“Superb Stay”

Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
Ranked #11 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed in a Garden Wing Pool View Deluxe room for three nights. Check-in was handled very efficiently, with very friendly service, and we were shown some of the hotel facilities before being guided to our room. The rooms were large, modern and very clean with lovely views of the pool area from our balcony. We took advantage of the complimentary cocktails and canapés, which were available during the early evening with a Garden View room.
We had breakfast twice in the Waterfall Cafe. Our first experience was very good, with quick and impeccable service, and lovely food. However, our second visit was not as amazing - the service this time was actually fairly poor, and it took considerably longer for the food to be delivered.
As for the in-hotel restaurants, we dined in both the Line and Shang Palace. We dined at the Line on our first evening, and the experience was somewhat mixed. We opted for the a la carte option; the food was average, but service again lacked - it must have taken about half an hour to get the cheque. We very much enjoyed the food in the Shang Palace, and this was complimented with good service. We had drinks in the lobby bar every evening, and this was a wonderful - live jazz singing, fantastic service in a truly majestic lobby.
The hotel provides a bus transfer every hour to Orchard Road, one of the main shopping destinations in Singapore. Taxis are available from the hotel's forecourt, however we were sometimes waiting a while due to a long queue and shortfall of taxis. The hotel is a little out of the way from the city, but isn't more than a 10 minute taxi ride from anything really.
Overall, a fantastic experience, and I would most definitely return.

1  Thank Josh M
SLSGM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Josh

Thank you for sharing your review via Tripadvisor! While I am glad to learn that your stay at Garden Wing and dining experiences are generally positive, I am concerned by your comments about The Waterfall and The Line.

May I please request that you contact me directly so that I can find out more details about your experiences? My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

I hope to hear from you soon.

Vice President and General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,129)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The cleanliness & upkeep left a lot to be desired. The sheets on our bed had holes in them. Clearly were well worn and need to be replaced. There was excessive amounts of mould in the shower base & on the walls. The room smelt like damp mould. Overall the place needs a refurbishment looking tired. The buffet breakfast was very large but food lacked any flavour. Reported the issues to management & they responded. Wouldn't stay here again if I was to return.

3  Thank Robert3181

Dear Robert

Thank you for sharing your feedback via Tripadvisor. I am truly sorry that your Shangri-La experience fell short of expectations. If you have further suggestions or observations to share with me, please feel free to contact me directly. My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

From check in to check out we were treated with impeccable service by friendly and efficient staff. The grand foyer is mesmerising, with chandeliers, fresh orchards and smiling faces. Every staff member greets you and makes eye contact and offers assistance even if you are walking by. We were remembered by every staff member and were made to feel very welcome right from the start. The pool is very large and accommodating for this extremely busy hotel. Although it is well known as a hotel for the "Corporate Client", it is perfect for families and couples who wan't to relax and treat themselves. We walked to Orchard Road within 5 minutes and only small cab rides (maximum 13 SGD) to visit Newton Circus, Club Street and various other destinations.

We had a premier club room and it was nothing but perfection. The views were lovely, the amenities and services available were perfect. The value is more than there in a club room, as the cost of food/drink in Singapore is quite high, especially alcohol. The staff in the Horizon club are warm and friendly. Sam made sure anything we needed or wanted was available and treated us very well.

The buffet breakfast has every type of food you could possibly want and really gets you ready for the day. The views from the Blu Lounge where breakfast is served are really calming and are a perfect accompaniment. The evening cocktails and canopes on offer are a great way to start the evening.

There was nothing I could fault the Shangri-La on during this stay. Everyone has different personal taste, but after 5 weeks of travelling this was the ultimate way to end the holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear guest

Many thanks for sharing your general compliments via Tripadvisor! I am heartened to read about your positive experiences at the Horizon Club. Please be assured that your praises will be shared with my team, especially Sam.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My initial reservation was a Garden Wing Deluxe City View room but upgraded to the Horizon Club room for a nominal fee.

Club Room
Very impressed by the quick preparation of the upgraded room. Very spacious and clean. My kid was also given a welcome gift from hotel and a child-friendly showering set. The unblock view from my room over looking the part of Orchard area was therapeutic .

Horizon Club
Visit to the Horizon Club at 24th floor was not really ideal although the reception at Horizon Club was very friendly and even recognised us on our return visit to the club at night. They served tea from 11am - 5pm and cocktails were served until 8.30pm. The selection of food is very limited. However there are plenty of tables and comfortable chairs for you to relax in a quiet environment. We were slightly disappointed with the service of the servers at the club as they did not seem to be interested in attending to us.

The Line Buffet
We also had breakfast at The Line, one of the popular hotel buffet line in Singapore. Be prepared to wait for a while if you plan to have breakfast from 9am onwards. I would say the variety of food is very good, ranging from Western bacon, sausages, pastries to Chinese noodles, dim sum to Indian curries, pratas etc.

Facilities
I cannot comment much as I only visited the pool which is great. The pool is divided into a few sections: Baby pool with fountain, Toddler pool < 1m, Jacuzzi pool and the standard pool with ascending water depth. Plenty of sun beds to rest and the lifeguards were always looking out for safety of the swimmers.

1  Thank Mr_ATan

Dear Mr_ATan

Thank you for your very thoughtful review via Tripadvisor! While I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your family staycation at our hotel, I am very concerned to read your comments about the Horizon Club.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I'm a regular to Shangri-La hotels around Asia and this was my first stay in the Singapore Shangri-La, the original. You can tell that this one is older but it still has its elegance and grandeur.

We stayed for one night on our way back from Bali to the UK. We were immediately greeted by Front of House as soon as we stepped out of the taxi and chaperoned to the reception desk. The employees were attentive, smiley and polite. Our check-in was very efficient and for the 3rd time in a row with the Shangri-La we were upgraded. I don't know if this is a policy for Golden Circle members (which I am) but it is such an excellent customer experience, I'm very grateful for this. Our room was comfortable, stylish and clean, no complaints.

We had breakfast included and it is one of the best breakfasts I have ever had in any hotel in any country. There is a massive choice of cuisines. I didn't experience much service from the waiters but I didn't mind as it is buffet style. They cater for every taste and the quality is excellent. I didn't know where to start or where to finish!

The doormen would arrange taxis and in the early evening as we were waiting for the taxi to arrive we were given a glass of champagne (compliments of the hotel). There is also a free shuttle bus to take you to the nearest metro/underground stations and to the departments stores on Orchard Rd.

Wonderful hotel and I look forward to staying again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeremy H

Dear Jeremy

Many thanks for your positive review via Tripadvisor! Golden Circle members are our most valued, loyal guests. I am very happy to know that you are one of them.

Your feedback was most encouraging. Please know that your compliments are much appreciated and will be shared with my team, especially the chefs and doormen.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your 2nd visit!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

this hotel always provides you a cozy and comfortable stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Not good service, not warm welcome and not professional service or breakfast service staff, the billing was incorrect. I dont feel welcome at all and unlikely to return or recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business