“Maintaining the Standards”

Raffles Hotel Singapore
Ranked #4 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I recently enjoyed our 3rd stay in Raffles Singapore. We are currently stationed in Manila and felt in need of a few days away from it all. Delighted to say that the the standards and attention have been maintained at a wonderful level.
As a small example of the lengths that the staff will go to accommodate, on our first morning at breakfast my wife asked if they had kalamansi juice as we have developed a liking for this whilst in the Philippines. The senior waitress, a filipino, apologised and said no but would see if they could get some for the following morning. At breakfast the following morning we were greeted with a couple of glasses of freshly squeezed kalamansi juice. On further questioning it turned out the the senior waitress had got up early that morning and had herself bought fresh kalamansi from a local market at 05:00 in the morning before coming to work.
The room was a delight, we stayed in the Ava Gardner suite which was very quiet and delivered everything that we were looking for in a stylish getaway.
We will be returning.
There was some low level construction noise going on close to the hotel but the location of the room ensured that this was not intrusive.

1  Thank BPearce_UK
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear BPearce UK,

Thank you for choosing to return to stay at Raffles Singapore and for your generous review.

I am pleased that you found your room to be a delight and that it was able to deliver everything required for your stylish getaway. At Raffles Singapore, we always strive to consistently deliver excellent levels of service. Reading of the example set by one of our senior waitresses brought a smile to my face and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to her in particular. We very much look forward to welcoming you back again – fresh kalamansi juice at the ready.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

What a magnificent privilege to drink there and eat in one of a myriad of rooms at this world famous place. Surprised to discover this virtually inscathed colonial hotel in the middle of a sultry skyscraper city. Expensive? Yes! Was it good? Yes! The souvenirs are also great to show off when you get home.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Simplesouls,

Thank you for your thoughtful review of Raffles Singapore.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. We are honoured to be caretakers of such a long-standing part of the city’s heritage and so I was particularly pleased that you found the colonial atmosphere of the hotel, set within the wider contemporary area, notable. I am also glad to hear that you were able to bring home a few mementos too and will share your kind comments with the rest of the team. I hope we will be able to welcome you back for a longer stay in the future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

A dictionary will use the words "affording a generous welcome to strangers". This is "Raffles". Yes an old world hotel with a 100 plus year history but today a leader in the modern world of "hospitality". That integrates a great British colonial tradition tradition with a modern Asia Pacific look with an unassuming style and panache.

From the doorman ( an appropriately dressed Sikh gentleman) who greats you as a long standing friend of Raffles to the reception staff with faces that reflect a modern dynamic Asia Pacific.

Four great restaurants from outside Mediterranean dinning to the sophisticated writers room and our favourite the "long bar steakhouse" with its great menu and excellent wines but what really makes it is the staff. They listen and treat you as an individual not a table number addressing you by name and whats more they remember you if you come again!

Breakfast makes or breaks a hotel . Raffles offers a delightful experience of fresh foods in a delightful setting with tentative but unobtrusive staff. Not to mention the great room service!

Looking for a real hospitality experience and not just another 5 star plastic experience go Raffles. You will be surprised with the company that you keep!

This was our second visit!

Enjoy!

1  Thank 709anne

Dear 709anne,

Thank you for posting such a charming review of Raffles Singapore.

It is always great to receive feedback from our guests, particularly from those who have returned to visit us again. Our team strives to consistently deliver Raffles’ legendary levels of hospitality and as such I was delighted that you found this to be the most memorable part of your visit. I am glad that all of the team (from the reception staff to the waiting staff, the butlers to the doormen) welcomed you in a pleasingly personal manner and will be sure to pass on your brilliant feedback to them all. Providing a variety of high-quality cuisine is another of our key aims and I am thrilled that you were able to enjoy all of the varied dining experiences here. As you know, we have been an iconic part of Singapore for over 125 years and to know that our guests appreciate our continued fusion of British and Asian traditions is most gratifying. I very much hope you will return again to enjoy Raffles’ standout hospitality.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I've just spent two nights in what is still one of the best hotels in the world. The stay was essentially a pit stop on the way to Australia and it succeeded in just about every respect. The place exudes a sense of history from the impeccable furnishings to staff who are amongst the best hotel employees in the world.

