“Thoroughly spoilt”

Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
Ranked #11 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Having stayed at other Shangri-La properties I knew that we would not be disappointed, but Cory and her team in the Horizon Club have made this Shangri-La experience the best one yet. From check-in to check-out we were spoilt by these guys.
Jeff made sure we started our day with an amazing breakfast and one of his gorgeous smiles. Cory, Aaron, Kamal, Asha, Joel & Alvin were always there with a smile and a cocktail (our special Mojito) each evening after a hard day spent by the pool, shopping or sight seeing. They were a great source of information on where to go, what to do and the best way to get there. They all took great pride in performing their job, and are some of the most genuine people I have met. Cory you are truly an amazing young woman and your team does you proud!!
Our room attendant Zuo Long also deserves a mention. Although we rarely saw him we always knew he had been. It appears that our room was cleaned several times throughout the day. The bathroom was always spotless and fresh, and each evening when we returned there was a lovely bookmark and a chocolate beside the bed. Thank you Zuo. We didn't get to thank you in person but we want you to know that we really appreciated everything you did for us.
The Shangri-La has one of the best pool areas I have ever seen in an inner city hotel. It is very spacious and has plenty of sun lounges offering both sunny and shaded spots throughout the day. Surrounded by beautiful, immaculately maintained gardens, you have a feeling of space often lacking in some hotel pools. The towels were large and soft and readily available, the pool attendants seemed to anticipate when you needed a dry towel and magically appeared with one!! There is plenty on offer to eat and drink poolside making it was very enjoyable to spend a day there.
The property is an easy 5 min walk to Orchard Rd for shopping and eating. Taxies are readily available for trips further afield, and a courtesy shuttle bus runs to the Orchard MRT every hour.
This hotel is with out doubt the best I have stayed in when in Singapore. Its location and amenities suited our needs beyond our expectations; but the true joy is in its people. :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
4  Thank Panda3820
Write a ReviewReviews (5,129)

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We had an absolutely wonderful stay in the quieter Valley Wing. Room was excellent and deserves the 5-star rating, as did the attentiveness of the staff. This meets the definition of grand, stately luxury.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WElmore
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have been staying at Shangri-La hotels for quite some time now in different countries.

So no surprises there for the luxurious and glamorous lobby architecture.
However, it was obvious that the hotel was not very new when I arrived at the room.

Wish it would look more well maintained.

One thing that surprises me was, the bellboy stood there waiting for a tip when I didn't really plan to give one at that time, as I know I didn't have small change, only money in 100 dollars amount.

I stayed at Ritz only few days before and the bellboy did not wait for a tip.
And soon after I got change, I went and gave it to him.

I wanted to do the same at Shang but the bellboy really made me feel uncomfortable.
I felt that waiting for a tip is really rude, especially when you say you don't have small change or it was obvious that you don't plan to give one.

I don't think tipping is a must, it is just gratitude from the guests and it's not an obligation.

However, I still think that Shang is a lovely place, only thing is that it's located too far from the MRT station.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 939cyl
SLSGM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback via Tripadvisor, and for being a friend of Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts. I am truly concerned by your comment about our bellboy. May I please request that you contact me directly so that I can apologise to you in person, and at the same time, find out more details about your visit? My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in the Club Rooms. The room was spacious and comfortable with nice views. Swimming pool was beautiful and clean. However the best part of the hotel that we discovered was the Blu bar. Amazing views and the best bartenders in Singapore. The bartenders Noel, Surendran and Neminda made the best cocktails we have ever tasted, gave us great advice on things to see and do in Singapore and provided the friendliest service I have ever received in a hotel bar. The Blu Bar is well worth a visit, even if you don't stay in the hotel - it is world class.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Ash

Thank you for your kind recommendation! I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay at The Horizon Club. Please be assured that I will share your compliments with my team, especially the bartenders at BLU Bar.

I look forward to welcoming all of you back soon!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in the Valley Wing which was top notch, the staff couldn't do enough for you and there was basically champagne on tap! A lovely breakfast, gorgeous afternoon tea and great canapés in the evening were all included.
The room was spacious and had everything you might need, the bed was very comfortable, the mini bar was very well stocked and the bathroom was large with double sinks an desperate bath and shower.
We ate at the buffet restaurant which had a great selection and also ordered room service a couple of times, the food was very good quality with a good choice of Asian and Western dishes.
The pool was large with a separate kids pool and a whirlpool, there was loads of space to sunbathe including a lovely grassed area.
I was presented with an orchid when we checked in which I thought was a lovely touch.
Overall a wonderful stay, we will definitely return.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mim74

Dear guest

Many thanks for your lovely review via Tripadvisor! I am truly glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay at the Valley Wing, our ultimate sanctuary. All lady guests receive a spray of our very own Shangri-La orchids. I am happy to know that you appreciated it.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We always enjoy staying at Shangri-La Hotels, but this hotel is the finest five star hotel we have ever stayed in - everthing was perfect. Exemplary service - thank you Carol, Hari, Mikhail and Raj(?) and the rest of the team for looking after us; we felt truly pampered and cocooned from the outside world the moment we walked through the door into the Valley Wing. The standard of service, housekeeping, and hospitality was discreet and to an exceptional standard that would be difficult to be surpassed; it could not be faulted. Beautiful food, catering for gluten intolerance at short notice. The only place to stay in Singapore, and don't forget to book the limo service - a must after a 12 hour flight and starts and finishes your stay in the perfect way.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ManagerBelairePlace

Dear guest

Many thanks for your compliments via Tripadvisor! Positive feedback is very important to us, especially from loyal friends of Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts. Please be assured that your praises will be shared with the Valley Wing team.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Be sure to stay here, the place is amazing and the staff are incredible such lovely rooms and nothing is to much trouble.
Well worth the money.
Go for a swim and see wildlife climbing the trees, a lovely breakfast and very quiet at night.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leanne M

Dear Leanne

Thank you for your kind recommendation and compliments! I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your Shangri-La experience, as well as the chance to meet our resident squirrels.