“Tranquility”

Raffles Hotel Singapore
Ranked #4 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Old fashioned elegance, such a contrast to other city hotels
We love the way the rooms hane not changed, wooden flooring and original features! Fluffy pillows ,well stocked rooms
Courteous , discreet service

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzanne W
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2014

Dear Suzanne W,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the old-fashioned elegance of Raffles Singapore and appreciated the authentic features of our hotel which have been an iconic part of Singapore for over a century. I hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Raffles Hotel Singapore

Reviewed 14 August 2014

On our way to Borneo for our Honeymoon we opted to break up the journey with a few nights of Luxury at The Raffles Hotel in Singapore. From the moment we arrived at The hotel we were treated like royalty the whole time. We had a courtyard suite which is resplendent with a lounge area, a sizeable bedroom wi separate dressing room and bathroom. As we were on our honeymoon the hotel very kindly and unexpectedly gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne, some flowers and fruit to wish us well. We explored the delights of Singapore which are all close at hand before eating at the Tiffin restaurant with its stunning Indian buffet. The staff were always close at hand to give advice and recommendations but never too close so as to crowd you.

We were catching a flight early the next day and so were leaving before breakfast was served but our suite Butler was more than willing to arrange breakfast for us in our room well before breakfast was served at no extra cost! What service!

This was a perfect start to our honeymoon, luxury beyond expectations in a brilliant city! We will definitely be back!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TomandBoo

Dear TomandBoo,

Thank you for choosing to spend part of your honeymoon with us at Raffles Singapore. I am delighted that we could offer a memorable start to your first holiday as a married couple. We always aim to live up to Raffles’ reputation for legendary service - it is wonderful to read that the team were able to make you feel like royalty. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Having been lucky enough to stay here before with my wife (so two lucky counts), I stayed for only one night, travelling with a friend and colleague, en route to a hectic Australian trip. Raffles was as good as ever. There is a sense of serenity and immersion in comfort and care. The staff are brilliant, the rooms comfortable and spacious and the bathrooms immaculate. We had a marvellous breakfast in the Tiffin room and left content and rested. The airport pick-up driver was great - switching our double pick-up based on last minute flight arrival times and the entire experience was a delight. The hotel is also really well placed for seeing Singapore and we were lucky enough to stumble upon the National day rehearsals too!

Room Tip: A verandah room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear TonyDickenson,

Thank you for taking the time to review Raffles Singapore. I am very pleased that you found your stay at Raffles as good as ever, from our staff to the rooms and our famous Tiffin Room breakfast. We always strive to offer a haven for travellers here in cosmopolitan Singapore so I am delighted that you left content and rested. I hope you will return again for a stay soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We spent 5 beautiful nights at this iconic and beautiful hotel with our two kids (aged 5 and 8) and it lived up to our high expectations in nearly every regard.
Our room overlooking the fern court was lovely; spacious, atmospheric and spotless.
Our children were made to feel very welcome by all staff and were excited to find a Raffles soft toy tiger and t-shirt and activity booklet on our arrival as well as cute kids' amenity packs in the bathroom.
Staff were polite, discrete and helpful while some, including Swaren (one of the doormen) and our butlers were an absolute delight and went above and beyond in every aspect of service. Check in and out were seamless and help ranging from retrieving a camera left on our flight to arranging for a pair of pants to be hemmed were arranged obligingly, swiftly and for a reasonable cost.
Our booking through Amex Platinum travel entitled us to a few welcome extras such as free continental breakfast, a voucher towards food and drinks at hotel restaurants and free wifi. We were also entitled to a free room upgrade, subject to availability, but this was never mentioned and I have no idea whether it was granted or not. As our room was lovely and we were more than satisfied with it we didn't bother following that up but I would have if we had been disappointed with our room or location.
Breakfast in the Tiffin Room was fantastic with an abundant buffet of fresh and appealing western and asian options and myriad a la carte options at no extra cost. Service was good and staff were particularly sweet to our girls. As mentioned, we had two adult breakfasts included in our package and at check-in we were told they would comp the girls' breakfasts as well which I thought was a generous inclusion.
The main drawcard for this hotel, however, is the building itself. Its airy, luminous white spaces contrasted with the lush green foliage that surrounds it make it truly stunning. I enjoyed wandering around and photographing the grounds as much as any other part of Singapore. It's so atmospheric and uniquely Singaporean. I highly recommend booking a tour with the hotel's historian, Leslie Dekker. He is a font of knowledge (having seen the hotel through many of its historical transitions) and will let you in on whether the story about a tiger being shot in the Long Bar during colonial times is true or a myth...
The rooftop pool is lovely and a perfect spot to enjoy a drink as the sun sets and the kids have one last swim.
We mainly ate out but did have the obligatory Singapore Sling at the Long Bar and some light food which was fine. Shelling the peanuts and brushing the shells onto the floor was a highlight for the kids...it's the little things! The bar is atmospheric but the pre-mixed Sling was underwhelming and it does all feel pretty touristy in a way the rest of Raffles does not.
I know there are other hotels in Singapore that might present slightly better value for money, more modern amenities and better kid-focussed spaces and activities but as far as I'm concerned you could be staying anywhere in the world in one of those hotels. There is only one Singapore Raffles and there is nowhere like it to enjoy the very best of both Singapore's past and present. If, like us, it's atmosphere, charm and history you are after, this is your hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Trovamiqui,