I only have two minor gripes. The televisions are old style CRT systems and the reception isn't great. Secondly I planned to mostly stay in the hotel doing a little work and getting over jet lag. I had planned to eat in the hotel restaurants. On Friday night the steak house had a very expensive wine pairing evening and wouldn't serve their a la carte menu. On Saturday most of the restaurants were closed for private events and even the Long Bar wasn't serving food. Not a big deal but when you're paying top dollar you'd expect to be able to access the hotel's facilities.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear seminole364

Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel, setting and our colleagues met your expectations.

We did have a Wine Dinner at Long Bar Steakhouse on that Friday night, which is a special dinner organised to allow our guests different experiences and to showcase various wineries throughout the year. I do accept your personal view of the Wine Dinner, which was priced at S$188 and included a four course set dinner paired with four exclusive wines. In Singapore this would generally be felt to be good value if not a high quality experience. We also acknowledge that a large private event occupied the Courtyard and Steakhouse on Saturday and one other restaurant was booked privately on the same one evening which is a rare event.

Five other restaurants in the property were also available that evening and I regret to hear that you were not aware of these options.

We hope that you may have the chance to return again soon and recommend our distinctive North Indian Curry Buffet at Tiffin Room, the superb steaks and seafood at Long Bar Steakhouse or the fine contemporary French cuisine at Raffles Grill.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Raffles was the last stop on my trip from Hong Kong, through Viet Nam ending in Singapore. I was on a Tauck tour and the hotel chosen by them was the Marina Bay Sands. After reading the reviews, I decided to stay at Raffles and absorb the difference in price. I was thrilled with my choice. I loved every moment of my stay at Raffles. The property is fantastic and the entire staff went above and beyond to make my stay memorable. Bravo to everyone. ( Added note, Tauck credited me for other hotel, they too are a classy operation.)

Room Tip: I stayed in a garden suite and it was great. Plenty of room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pamibowen

Dear Pamibowen,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Raffles Singapore during your Tauck tour. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed every moment of your stay, and was particularly pleased that you felt the staff went above and beyond their duties. We always strive to offer an oasis for the well-travelled, and so I delighted that our team were able to create this for you. I will of course share your kind words with everyone here and hope we will be able to welcome you back for another stay soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

What a wonderful atmosphere! The moment you walk into the hotel you are transported to a magical period where opulence and grace adorned every corner. Despite the tired appearance of the room and the seriously dated bathroom and fittings, we still had a wonderful stay at Raffles. The staff were all amazing! But I have to mention the wonderful Nana fron reception who was always most helpful with her lovely smile and a wealth of local knowledge. Certainly worth a visit, if only to experience the exceptional Raffles hospitality.

Room Tip: Don't miss The Long Bar and The grill!

Dear Lena A,

Thank you for your generous review of Raffles Singapore. I was delighted to read that you feel the hotel is still epitomised by opulence and grace, even after 125 years as an iconic part of Singapore’s history. We always strive to offer an exceptional level of service, always anticipating the needs of our guests to offer a haven for the well-travelled. As such, your endorsement of our team’s efforts is hugely appreciated. I will pass on your kind comments to all of the team here – and to Nana in particular and very much hope you will return again to enjoy a stay, a sling in the Long Bar and perhaps another delicious meal in Raffles Grill.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3nights for our 3rd anniversary , expensive but worth the money , impeccable service , great colonial feel , our room was large and beautfully furnished , the staff proffessional and very helpful . The location is great , near the underground , easy to get to shopping and restaurants .

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear momozn3,

Thank you for choosing to spend your third anniversary with us here at Raffles Singapore. I am delighted that you found the service impeccable as one of our key goals at Raffles is to create an oasis for the well-travelled, with an excellent level of service. I was equally thrilled to read that you found the staff professional and helpful and will be sure to share your positive feedback with them. All of the team here work hard to maintain this iconic part of Singapore’s history – as such it was also wonderful to learn that you enjoyed the iconic feel of the hotel in addition to the fantastic location and comfort of your suite. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to celebrate another anniversary in the future.