“Perfect”

Raffles Hotel Singapore
Ranked #4 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had a lovely night when staying here on our way to Australia. It is a beautiful hotel and I was nice and cool inside with old-worlde decor considering it was so hot and humid outside. Of course we both tried the famous Singapore Sling. The staff were exceptionally friendly as staying here was the perfect treat.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear mini_moi75,

Thank you for your review of Raffles Singapore. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel beautiful and the staff exceptionally friendly. As the birthplace of the Singapore Sling, I find the Long Bar to be one of Singapore’s true treasures and so I am delighted that you also managed to fit in a visit during your stay. I hope you will both return again soon for another stay in the colonial charm and calm of Raffles Singapore.

There are newer reviews for Raffles Hotel Singapore

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This hotel is how life should be. As an aspirational destination for us it could not have been bettered. We stayed in a palm court room,2nd floor for only one night but it was a night we will treasure for the rest of our lives.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear BanffUK,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Palm Court suite and feel that the hotel represents “how life should be”. We strive to offer a haven for the well-travelled and so I am delighted that we were able to provide an experience that you will treasure for the rest of your life.

I do hope that if you return to Singapore you will return to enjoy our Palm Court suite, sheltered open air verandahs and the gentle rustle of the courtyards’ iconic Travellers Palms.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was in Raffles for an awards evening. It was very easy to find by cab. I had some school friends meeting me before the event at the lobby. I got off at diagonally the wrong side so had to walk the entire length of the property in a heavy silk saree ...but got to see almost all of it. I didn't stay there but it looked like a cosy place to stay. Nice fountain, cosy seating spaces, nice bar.. Since my phone Sim wasn't working I requested the desk for wifi access to WA my friends. The lady enquired about what event I was attending and shared a temporary wifi access thankfully. That didn't help then a very friendly attendant helped me call my friend from the hotel landline. That really helped me meet my friends easily since they were waiting where I had originally got off the cab. The Ballroom where the event was arranged was very nicely arranged. I had superb Indian veg food like it was made in India. While leaving I had a huge problem you had to order a can for yourself and I didn't have a working Sim my friend I was staying sent me a cab who went to the lobby while I was at the opposite entrance. Just be careful to tell the cab where to come to which entrance arcade or lobby especially when it's 12 in the night and you have a flight to catch out early next morning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Chittra Rlyer,

Thank you for posting your experience of Raffles Singapore. I am very pleased that you found our Indian cuisine to taste as if it was made in India and that while visiting us for your event, the staff were able to assist you in connecting with your friend. I do hope you will return to visit us again soon, perhaps for a longer stay so that we can truly show you what Raffles Singapore has to offer.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

an expierence one can never visualise unless they go there
I certainly recommend a stay at this world icon
Overall the hotel has been returned to something every one should see
the dining expierence was a bit of a shock a little too pricy for me but this would be the only complaint I have

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank B9588RSPeter_L

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and see Raffles Singapore as a ‘world icon’, we certainly do. I do hope you and your friends will return again soon to enjoy another stay in our haven for the well-travelled here in Singapore.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The problem with a hotel of Raffles' stature and reputation is attempting to comment on the new without remembering the old. Comparisons can indeed be odious and also unfair but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste; for me, today's Raffles would be OK to visit for tiffin (but not really worth the expense to stay, I'm afraid) purely because I knew no better, but having visited the original many times I can't help but get all Proustian for le temps perdu on Beach Road. Sure, there was a lot of genteel shabbiness that is so endearing to the English yet anathema to the Americans (more still the Europeans) that needed swept away to get enough bums in beds, but as the Sling is now manufactured off site in gallon drums (the staff actually refuse to make them individually by hand any more) and the Long Bar - with electronic punkas! - allows in the hoi polloi directly off the street, one has to question cost ($800 a night, for a decent room) versus content.....

Room Tip: Palm Court or Courtyard suites give best value
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Carol-WhiteStar
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Carol-Whitestar,

Thank you for your comments posted on TripAdvisor.

We have been an iconic part of Singapore’s history for over 125 years and have maintained true to our colonial heritage by ensuring our architecture and fittings reflect the benchmark year of 1915 after our restoration when the current buildings and layout came into existence.

We always aim to deliver Raffles’ legendary levels of hospitality so I am concerned to hear that your experience was not what the vast majority of our guests normally enjoy at Long Bar where the Singapore Slings are hand shaken by our bartenders behind the long bar in full view of all our guests. When we do expect larger parties, we do prepare drinks in advance but the vast majority are prepared individually.

With regard to our traditional fans or it being now operated electrically, they are still full of character often remarked on and the market for people willing to fan others by hand is alas long gone.

We believe that the rates we charge are competitive in this market for a unique experience and hotel. We are an all-suites hotel with 103 beautiful and classic suites which are all exceptional in their own way. We are fortunate to have many guests who return time and again and who see the value of a stay at Raffles Singapore.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The cordial welcome and the excellent service, we all enjoy the stay in Raffles Hotel.
The amenities of Raffles Hotel are classical and elegance, quite pleasing.
The room is clean and neat, and Butler completed efficiently the issues we have raised.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HsunYuanLin
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our suite was very disappointing. The Hotel overall is very Grand..English with a very upscale European Feel to it. Ambience/service/restaurants/outdoor bars were all 5 Star nice/timeless! Our Butler was Fab and the service overall was exceptional. The location was great!

The Long Bar where they serve the famous Singapore Sling, has been moved from it's original home in the lobby of the hotel to the shopping/courtyard area..Thankfully! Tourists come in by the bus loads, crowded dirty and ridiculously over priced..but we there with the crowds! As a guest of the hotel you can get right in..no waiting!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank VictoriaLee721

Dear VictoriaLee721,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

We always aim to deliver Raffles’ exceptional levels of service so I was pleased to learn that you had such an enjoyable dining experience with us and rated our restaurants “5 star” as well as found our service exceptional. However I am very concerned to hear that you were disappointed with your suite experience. If we have been alerted on this matter during your stay, we would have had the opportunity to address this if something had happened.

As the birthplace of the Singapore Sling, it is natural that guests make it a point to visit Long Bar to enjoy the cocktail and the old colonial plantation atmosphere. While there can certainly be occasional quieter times of the day, there is usually a great buzz that lends to the overall earthy atmosphere and experience. For this unique experience, we believe that our prices are certainly competitive with other similar iconic bars in the city.

We are very grateful for your generous feedback also as it allows us to continually work on improving areas of concern. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Yours sincerely,