“Back again...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Luxembourg
“Back again...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

After a first stay at the Raffles as a single traveler, I decided to come back again this time with family so they can enjoy this iconic place too. It's a peaceful and charming place in hectic downtown Singapore. After sightseeing it was great to cool down at the small but yet quiet pool; and after diner having a last drink at the Courtyard bar.
The staff was consistently friendly and professional. During the stay we solicited a few time the butler service to get tea (complementary service) though we wish we could prepare our tea by ourselves (no kettle, no tea, must call the butler service).

We had the courtyard suites just next the Courtyard bar. The bar plays music that can be heard in our room, no big issue though as the music is not loud.

We all enjoyed our stay and left the Raffles with regrets.

Room Tip: For a courtyard suite try to get a suite on the upper floor, it is slightly quieter and provide a pl...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear huow,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Raffles Singapore. It is always great to receive feedback from our guests, particularly from those who have visited us regularly. The hotel and its gardens have always been a serene sanctuary in the city. Everyone here strives to consistently deliver Raffles’ legendary levels of service so I was thrilled to read that you found the staff here friendly and professional. I will of course share your kind feedback with the rest of the team and hope to welcome you back soon.

Raffles Singapore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hamilton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Refined, quiet and welcoming. A hotel to experience rather than just a base. There are many areas around the hotel where guests are free to relax. The hotel has a real sense of history. Singapore sling at the Long Bar a bit expensive but a must do. The only place in Singapore where you are encouraged to discard items onto the floor... well, the peanut shells anyway

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Raffles Hotels & Resorts

Dear Stephen J,

Thank you for your kind review of Raffles Singapore. We are proud to be custodians of such an iconic part of Singapore’s heritage, so I am glad that you enjoyed this historical aspect of the hotel. We hope you will return for another stay with us soon.

Pleasanton, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I could have rated it "terrible" but I gave it a "poor". I made a special trip to the hotel to visit the most famous hotel in Singapore. How can I leave Singapore and say I didn't see this hotel. Our taxi dropped us at the front entrance. We were promptly told by the door person in an Indian outfit that we could not walk through the hotel lobby unless we were hotel guests! Does this happen often? I've walked through the lobby of:
1. the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong.
2. the Empress Hotel in Victoria, B.C. and had high tea.
3. the Waldorf Astoria in NYC.

I did not get to experience the ambiance of the Raffles Hotel lobby. I'm sure it's nice - a colonial atmosphere, etc. So, unless you're a guest at Raffles, don't waste your time coming here if you're expecting to see the interior of this hotel. I did walk the grounds surrounding the hotel - it was OK. Not highly trafficked - the stores inside the hotel did not have much business - the variety of stores in the hotel was lacking.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank D0rindaW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This certainly one of the world's great hotels but we just did not feel welcome. The rooms are great and should be for the money, but constant questioning if you are quest, plus slow processes means we will not be a repeat guest. Don't get wrong, the staff are all professional, it is just did not feel right for what it's reputation eludes.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hills_are_happy
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have wanted to stay at Raffles Singapore for many years. I was not disappointed, my stay was everything I had hoped for and more. The staff made us feel very special from the minute we arrived to the minute we departed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Raffles Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Marjorie M
Dear Marjorie M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Raffles Singapore has offered a haven for the well-travelled for over 125 years so I am pleased to hear that you felt it was ‘everything you hoped for and more’. We always aim to deliver Raffles exceptional levels of service and I am delighted that this stood out for you throughout your visit. I will be sure to pass on your thoughtful words to the rest of the team and hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

A common cliché is to say that staying at Raffles is like stepping back in time - it's not (and who wants to go back in time anyway, Singapore without air conditioning would be utterly unbearable). Rather, staying at Raffles is about experiencing a charm and style that is devoid in most modern hotels. There are better quality hotels in Singapore but Raffles remains amongst my favorites.

For me it's mostly an aesethic appeal (and unless you stay in one of the palm court rooms I think you would forego this experience). Service levels are of course excellent and there is a real sense of occasion staying here.

There are some drawbacks, the fittings and amenities are a little dated, the bed is amongst the hardest I have slept on and prices for hotel dining and drinks are definitely on the high side - although they do make an excellent martini at the Writer's Bar, after two of these you tend to lose track of cost.

Despite the drawbacks I still feel compelled to provide Raffles with a five star rating merely for the experience provided.

If I were a regular visitor to Singapore I would most likely stay at a more modern establishment, but for infrequent travel or as an overnight stop over there is nothing better.

As an aside, I feel obligated to qualify my review by acknowledging that my experience is based on staying within the palm court section of the hotel. I regrettably feel the ratings would not be so high for other rooms which I was able to view.

Despite those hard beds I'll definitely be staying at Raffles again - which in itself says a lot given the vast quality alternatives available in Singapore.

Room Tip: Any option is viable provided it's within the Palm Court section.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Aleck D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent visit with us. We are excited to count you among the many return visitors to our heritage property.
While it is heartening to hear that the hotel remains one of your favourites due to its charm, service standards and aesthetic appeal, I am concerned to learn that you experienced some shortcomings during your stay with us.

Your feedback on the fittings and amenities has been noted and we are in the planning phase to update some of these soon. We regularly review our prices for food and beverages locally and in terms of the rates we charge, we feel that they are competitive in this market for a unique dining experience in an iconic and colonial setting. The mattress that we use is Simmons and while it is rare the number of guests who find the beds too hard, we do have bed toppers for those guests who prefer something softer. We have taken the liberty to update your guest profile for future visits accordingly.

We always aim to deliver Raffles exceptional levels of service and I am delighted that this stood out for you throughout your visit. I will be sure to pass on your thoughtful words to the rest of the team. We are very grateful for your generous feedback as it allows us to continually monitor our guests’ requirements and work on improving the areas of concern. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Christian Westbeld
Hotel Manager
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Lovely hotel we stayed three nights here and got an upgrade through hotel. Court yard palm suite room checking in went very good love the fact that no other people can come in the hotel. Many tourism are looking to come into this hotel. This hotel has a lot of character history and this is what i liked. You need to have stayed once in your life in this hotel that is why we choose for this and did not got disappointed . Of course the room and bathroom could for sure need an upgrade but in this hotel you accept it because of the surrounding and the history. I loved the fact it is quiet and you can be little more outside in hotel and come to piece in busy Singapore. I think never had such a cold air-co in the hotel in my life, got a fever (from everywhere the aircos) and service was very helpful we got a late check out 7 pm on night we left in the evening what was very nice and helpful thanks again!! Swimming pool was quiet relaxed not to much beds but service good. One of the best breakfast I have seen even in hotels wow so many fresh choices and options really impressive take for sure the breakfast and take time to enjoy it!

Room Tip: Try maybe higher floor for sure palm court and not to far from the hotel lobby
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jeffrey78,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Raffles Singapore has been an integral part of the city for over 125 years so I am delighted that you enjoyed its character and history in particular. I am also pleased that you found the hotel calm and peaceful, something we also pride ourselves on offering in this bustling and cosmopolitan city. I am equally delighted that the staff were able to provide support and assistance when you felt unwell. I hope you will return once again for a stay and to enjoy another delicious breakfast soon.