“High standards, as always”

Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
Ranked #10 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The only surprising thing about the Singapore Shangri-la (or indeed any other Shangri-La) is that there are no surprises, at least not unpleasant ones. We were here for part 38 of my wife's nephew's wedding celebrations ( for part 37 see my previous review) and the main event, after the traditional tea ceremony, was held in the large banqueting room on the ground floor.

Everything was nicely arranged, the table displays, flowers etc. etc.. We enjoyed a seven course lunch of the highest quality served by supremely polite and efficient waiters and waitresses. I believe that the happy couple were more than satisfied with the whole event. A nice touch was the appearance of the manager to make sure that all was well ( it was) and add his best wishes to bride and groom.

Jolly good show, Shangri-La !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
SLSGM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Tim

Congratulations to your family on the occasion of your nephew's wedding! Many thanks for sharing your compliments via Tripadvisor. I will certainly share your positive feedback with our banquet operations team and chefs.

Hopefully, I will have the chance to welcome you to the hotel soon.

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had an afternoon tea with my friends here while visiting Singapore. They food was lovely, plenty to choose from, and they have a gorgeous dessert bar! The service was excellent as what you would expect from a 5 star!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Ris

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad to know that your friends and you had the chance to enjoy afternoon tea at our hotel. The chefs will be delighted to know about your compliment.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at valley wing, arrived at around 7am, was picked-up at the airport, the driver was a bit annoyed at the traffic while driving he didn't also know the wifi password of the car. The check-in was absolutely fast, we were checked in the room, the lady was very nice, The room was big, clean and comfortable with unlimited juice and soda, had unlimited laundry, although the one doing doing the laundry didn't know it was free, but it was taken care of. overall a very good stay at the hotel. the staff were very nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
3  Thank Jeffrey168

Dear Jeffrey

Thank you for sharing your feedback via Tripadvisor. While I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your overall experience at The Valley Wing, I am concerned by your observations on the driver and laundry colleague. May I please request that you contact me directly so that I can apologise to you in person, and at the same time, find out more details about your stay? My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have stayed here several times, often with or booked by a family member who is a member of the Golden Circle, which helps with upgraded rooms. This chain of hotels is wonderful, but out of the five different Shangri-La's I have stayed in this one is the best by far. It's walking distance to the shops, the food served is incredible, the service is at least 7* and the spa and treatments are extensive.
I've never had a bad experience here, or heard of anyone that has.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear guest

Welcome back! Many thanks for sharing your positive review via Tripadvisor. It is always a joy to read feedback from our loyal friends. I am heartened to learn that, once again, you have enjoyed your Shangri-La experience. Please be assured that I will share your compliments with my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

On our return trip from Bali we wanted to stay a few days in Singapore before heading home. My husband is a member of the Shangri-la Golden Circle after having had a wonderful stay in one of their HK hotels, so we decided to stay at their Singapore hotel as well. What a good choice!

As soon as we arrived at the hotel, we were whisked up to our connecting rooms by our own check-in member of staff so no waiting in lines. The rooms, although without much of a view, were lovely: muted peaceful colours, an amazing large bathroom with both tub and shower and a lovely sitting area.

On the flight to Singapore, my husband had accidentally got red wine on his white polo, so we called the staff and asked them if we could have it laundered immediately, They sent someone up, we showed them the stain and asked them to do their best. Less than 2 hours later, the polo was returned brilliantly white and no stain!

The breakfast buffet was amazing: so many choices and everything was delicious.

We could not find any fault with the hotel and it's wonderful and friendly staff.

My only warning would be that it is a little out of the way, but taxis are cheap and plentiful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gvamom

Dear guest

Many thanks for sharing your positive via Tripadvisor! I am glad to know that your family and you have enjoyed your Shangri-La experience. Compliments from our Golden Circle members are precious to us. Please know that your thoughtful compliments are very much appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming all of you back soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is a world famous hotel which enjoys a stellar reputation.
Unfortunately, we were disappointed for the following reasons:
1. The Tower rooms are definitely tired and appear dated. The electronic controls are old and look quite basic. Not at all what I would expect for a 5 star hotel.
2. The location is not ideal. It's a 10-15 minute walk to Orchard Road and not on the MRT. Why stay out here when there are so many hotels on Orchard Road to choose from? Also, the hotel does provide a shuttle but the shuttle actually takes longer than walking!
3. The dinner buffet is enormous but the wait staff is completely overworked and thus not too friendly. Again, not what I would expect from a 5 star hotel.
4. We had a MAJOR screw-up with our Shangri La GoldenCircle Program points. We have stayed in Shangri La properties in Hong Kong, Manila and Bangkok but were NOT allowed to use our points, even after being told that we would be getting a free night. We did not feel like valued frequent customers and this was perhaps the most disappointing aspect of our stay!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WLand

Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback via Tripadvisor. Golden Circle members are our most treasured loyal guests. I am sorry learn that your experience fell short of expectations. May I please request that you contact me directly so that I can apologise to you in person, and at the same time, find out more details about your stay? My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Lobby: They know exactly how to leave a great first impression. The lobby is grand and is beautifully decorated.
4 things that you will notice when you check-in: state of the art check in touch surface interface, huge flower decor, a carpet in the lift which will say the day of the week (which they change at 12 in the night) AND super fast luggage transfer to room.
Room: Cozy bed, huge room. Sadly, the WiFi is not secured! Perfect place to enjoy a football world cup match at 4AM in the morning.
Bathroom: Bathtub feels little small by standards. Its pretty cool that the TV speakers are there in the bathroom! The bath soaps and shampoo were below average.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful review via Tripadvisor! I am glad that you have enjoyed your Shangri-La experience during the World Cup season. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.