“Overall, does live Up to the Four Seasons Name”

Four Seasons Hotel Singapore
Ranked #5 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
JAKARTA
“Overall, does live Up to the Four Seasons Name”
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I decide to try out the Four Seasons for one night in one of their one-bedroom suite. They are having promotion for weekend stay which is much lower than their normal rates. Besides, the Four Seasons in Hong Kong is my all-time favorite hotel. I reckon that even if the Four Seasons Singapore is half as good as their sister hotel in Hong Kong ( and their rate is less than half as much ), it will be a satisfactory stay at least.

Arriving

I took a cab to the hotel and upon arrival, the bellboy took care of my luggage in a speedy manner. I was lead to the reception desk for check-in. There’s no queue so I don’t need to wait and a polite female staff checked me in. I wrote in advance to the hotel that I wanted a quiet room and was assured the suite assigned to me will be quiet although it is not the corner suite that I wanted. Now start the first hiccup in service. Because my flight the next day is at midnight, I requested for a late checkout, up to 6PM if possible.

Immediately, the answer was a firm NO. “We are fully booked sir”, so I was told. I then explained that I got a midnight flight the next day and it will be too early if I have to check out at 12 noon which is the official check-out time. Being familiar with Four Seasons service, I was expecting some consideration and flexibility. Again, the answer is NO and instead, she offered me a half-day stay at a Deluxe room at S$180++ instead which I turned it down. She then gave me the keys and show me the lift to my room. No escort to room. Not that I was expecting it but I’m a First time guest at the Four Seasons Singapore and a suite room guest for that matter, I was expecting a better welcome, ie a Four Seasons welcome.

Not contended with being denied my late check-out, I checked the availability of the one-bedroom suite on the hotel’s website and found that they are still available. So how can it be “fully booked”? I finally have to call their Guest Relationship Manager and after some haggling, I managed to get a late check-out up to 3PM. OK, good enough but still I can sense their reluctance in doing so. Obviously, the hotel was expecting some last minute booking and was unwilling to extend any late check-out for me even though the suite is technically available. That’s very un-Four Seasons like.

The Room

Fortunately, it didn’t go further downhill from here. The suite is a expansive one bedroom suite with separate living area and bedroom measuring a spacious 91m2 . First impression was that the suite was rather dark and lack natural lighting. Then the décor is classical and on first impression seems to lack the wow factor of say the Four Seasons in Hong Kong or the St Regis just a few blocks down the road. However, closer inspection shows that the room was furnished very elegantly and all furniture and fittings are of high quality, and kept sparkling new.

A long foyer leads to the plesant living room that has a comfortable sofa seat and a dinning table for four. There’s a welcome fruit plate. For entertainment, the suite comes with a 42” Sharp Aquos LCD TV and DVD player. On-desk connection allows for connection of laptop and MP3 player. A pleasant surprise greets me when I enter the bedroom. It features the same extremely comfortable bed used in the Four Seasons Hong Kong, with exactly the same mattress and linens and actually feels a bit larger. It’s simply divine and provide me with a great night sleep. The bathroom is a full ensuite with dual sinks but the fittings are old-style contemporary. Still it looks brand new and water pressure is good which is most important. Toiletries could be better though as the hotel only provide small size L’Occitane. The bathrobes are soft and fluffy.

Overall, the suite is elegant and tastefully decorated, with a timeless feel to it. It grows on me the longer I stayed in this suite. Everything feels so comfortable and in their proper place.

Common Areas

The Four Seasons Singapore is not a large 5-star hotel physically like the Ritz or the Mandarin. While it has 255 guest rooms, the hotel has a very boutique feel to it. It also doesn’t have the soaring atrium of the Four Seasons Hong Kong. Exploring more though and one can easily find delightful areas for relexation. There is this particular study and sitting area that is just next to the reception which is decorated in a timeless elegant manner. It’s very relaxing to stay there and just read a book or magazine. Other areas of the hotel are just as nicely furnished and decorated. Oriental and modern artwork decorated most of the common areas of the hotel.

