“Wonderful experience”

Raffles Hotel Singapore
Ranked #4 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We started our holiday with a three night stay at Raffles. We had been looking forward to staying there since we made our booking, and we were not disappointed. Our suite was in the original building and although it was close to the road, we were not disturbed by the noise. My husband's ambition was to have a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar, which he enjoyed each evening! My ambition was to have afternoon tea in the Tiffin Room, which was excellent. All the staff looked after us superbly - nothing was too much trouble. We were sad to leave, but hope to return again in the not-too-distant future.

3  Thank SG3560
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear SG3560,

Thank you for posting such a delightful review of Raffles Singapore. It brought a smile to my face to learn that you and your husband were able to fulfil your ambitions of having a Singapore Sling and afternoon tea in the Tiffin Room - and that these did not disappoint. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the staff. We too hope you will return again soon – and will be awaiting you in the Long Bar and Tiffin Room!

There are newer reviews for Raffles Hotel Singapore

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Want a smoked glass, chrome, flashy, hi-tech hotel. Not this one. Want an hotel with service? Genuine, great, unobtrusive service? Then you've found it.
What makes Raffles, Singapore, stand out is the highest level of service. Not just high but the best I have found, anywhere.
The staff are always present, but not intrusive, always helpful, remember your name and can't do enough for you.
The hotel itself is just as you would imagine it, stuffed full of character. Solid wood floors, polished to within an inch of their lives, real wood separate wardrobe, dresser, cabinet. Not all in one, pre-fabricated ones in other 5 star hotels. Just class. All with that lived in look that gives the whole hotel character. One can imagine it as it originally was, 100 years ago.
Whilst there, you have to try the Singapore Sling in the Long Bar. Throw your (free) peanut shells on the floor. Try the other beers.
Then when you want a special meal, go to the Long Bar Grill. Fantastic!
Sit outside for lunch or dinner and listen to the music. Go inside and have Tiffin (afternoon tea) listening to a harp - not a recording, a genuine harpist playing very well.
Sit and wait for a while in the lobby and check the Grand-Father clock. Numerous places to sit outside, just to watch the world go past. Listen to the birds singing - singing birds in the middle of Singapore! Can't think where else you would find that.
This was my second trip here and I will be back as soon as possible.
This is the one and only place to stay in Singapore and you have to stay here at least once. Just to say that you stayed at Raffles. Then take the memories away with you. Well worth it.
(Photos published on previous review)

Room Tip: They are all suites. Pick any, they are all good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nigel W

Dear Nigel W,

Thank you for your charming review of Raffles Singapore – most particularly for describing the hotel as ‘the one and only place to stay in Singapore’. True praise indeed and hugely appreciated. I am also thrilled with you found the staff here consistently present yet always unobtrusive. We also believe in the importance of ‘little touches’ – from the furnishings of the suites to the traditions in the Long Bar – and am glad you enjoyed these. I will be sure to share your lovely feedback with the rest of the team here (harpist included) and look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

As the raffles hotel is very famous, we wanted to stay here. We booked two nights and have received an upgrade to a palm court suite. The suite is huge, very nice atmosphere. I personally prefer more modern rooms with a nice view. From the suites, you have no specific view, they are rather dark. Breakfast however is very good. The hotel has a pool on 2nd floor, nothing spectacular. Also a bit old fashioned. However, during both days, the weather was not fantastic, therefor, our impression is not fully neutral. There is also a small gym on the 2nd floor, but not very spectacular. When 3 people are working out, it is full. My impression was though, that the clientele of the raffles are not paying attention to a good gym. We enjoyed two afternoon teas during our stay and these were excellent. In general, a big compliment to the staff. Always friendly and competent. All in all a nice stay, but I felt a bit like staying in an ancient castle. It was nice for once, but matching my personal expectations, some renewals at the pool, new flat screen tv in the rooms , etc would be necessary

Room Tip: Book a palmcourt suite, if possible on 1st floor. The other suites are further away from main buildi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Henry S,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am glad you enjoyed the service, the atmosphere and the breakfast during your recent stay with us.

