“An Oasis in the Lion City” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore

Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
Ranked #9 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
New York
“An Oasis in the Lion City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is definitely one of the most outstanding large-scale luxury properties in the world. While the hotel has three wings, Tower wing, Garden Wing and Valley Wing, you really don't feel crowded at any time.

We stayed in the Valley Wing, which was absolutely magical. The room was just so comfortable -- an amazing bed, sitting area and a large spacios bathroom. The wonderful part about staying in the Valley Wing is that you have your own private lounge for breakfast, tea and happy hour. The service is simply outstanding. I loved starting my mornings outdoors in a beautiful private garden for Valley Wing guests with "the Singaporean" breakfast. Evenings always kicked-off for us in the lounge with the best Singapore Slings I have ever had. Forget the Raffles or any other place in Singapre, the Valley Wing bar does it best!

Within a few hours of your arrival, each staff member at the Valley Wing knows your name. They are always smiling and so willing to help with anything. The pool area is share between the three wings. Having said that, it is one of the best hotel pools I have ever experienced in terms of the size of the pool, landscaping, service and just the sense of comfort!

The location of the Shangri La is exceptional. It is just a short walk from Orchard Road and with easy access to many parts of this great city.

I cannot say enough about this property. My parents and I visited Singapore on a family vacation, and I have to say the Shangri La made it truly special. Whenever I return, the Shangri La will certainly be my first choice!

Room Tip: Valley Wing. It is truly exceptional!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank barca212
SLSGM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear guest

Many thanks for your lovely recommendation of The Valley Wing! I am truly happy to learn that your family and you have enjoyed your stay at our ultimate sanctuary. Please know that your compliments are very much appreciated and will be shared with all my team members.

I look forward to welcoming your family and you back soon.

Vice President and General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

A very pleasant 3 night stop over spent at this hotel on the way to Borneo.

As it was our Anniversary during our stay we were presented with a beautiful spray of roses, and a delicious chocolate cake! Very nice.

The main reception area is beautiful and although always busy but was kept ship shape. The chaps at the front of the building and the Concierge are wonderfully friendly and helpful.

Check in was ultra quick and we were escorted to our room in the Garden Wing. A well appointed room with a view to the front of the hotel from a large balcony awaited us. The room was immaculate with a large bathroom with a large separate shower and his and hers sink....very clean and very nice indeed.

A quick dip in the the swimming pool, which although icy cold, provided a very pleasant break from the heat of the city. The gardens and area around the pool are very neat and tidy and a great place to relax after a spot of sightseeing or shopping.

We took breakfast in the waterfall restaurant beside the pool and we were treated to a good selection of foods from a buffet and also from a menu. Service was efficient and friendly though not in your face.

Our deal, which we got through Flight Centre, included half price cocktails in the lounge. These were delicious and we enjoyed perhaps a few too many on two of the evenings before heading into town.

The hotel is situated 15 minutes walk from the nearest Underground train station. Taxis, as an alternative, await you at the front of the hotel and are relatively cheap by UK standards. Depending what time you are travelling the journey from the hotel to the Marina will take you around 15 - 20 minutes. If you have a meeting or table booked somewhere allow a little extra time as the traffic in a storm grinds to a halt.

The gym at the hotel was well maintained and had all the usual cardio and weights machines - I am always impressed when I visit a hotel that has all its equipment in working order and no sweaty dribble marks running down it!

One other benefit that came with our deal was a bottle of Champagne.....this didn't appear and I did have to go and ask for this but when it arrived it was a very nice bottle of Tattinger - No complaints from us when this arrived!

The Waterfall and internal Gardens are quite stunning and were nice to have a wander through. Lots of Koi Carp adorn the pools. You would never think you were in a busy city with all the Greenery around.

We didn't eat in the hotel at lunchtime or the evening as we had a few eateries that we wanted to visit so can't comment on the food other than breakfast.

There was always live music in the lounge in the evening and the quality of this was really good.

All in all I would recommend this hotel for its comfort and because it is a little oasis for relaxation in the madness of a busy but wonderful city. Hope that one day I can visit once again. Thanks to all at the Shangri La for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: There are rooms that look over the pool to the rear of the hotel. Although we had a room facing the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sturdybirdy
Dear guest

Congratulations on your anniversary! Thank you for choosing to celebrate this special milestone with us. I am very happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay at our urban resort, the Garden Wing. Please know that your compliments are very much appreciated and will be shared with all my team members.

I look forward to welcoming both of you back soon.

Indore, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Rooms, service, hospitality and location is just too good. Just food was a little of trouble for us as we were vegetarians. That too Indian vegetarians. But apart from that everything here was too good. The hotel is Grand and has very good facilities among which my favourite was the health club. Advantage that if you have late night flight you have access to this facility till midnight on the day you check out. So you do not need to spend on extra night just to relax and freshenup before leaving for airport :). And the healthclub is really amazing with lots of activities to enjoy and relax. Overall stay Pleasant :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nidhi_Charchit_Garg
Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your compliments via Tripadvisor. I am glad to know that your overall staying experience has been enjoyable. Please be assured that I will share your compliments with my team members, especially the Health Club.

For your future visit, please feel free to email me in advance so that I can alert our Indian chefs regarding your dietary preferences. My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

Hazelwood, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Great service, great accommodations, great food. Only place I have stayed in Singapore. Close to shops and metro station. Huge pool, great staff, second to none in my opinion. Worth the little bit extra.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dear guest

Welcome back! Thank you for sharing your positive review via Tripadvisor. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your Shangri-La experience once again. Please be assured that I will share your compliments with my team.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is clean and the staff are helpful & friendly. The service in Singapore is not on par with other SE Asian countries but good enough. The pool is excellent for kids & the provision of clubs and play areas for little ones is excellent so a great place for those wanted a lay over with little ones. The access to all the activities on Sentosa and Singapore is also easy with a cab ride never more than 14$sg. I'd return here, nice spot with good wifi!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Rob

Thank you for your positive review via Tripadvisor. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your Shangri-La experience, and our complimentary Wi-Fi service.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We recently stayed in the Valley Wing for a couple of days on the back end of our honeymoon and it was truly a great experience. Warm welcome and extreme attention to detail especially with the staff, the room was decorated with roses on our arrival.(I did hint to them it was our honeymoon, which demonstrates their commitment to service). The valley wing certainly provides that notch above, complimentary french champagne, high tea and canapés, you really don't have to leave more than a hotel it is an experience. We had a deluxe room which was more than generous in size, comfortable bed. About 10 min walk to Orchard Rd. Exclusive valley wing breakfast area for elegant treatment or try The Line for a bit of fun and exceptional choice. We normally don't stay at such a high end hotel but for an indulgent treat it was worth every cent.

Room Tip: Valley Wing - don't think there is a bad one.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JAW868
Dear guest

Congratulations on your wedding! Thank you for choosing to celebrate your honeymoon with us. I am very happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay at The Valley Wing, our ultimate sanctuary.

I look forward to welcoming both of you back soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Lovely hotel and an oasis in the centre of Singapore. I stopped in a Executive Room that commands a great view of the city. Plus you get access to the lounge and everyone loves happy hours (when the drinks are free).

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Heath2
Dear Heath

Thank you for sharing your positive review via Tripadvisor! I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay at our Horizon Club.