I only visited the One-Ninety Restaurant for breakfast and the décor is a bit too dark and gloomy for my taste. Breakfast is just so-so with garden varieties breakfast items, ie. Cereals, eggs etc. The orange juice was great and so is the coffee. I was surprised to read that the price of the breakfast cost S$48 per pax. Fortunately, it’s included in my room rate. I also visited the gym which is well equipped. The hotel despite its size have two swimming pools, one next to the gym at the 3rd floor and one at the roof top with a view of orchard road.

In terms of design and décor, the Four Seasons Singapore reminds me of the Oriental in Bangkok which is steep in tradition, yet elegant and timeless. Nowadays, new hotels always go for the modern contemporary design that appears almost like cookie-cutter designs from the same mold. The Four Seasons is a nice change.

Other than the initial check-in hiccups, I really find it difficult to find any fault with the service. Staff are consistently polite and friendly and always asked if they can be of any assistance. And they are quick to response to any service call in a willing and gracious manner. I was often greeted by name and service with a smile. This is typically Four Seasons service at it’s very best, surpassing even the services at St Regis. It’s still not quite as excellent as those in Four Seasons Hong Kong but close enough. For those that are looking for a pampering experience, there are few options in Singapore as good as this hotel.

One special mention is that the Housekeeping staff in Four Seasons are truly first class. I don’t interact much with them but just looking at my suite’s condition, I know they did an excellent job. Just like their counterpart in Hong Kong, I’m not sure how they do it but everything is always kept sparkling and clean. It’s so meticulous that I find it difficult to spot dust in my suite, not to mention dirt of any kind. True luxury is to indulge oneself in an environment as pleasant as this.

Conclusion

The 3rd Four Seasons I have tried proof to be a great value and with excellent potential. My fondness for this chain grows and I’m now looking forward to trying out a 4th Four Seasons. True, the suite is not as “exciting” as the Executive Suite I tried in Four Seasons Hong Kong, but so is the price which is less than half. And the service is close, if not for the hiccup on check-in, I would have given it my rare 5/5. Overall a great Four Seasons.

• Stayed September 2009
4 Thank BENLEE123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 September 2009

My husband and I live in Singapore, but we were looking for a place to celebrate his birthday weekend, and get some adult alone-time. We looked at the St. Regis and the Ritz-Carlton, but ultimately chose the Four Seasons, due to its excellent location right off bustling Orchard Road and its value for money. We weren’t disappointed. After an easy check-in, where we were given a room upgrade without even asking, my husband took a nap while I went to the 20th floor roof-top pool. The sweet pool attendant made up a lounger for me with plush towels, and then brought me a tray with a cool cloth, a bowl of fresh watermelon chunks and a small mister bottle for my face. I watched the sun go down from the lounger. I returned to our large, tastefully decorated room to prepare for dinner. My husband woke up with a headache, and the concierge promptly sent us a packet of panadol from the gift shop. After returning from dinner, we wanted to have the birthday cake I ordered the day before delivered poolside, but it was after 10 p.m. and the pool was officially closed. However, I called the concierge to request that we be allowed to have the cake delivered there, and our request was graciously granted. They even provided candles for the cake and matches to light the candles, both of which I had forgotten to bring. We enjoyed the excellent breakfast buffet the next morning, which had a fine selection, including made to order scrambled eggs for me, and a perfect omelet for my husband, something which is very hard to come by in Asia. My only complaint is that our room, 1114, smelled of cigarette smoke, although we were supposed to be in a non-smoking floor. All in all, we had a great time at the Four Seasons, and will return there for our next “staycation” and we will recommend it to all our friends visiting from overseas. The service was excellent for our entire stay, several times going beyond the call of duty, as one would expect from a Four Seasons.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Topshelf210b
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We have now stayed at the Four Seasons Singapore on at least 3 occasions. It never disappoints!

The service is 5 star - in particular concierge for whom nothing is too much trouble.