We do understand your concern regarding the limited light source coming into the suites but the building is representative of the style in 1889 and there are suites with different outlooks depending on location. However, all suites have verandahs from which to enjoy the open courtyards and lush gardens.

The rooftop swimming pool is a popular feature of the hotel and is enjoyed by many during our frequent fine spells of weather. The gym complements the spa to offer a holistic experience for our residents. Please rest assured that we are also looking into renewing our TV facilities and we have shared your comments with the relevant departments concerned for further improvements.

Thank you once again for your sharing with us your feedback.

Simon Hirst,

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights en-route to Lombok - slightly jaded but what it lacks in hi tech it makes up for in service and charm . Great location - large suites and excellent service. Ask for a courtyard suite to
The right facing the main
Entrance - very quiet and calm here.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear veritas5,

Thank you for your kind comments and for choosing to stay at Raffles Singapore on your way to Lombok. I agree that ‘service and charm’ are pre-requisites for a happy stay in any hotel, so I am glad to read that these were the two things that stood out most for you while you were here. Everyone here aims to make guests feel welcomed in a most luxurious way and I am glad that your room, the location and service all contributed to this. I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the team and hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We had a 3 night stay at this hotel before joining a Silversea cruise ship. We were travelling with our daughter and grandchildren (all adults). My daughter and grandchildren were upgraded to a lovely 2 bedroom suite with a balcony that ran the length of the suite and we also had a lovely room with balcony in the original part of the building. The bar was quiet and lacked a bit of atmosphere but the service was excellent and you have to have a Singapore Sling don't you?
The hotel always exuded tranquility and calm and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have a peaceful time whilst in Singapore. It is in complete contrast to the bustle and modern face of Singapore in all of the Malls.

Room Tip: we prefer the original rooms in the main hotel. ask for a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Joyce n,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Raffles Singapore. The hotel and its gardens have always been a serene sanctuary in the city. I hope that you will return to Raffles Singapore very soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I've walked past the Raffles often and like most had a Singapore Slings at the Long bar while staying at other hotels in town. But, after spending a weekend at the hotel I regret ever booking any other place in Singapore. Walking in, you are met with colonial grandeur not seen by the many tourist cameras outside. If you are going to take the trouble to travel to Singapore, at least try to stay here for a few nights too!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Dear Deanerasmus,

Thank you for your generous review of Raffles Singapore and for praising the hotel so highly. I am delighted that Raffles Singapore did not disappoint. We aim to provide a haven for the well-travelled and I was delighted that you enjoyed our peaceful gardens and interiors. I will be sure to share your thoughtful feedback with the staff and hope we will be able to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Indulged in 3 nights here en route to Vietnam as a birthday treat. We have a weakness for these 'relics of empire' scattered around the world and totally bought into the myth for our few days. Our room was I think one of the newer suites overlooking an inner courtyard, and was roomy and very comfortable. Nothing was state of the art - but was still of very good quality, worked well, was quiet and suited us. My breakfast experience on day one was the very best I have ever had - with cheerful efficient service, perfect poached eggs and even a separate stool provided for my handbag ! The true measure of any hotel is of course its staff, and those at Raffles were perfectly trained . They impressed me the most when things did not go perfectly, We had gone to the long bar and were feeling a little 'packaged' and unimpressed when I noticed a couple of pigeons had wandered in and were feasting on the peanut shells all over the floor. Now I am truely phobic about these birds and had to leave immediately even tho our drinks were yet to arrive - I beat a hasty retreat while Mr explained to he waiter and tried to arrange for the drinks to be delivered to our room - this was overheard by the manager - who followed me out - calmed me down and then escorted partner and me to a separate (bird free!) part of the bar - where he chatted to us , and totally turned the situation around. There was a lot of noise externally due to local construction which rather spoiled lounging by the pool, or strolling through the gardens - but thats Singapore - in constant flux!

Dear Degas,

Thank you for posting such a charming review of Raffles Singapore – and for choosing us as the haven for your birthday. We are honoured to be an iconic part of Singapore and I am glad you enjoyed the colonial, yet refined, atmosphere here. We couldn’t agree more that service is integral to any hotel experience - as such I am thrilled that the situation surrounding the pigeons was resolved. I will pass on your kind comments to the rest of the team and hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.