindsight, I should have ordered room service. The concierge did suggest Prego so perhaps that might have been a better idea – Prego is part of Fairmont but Kopi Tiam is in the Mall.

If a snack breakfast is all you need, head for An Teng Bakery at Raffles. I had tea and a Chelsea bun which was mouthwateringly full of nuts, raisins etc. A real treat and wonderful surroundings.

The Szechuan Court and Kitchen restaurant in the hotel is worth a visit for dinner. Keep in mind that Szechuan dishes can be very spicey – that suited me but not somebody at the next table. Fish dishes seem to be their speciality though I had a very tastey and simple duck dish. The portions are large. I chose the mango dish from the dessert menu as so many of the dessert dishes contained chilli, snow fungus etc which I wasn’t adventurous enough to try. The mango mousse was very refreshing and well prepared.

The hotel is so easy to get to.I took the air bus directly to the hotel which cost Sing 9. I returned to the airport on the metro from City Hall which was also very convenient – sing 2.90. The Raffles City Mall complex links the Fairmount to the City Hall metro so you don’t even need to walk outside.

The Swissotel is directly next to the Fairmont. I didn’t take the trip up to the 70th floor of the Equinox in the Swissotel as the view from my own room was stunning itself.

I booked this hotel on line and I felt that the price I got was excellent value for money. This hotel merits its 5 stars.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Silicon Valley, Ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

We loved the location of the hotel, atop the Raffles City Shopping Center and the City Hall MRT station.

We had a great price by booking a package through a travel agent. However, our travel agent did not specify a non-smoking room and we were first assigned to a smoking room. The disturbing part is that the ashtray in the room had 2 cigarette butts in it.

We were moved to a non-smoking room 5 floors up, overlooking Raffles Hotel. The room was satisfactory but had a slightly musty smell. The hotel is not very new but our room had been satisfactorily upgraded.

Because of the service error, we were comped with buffet breakfast for both days in the ground floor restaurant. The breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

We stayed at The Fairmont Singapore over New Year and had a brilliant view of the fireworks from the pool terrace. We were impressed with both the quality of service and amenities. The bed and pillows were unbelievably comfortable, so much so we’re looking into where we can buy similar bedding from. All of the staff we encountered were very accommodating and the turn down service was a nice touch. The spa area was lovely and we were disappointed we only discovered it on our last night. The location is great as we were able to walk to most places. Our only small criticisms would be that wifi was limited to the lobby area and the air conditioning in our room was ice cold, even when turned up as warm as it would go. I’m sure we could have called upon someone to fix it but we just turned it off completely. Despite the small blips, Fairmont is a quality hotel and we look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Che_Bruno
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

The Fairmont isn't cheap, but a good online deal convinced me to book one room for myself and my partner, and another for a couple of relatives. We all agreed it was a good choice for a week's stay in Singapore.
The rooms are nice and big, each with its own little balcony affording (in our case) a view of Raffles Hotel from the 6th floor. I would have liked something a little higher, but it was fine. The location, next to Raffles City shopping mall and City Hall MRT station (not to mention right across from the aforementioned must-see tourist trap) was superb. It was also on the hop-on, hop-off tourist bus route, which came in handy.
The pool area was nice and we used it a fair bit. Our bathroom sink could have been cleaned better, but the disposable (read : free) slippers were a nice touch. The service was pleasant and helpful; when I checked out and explained that the second in-house movie I had tried to watch hadn't worked, they cancelled the charge without a second thought.
If you can get a decent deal on the room rate, I'd recommend this as a good sightseeing base.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StarshipVoyager
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

We stayed at the Fairmont for only 1 night on our way over to the Netherlands just after Christmas ( December 27 - 28 ) and the hotel is amazing !. This was our second stay at the hotel in 2 years and again was a wonderful experience. We had an inter-connecting room and both rooms were large , well set up and have no end of amenities. The view is fantastic and the thing we love about the hotel is the doors open to a small balcony so you can get fresh air. The location is perfect for all aspects of shopping and restaurants . Cafe Swiss in the Swissotel The Stamford is THE BEST PLACE FOR BREAKFAST .. so if you're going to to Singapore don't go past the Fairmont .

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank currieinc
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

I've stayed at the Fairmont before, but waited till my second trip to review it. It was excellent both times. It is well situated for shopping, business or night life. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I've always had rooms looking south to the harbour and the view is great - day and night. The choice of restaurants is varied and good and there are other good restaurants and bars in Chijmes - just over the road. Raffles Hotel is next door as well. As an example of the service, I wanted to take flowers to a friends house and asked for a florist at the concierge's desk. Rather than telling me where to go, he took me into the adjacent shopping mall and showed me the florist - great service. This hotel is great for short or long stays. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business