We will only stay at the Four Seasons in Singapore and highly recommend it to all!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Cleveland
Reviewed 10 September 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a long layover in Singapore. We book through agoda.com and had no problem with the reservation at all. Breakfast was included with our rate.

Reception:
Beautiful marble entry and flower display. Efficient check in.

Room:
Nice view and a big window. Automated windoshades are nice. Big new TV.

Bathroom: all marble. Big bathtub double sinks. The usual.

Dining: only had the buffet breakfast which was included in our rate.
Excellent variety typical of four seasons and other elite hotels. Expertly arranged breakfast and the omlette chef would't accept anything but perfect.

Concierge: Really strong performance here. I called down for recs on a restaurant with a view. They got us a reservation for "Indochine" which was exactly the kind of place we were looking for.

Roof top Pool:
Small but nice. We would have enjoyed it if we had time.

Departure: We were granted a late check out but we did not use it. Instead we left our bags with the bellmen. We returned to the hotel at about 600pm and took the elevator to the club level where we were provided with supplies to shower up and get ready for our journey.

Overall:
Very satisfied
Would Return

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gwera
HKG,SIN,CAN
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I'm a big fan of Four Seasons hotels and was eagerly anticipating my stay at the FS Singapore - especially with all the glowing reviews here on the TA and other sites. I stayed for 4 days, and whilst on the whole the hotel was good, I don't think it was Four Seasons good as there were quite a few inconsistencies during our stay;

1) Warm Welcome - To me this is very important. However, the greeting at the door or by bell services ranged from over the top to non-existent. When we arrived from the airport, there was absolutely no greeting from the bell man or the door man - and they simply asked how many bags we had and it was not until we reached the reception desk where we were actually greeted properly. Other times after our morning stroll, we were offered cold towels and iced water by the bell man....big inconsistencies! As a contract, occassionally we would take cabs to the Hilton and walk back up to the FS, and the Hilton welcome was on point every time.

2) We were travelling with my 4-month old daughter and whilst the baby amenities were generally of a high standard, I was a bit surprised by the bottle warmer and sterilizer provided by the hotel - dirty and old. We returned it back to housekeeping.

3) Bedsheet (Topsheet) had two small holes in it. Not a big deal for me - but is it really up to FS Standards?

4) Breakfast - Some of the reviews talk about how great the breakfast buffet is at the FS. I'm sorry, but i've had much better breakfasts elsewhere. Whilst the quality of the food was good, the variety was non-existent. Service also ranged from mediocre, to exceptionally warm.

On the whole, I think FS Sin is a comfortable property and very good value for a FS. However, when compared to other FS's (HK, Bali, even BKK) i think it misses the mark. Whether it's the best service in Singapore, I'm yet to be convinced - service is about consistency and providing choices - and whilst there were definitely moments where we had exemplary service, it was definitely outnumbered by the lackluster moments.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul H
chandigarh
Reviewed 30 June 2009

It was our first time in a Four Seasons - we expected the moon and I think we almost got it. Best parts were
1. The quiet feel of luxury as you walk in to the lobby.
2. Plush corridors
3. Amazingly comfortable beds (had heard so much about them)
4. The bathrooms are beautiful, and the amenites are by L'Occitane (heaven!)
5. Huge flat screen tv
6.Prompt roomservice
7.Location - an easy walk to the start of Orchard St shopping
Could be better:
1. Room was a little too small specially as we had kids with us
2. Breakfast choice was a little dissapointing - though they did try and find choclate cereal for the kids from the kitchen
3. The Maitre D lady on duty for breakfast looked cranky and inhospitable.
A pleasant 2 night stay - but did I expect a bit more from a Four Seasons.........??

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Southern U.S.
Reviewed 27 June 2009

This hotel meets or exceeds every expectation for a five-star hotel anywhere in the world. .

Being a tourist I was pleased with the easy access to Orchard Road and once construction is complete, even easier to get in the MRT subway system.

Other hotels should study the Four Seasons to see how to get it right on every level.

Stayed June 2009, travelled solo