“very nice”

Ranked #9 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Auckland, New Zealand
“very nice”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed 4 nights on business. The welcome was excellent, and the staff were perfect througout my stay. There is a full-size gym downstairs, a real treat. There were no issues, except maybe small details that relate to fast infrastructure aging in the tropics (the plug would not accept my converter and sparked on occasion, the intercom with some twenty buttons required concentration to operate, and overall there were signs of aging across the room's furnishings). Everything was very good overall, especially the breakfast and the hotel's quiet yet central location near several places of interest (Orchard rd, Botanical gardens). I can certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SLSGM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your kind recommendation via Tripadvisor. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay. Please be assured that your feedback regarding our electrical plug and telephone system are well noted.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Vice President and General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (992)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Dad and Mom lived in Singapore about 5 years back, this time when they are back visiting Singapore, we went back to the Rose Veranda for their famed afternoon tea. It was good as expected - fantastic service and good selection of finger food. Enjoyed it very much!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Go

Welcome back! Thank you for your positive review of The Rose Veranda. I am glad to know that your parents and you have enjoyed your Shangri-La experience yet again.

I look forward to welcoming all of you back again soon!

Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is one hotel which will always stand out in my memory. th beautiful Shangri La in Singapore.
I had a couple of occasions to stay there. The most lovely suites with everything available and very beautifully decorated by the best there is. At one point my daughter was little so I used the Lanai which is a chalet on the ground leval also handy to take my daughter around the gardens and over to the children's pool.
Everything about it is quite 5 star and I would recommend it to anyone who wishes such a lovely surrounding and not in the centre of Singapore. It is expensive so only if you have the money to afford it tho there are many very good hotels in Singapore which is a treat on it's own. Of course a trip to the car park to eat is on it's own is a treat and this is very in- expensive and the food excellent . The car park food is terrific and a must for any tourist.
so if you can afford the wonderful Shangri La go for it you won't regret it. I could no more afford such luxury but did enjoy the time I had there a great memory
Avril Hagan

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ms. Hagan

Many thanks for sharing your lovely review via Tripadvisor! It was heartwarming to read your comments about our gardens. I am truly appreciative that you have taken the time to share such special memories with us.

I look forward to welcoming you, and your daughter, back again soon!

Glen Innes
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our recent stay meet all our expectations for a Hotel of this quality. Efficient check-in, amazing ambience, and a well appointed spacious room in the Garden Wing which is enclosed around beautiful gardens and waterfall. We chose a package that included breakfast in the Waterfall restaurant and a complimentary cocktail hour early evening, which we thoroughly enjoyed. The hotel is a real escape from the heat and bustle of Singapore. Total luxury.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dear Anysia

Many thanks for your lovely review via Tripadvisor! I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay at the Garden Wing, our urban resort. Please be assured that I will pass on your compliments to our chefs.

I look forward to welcoming both of you back again soon!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great location - quiet but within walking distance of Orchard Road. Beautiful gardens, and pool area is great. The hotel has everything that your could need, the staff are excellent, and the day spa is great.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

1 Thank Anne B
Dear Anne

Thank you for sharing your positive review via Tripadvisor. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your Shangri-La experience. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Madison
Reviewed 2 June 2014

There were some nice things about the Shangri-La, but several annoying things as well. If this were a budget hotel, maybe the little things would not matter so much. I give it a poor rating, but it would be good or very good if this were a budget hotel. I would not plan to go to this hotel for a special experience.

Good things:
1. Staff is very pleasant.
2. Great workout room -- really a full gym -- and the pool area is beautiful.
3. Really nice breakfast buffet

Annoying things:
1. Really bad internet. It would randomly cut out, and it was hard to pick it back up. This happened constantly, and not just to me but to colleagues in other rooms. I like to use internet to FaceTime back to my family at home, but it was really hopeless with the internet connection at the Shangri-La.
2. My room reservation came with car service to and from the airport. On my return to the airport, the car dropped me off at the wrong terminal!! This was at 3:45 AM, and the train between terminals is not running at that time. And there is nobody around to ask how to get between terminals. This really was unpleasant -- I was quite worried about missing my plane. I would advise using a taxi rather than the car service provided by Shangri-La.
3. Be sure to latch your door, and close your bathroom door, even if you are alone. Once one of the staff rang the bell while I was using the bathroom. I didn't answer of course, but the door was unlatched (locked, but not latched) and the staff member came right in. It's odd that they cannot figure out that somebody is in the room, because my key was in the power slot. Doesn't that send a signal that someone is in the room? Can't they figure out that there might be a reason that nobody answered the door? This incident made me feel quite unsafe in the room.
4. One time at the breakfast buffet, and only once, there was a bill for me to sign. I asked one of the staff why there was a bill this day and no other days. He said "Sometimes you just need to sign for breakfast." But of course, when I went to check out, my bill showed a charge for breakfast that day. I needed to persuade the check-out person that my breakfast was no different that day than any other. Really, the problem here was the staff member at the buffet, who just gave me an answer instead of checking into whether there was a problem.
5. The room furnishings are not what you would expect from a five star hotel. They aren't terrible, but basically are like upper end IKEA. The problem is not enough dresser space. There was only one small, three-drawer dresser the size of a bedside table, tucked inside the armoire. The bedside tables themselves are not furniture, but just table tops built into the wall, as is the desk. If you are staying for more than one night, plan to use your suitcase as dresser space.
6. When I made the reservation, I asked for an international newspaper to be delivered. The first morning there was a local paper, and no paper after that. Maybe I needed to sign up to get emails from Shangri-La in order to have this amenity (that is, I needed to sign up to be a member of their hotel frequent stayer club), but this was not at all clear when I made the reservation.

To sum up, the hotel is great at some things, but not first class.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CMERWE
Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback via Tripadvisor. I am really sorry to read about your experiences. May I please request that you contact me directly so that I can apologise to you in person, and at the same time, find out the details of your stay? My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

I hope to hear from you soon!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I recently celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary at the Shangri La (we also had our honeymoon there). From the moment we arrived everyting was flawless, our room was excellent and the staff friendly, courteous and knowledgeable. Forty years ago we believed the Shangri La was at the very top of hotels in Singapore - that it remains there today is a real credit to all those involved.

Room Tip: Horizon Club is well worth the little extra.