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am delighted that you and your family’s stay lived up to your high expectations. We really enjoy welcoming families so I am pleased to read that your children enjoyed their activity packs and felt very welcome. We always strive to maintain Raffles reputation for legendary service so I am particularly pleased that the staff and went above and beyond to be helpful. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the rest of the team, to your butlers and Swaran in particular. I will also pass on your compliments to the hotel’s resident historian Leslie Danker who I am delighted you were able to meet. I think listening to him recount the incredible history of this iconic hotel is one of the true joys of a visit. I hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My partner and I stayed here for two nights as a stop over on our way to Thailand, It has always been on my list of places to stay.......and I was not let down!
Raffels is just the most beautiful hotel, from the moment we were picked up from the airport our lovely driver asked us if we wanted a "talking drive" or "non talking drive", we chose talking, he was so informative , we knew we were in for a great stay.
Check in was completed in our room by our lovely butler John, he was so helpful, I had pre arranged a package to be delivered to the hotel and it was waiting in our room, the stay was just so stress free, the room was stunning, we had a courtyard suite, when you walk around the Hotel you are made to feel like part of the family, nothing is to much trouble, we had a early check out and the day before the lovely staff at breakfast (which is amazing) asked us if we wanted a wee bundle of danish made up for out trip!
I just cant fault anything, I know people say it is expensive , but really you get what you pay for, we will stay again, but next time we will stay longer,
Till next time beautiful Raffles xx

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ange B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am delighted that your stay lived up to your expectations right from the start. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the rest of the staff and your butler John - I am happy that he was so helpful and that the rest of the staff made you feel like part of the family. We certainly see all of our guests as just that – family. I hope you will return to visit us again soon here in Singapore.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed for 3 days in august with wife and our two kids (6+8 yrs).
A fantastic experience that even exceeded our prior high expectations. The hotel and the rooms are just charming, the breakfast (and other dining options) are delicious and the staff are very kind and helpful.
We definitively need to go back! :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Raffles Hotels & Resorts
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2014

Dear Martin S,

Thank you for your thoughtful review of Raffles Singapore.

We consistently aim to offer Raffles’ renowned levels of hospitality and I am delighted that you found the staff to be kind and helpful and that you had a fantastic experience with your family.

I do hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Everything is perfect, room, cleanness, service, restaurants, view, location. You feel as being back at the end of the XIX century with all the modern amenieties. Very expensive but definitely worth it ! Must stay once in your life!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ileana B,

Thank you for choosing to post such a thoughtful review of Raffles Singapore - particularly for your statement that ‘everything is perfect’. True praise indeed and hugely appreciated. We are honoured to have been caretakers of this iconic part of Singapore for over 127 years and I am delighted that you too feel that the hotel’s history is blended will with modern amenities. I will be sure to share your generous thoughts with the rest of team and look forward to welcome you back again soon.