“Colonial Elegance”

Raffles Hotel Singapore
Ranked #4 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 10 May 2014

A common cliché is to say that staying at Raffles is like stepping back in time - it's not (and who wants to go back in time anyway, Singapore without air conditioning would be utterly unbearable). Rather, staying at Raffles is about experiencing a charm and style that is devoid in most modern hotels. There are better quality hotels in Singapore but Raffles remains amongst my favorites.

For me it's mostly an aesethic appeal (and unless you stay in one of the palm court rooms I think you would forego this experience). Service levels are of course excellent and there is a real sense of occasion staying here.

There are some drawbacks, the fittings and amenities are a little dated, the bed is amongst the hardest I have slept on and prices for hotel dining and drinks are definitely on the high side - although they do make an excellent martini at the Writer's Bar, after two of these you tend to lose track of cost.

Despite the drawbacks I still feel compelled to provide Raffles with a five star rating merely for the experience provided.

If I were a regular visitor to Singapore I would most likely stay at a more modern establishment, but for infrequent travel or as an overnight stop over there is nothing better.

As an aside, I feel obligated to qualify my review by acknowledging that my experience is based on staying within the palm court section of the hotel. I regrettably feel the ratings would not be so high for other rooms which I was able to view.

Despite those hard beds I'll definitely be staying at Raffles again - which in itself says a lot given the vast quality alternatives available in Singapore.

Room Tip: Any option is viable provided it's within the Palm Court section.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Aleck D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent visit with us. We are excited to count you among the many return visitors to our heritage property.
While it is heartening to hear that the hotel remains one of your favourites due to its charm, service standards and aesthetic appeal, I am concerned to learn that you experienced some shortcomings during your stay with us.

Your feedback on the fittings and amenities has been noted and we are in the planning phase to update some of these soon. We regularly review our prices for food and beverages locally and in terms of the rates we charge, we feel that they are competitive in this market for a unique dining experience in an iconic and colonial setting. The mattress that we use is Simmons and while it is rare the number of guests who find the beds too hard, we do have bed toppers for those guests who prefer something softer. We have taken the liberty to update your guest profile for future visits accordingly.

We always aim to deliver Raffles exceptional levels of service and I am delighted that this stood out for you throughout your visit. I will be sure to pass on your thoughtful words to the rest of the team. We are very grateful for your generous feedback as it allows us to continually monitor our guests’ requirements and work on improving the areas of concern. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Christian Westbeld
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Lovely hotel we stayed three nights here and got an upgrade through hotel. Court yard palm suite room checking in went very good love the fact that no other people can come in the hotel. Many tourism are looking to come into this hotel. This hotel has a lot of character history and this is what i liked. You need to have stayed once in your life in this hotel that is why we choose for this and did not got disappointed . Of course the room and bathroom could for sure need an upgrade but in this hotel you accept it because of the surrounding and the history. I loved the fact it is quiet and you can be little more outside in hotel and come to piece in busy Singapore. I think never had such a cold air-co in the hotel in my life, got a fever (from everywhere the aircos) and service was very helpful we got a late check out 7 pm on night we left in the evening what was very nice and helpful thanks again!! Swimming pool was quiet relaxed not to much beds but service good. One of the best breakfast I have seen even in hotels wow so many fresh choices and options really impressive take for sure the breakfast and take time to enjoy it!

Room Tip: Try maybe higher floor for sure palm court and not to far from the hotel lobby
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Jeffrey78,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Raffles Singapore has been an integral part of the city for over 125 years so I am delighted that you enjoyed its character and history in particular. I am also pleased that you found the hotel calm and peaceful, something we also pride ourselves on offering in this bustling and cosmopolitan city. I am equally delighted that the staff were able to provide support and assistance when you felt unwell. I hope you will return once again for a stay and to enjoy another delicious breakfast soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

This was the most amazing hotel experience, the history of the hotel is maintained and the hotel staff are extremely welcoming, friendly and professional. The hotel itself is fantastic and is highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Raffles Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank George_and_Kathy188

Dear George and Kathy,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the rich history of the hotel and found the staff to be extremely welcoming, friendly and professional. I will be sure to pass on your thoughtful comments to the rest of the team and hope you will return soon to enjoy another stay in the colonial charm of Raffles Singapore.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

We have just visited Raffles Singapore, where to start, it exceeded expectations in so many ways. Staff so helpful and friendly. Dian the concierge was second to non, she really went the extra mile. I really don't have a bad word to say about our suite, the room cleanliness, the food choice and quality, breakfast was a real treat, we tried the Tiffin curry evening, it was really enjoyable with a nostalgic feel. We always test a hotel with it's room service and it did not disappoint, speedy delivery, hot and good quality. The long bar, viberant with peanut shells on the floor, the slings slightly over priced but a little weaker than I remember, best to ask for shaken and watch it being made.
I have visited other Raffles properties but Singapore is the flagship, as it has that special old world charm with it's links to the past, with some modern twists.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Jan-Dave-B

Dear jan-dave-b,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations from the comfort and cleanliness of your room, to the delicious food offered at breakfast, at room service and in the Tiffin Room in the evening. I will also be sure to pass on your kind comment regarding the helpful and friendly service to the rest of the team, Dian in particular. I hope you will return again for a stay to take in the colonial calm and charm of Raffles Singapore soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just spent 2 nights at Raffles Singapore and cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. The building itself is truly iconic and the staff are very professional and courteous, you just can't fault them.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bluestanis
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear bluestanis,

Thank you for you kind review. I am delighted that you found our staff professional and courteous and would recommend us following your pleasant stay. Raffles Singapore is an iconic part of this cosmopolitan city and I am delighted that you also enjoyed the building’s atmosphere and architecture. I hope you will return again soon for another stay.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Beyond anything else.
This is probably the only the hotel left that reflects the Singapore pre WW2.
Raffles retains the ambience of colonial decadence, whilst providing the luxury affordable to today's travellers.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Raffles Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank William N

Dear William N,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the atmosphere of our iconic hotel which has been a central part of Singapore for over 125 years and also found the luxury we offer to be affordable to today’s travellers. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The Raffles hotel is of course a legend and, as those are, also a monument over itself. The hotel, the rooms and the grounds truly are beautiful and the staff is very welcoming. The only thing we lacked was a bit of efficiency - our group stayed in three courtyard suites, and the one I and my husband got smelled badly of mould. We alerted our butler to this and she arranged a different room were we then waited for almost an hour for our bags to be brought from one flight down. I was very hungry and ordered a croque monsieur from room service, who promised it would be at our door in "fifteen minutes or less", but it did not turn up until 40 minutes later (!) after we had made another call to remind them. This is of course not the service I would expect of a hotel of this sort.

The best thing about our stay at Raffles was without doubt the breakfast in the Tiffin room! It was not the biggest buffet I have ever seen, but it was wonderful! The breakfast staff was superlatively great and I would have wanted to try the entire made-to-order menu. I have no idea if they let you come to the Tiffin room breakfast if you are not staying in the hotel but if they do, go there!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Tomlinn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent visit.
While I am glad you found the staff welcoming and enjoyed the breakfast at Tiffin Room as well as the hotel ambience, I am concerned to hear that the suite that was allocated had a damp odour which we have since looked into and addressed by the relevant department to ensure that all suites smell fresh. This is certainly not the experience we normally provide.

I do apologise sincerely for you having not received the prompt service and personal attention from your butler and room service as you had expected, which should clearly be the case for such a straightforward request.

We are very grateful for your feedback as it allows us to continually monitor our guests’ requirements and work on improving these areas. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to Raffles Singapore in the future.

Yours sincerely,