“Lovely place to stay, slightly remote though”

Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
Ranked #9 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
“Lovely place to stay, slightly remote though”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel! The room was nice but so it should be for what you pay. It was our honeymoon so we got a complimentary bottle of wine.

Good food at the restaurants albeit really really expensive. The pool is lovely. It was a little too far from the main part of Singapore for us but you can catch a taxi anywhere quickly and cheaply.

My biggest gripe was the add ons. For example my husband went to hair salon and was told $40 for some haircut but they charged him $80. I had the sane experience in the nail salon. Was told $110 for mani pedi but was charged $270, ridiculous!!

Most staff were lovely, some not as much as others.

Stayed August 2014
SLSGM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Diana

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your honeymoon at our hotel! I am very concerned by your feedback about the salons. Also, I would like to find out more details about your experiences with my colleagues.

May I please request that you contact me directly so that I can apologise to you in person, and at the same time, find out more details? My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com.

Vice President and General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (989)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Took the plunge and decided to invest in a Shangrila experience in SIngapore for our anniversay. We stayed at the Valley WIng, yes it is more dated and more old school but sometimes that is what one needs. It was not the hippest nor "coolest" of hotels in the area but in terms of quality of service, attention to detail and caring for guests - there are 2 places in South East Asia that I can vouch for, El Nido Resorts in Palawan and the Shangri La in SIngapore.

The staff, and in a hotel a big part of the experience really depends on how the hotel personnel treats you, and in this regard the team at the Shang in SIngapore is tops. The anticipation of one's needs and the manner of service execution was just amazing. The very traditional afternoon tea and cocktail service was a welcome rememberance of a more formal past and was a welcome change from our normal routine.

A definite must do if you are in SG and looking for a means to get away from the maddening tourist shopping rush or the casino induced crowds in certain areas. One of the most private and quiet sanctuaries in SG that as a visitor we have found.

Room Tip: The Valley Wing is a unique experience
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Titos C
Dear Titos

Happy anniversary again! Many thanks for your kind recommendation via Tripadvisor. I am truly happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay at The Valley Wing, our ultimate sanctuary. Please know that your compliments are very much appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming both of you back soon!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here over the weekend for a corporate event. The room paid for by the company of course so it is possible that the review would be different if I was paying myself. The hotel is very nice and it truly is a 5-star hotel. Service here is impeccable and you can experience it every single one of their staff whether it’s the person who cleans the room, the hotel porter, the front desk, the waiter, etc. Given that the hotel has quite a large number of guest, I imagine that maintaining that level of service is not easy. Another thing I noted was 2 lifeguards on duty at the swimming pool and they actively approach guests when they note safety issues, e.g. children going towards the deep end of the pool, dangerous play in the water, etc. This is definitely something I’ve never seen at other hotels and I was impressed. The façade of the hotel looks quite old, however the inside and the area with the swimming pool are beautiful. The property is quite large and it feels like a resort; that's quite incredible when you realize that the hotel is next to Orchard Road! The rooms are big and to me, looks a little bit old, but very well kept and certainly nothing to complain about. This is one of those areas where I might feel different if I paid for it myself.

Before you decide to stay here, I would like to highlight two inconveniences I noted. Firstly, if you want a convenient location, i.e. somewhere that is within walking distance to conveniences, shopping centres or attractions, this hotel is not for you. The hotel is not near any Train Station and does not have any bus stops nearby. There are no conveniences nearby at all (e.g. 7-11). It is at least a 20 minute walk to the start of orchard road (honestly it’s probably longer unless you walk super-fast). Also, the start of orchard road doesn’t really have much to see or do, so you really need to get into the middle are which I guess would take an additional 25 minutes at least. On top of that, there is no pedestrian walkway leading out of the hotel, i.e. you have to walk on the road if you want to get out of the hotel on foot. I was told they have a shuttle bus into the city (orchard road I presume?) and there’s a taxi queue as well; that’s still not as convenient as walking though.

The second inconvenience is the breakfast at “The Line”. We went for breakfast at “The Line” just before 8am and we were seated right away, although we noticed that the restaurant was already almost full capacity. While we were eating and even after we finished our meal just before 9am, we noted a long queue of guests waiting to be seated. My gripe here is simple, if I was paying (it was free for us) to stay at the Shangri La and paying for breakfast at “The Line”, I would be extremely unhappy if I had to queue and wait to be seated for breakfast. It really defeats the whole purpose of having breakfast at the hotel. I did notice another restaurant called “Waterfall” which didn’t have much of a crowd, so that might be an alternative to consider.

2 Thank 555_Travel
Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful review via Tripadvisor. Safety and well-being of our guests are of paramount importance. I am very happy to know that you have appreciated the presence of additional lifeguards at our pool.

Please know that your feedback are very much appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Riyadh
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Excellent and extremely professional team. Very welcoming and warm at atmosphere. Room was more than beautiful. If u ask for tips and directions to go in Singapore, everyone on the hotel would provide help and tips.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

1 Thank Louay A
Dear Louay

Many thanks for your positive review via Tripadvisor! I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your Shangri-La experience. I look forward to welcoming both of you back soon!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 July 2014

One word: Staff.

Unwelcoming, cold, stern, and absolutely just not smart with their verbiage.

I am just being nice with the review here, but in the in-house survey sent to my email, I was very harsh with the staff and the way they carry themselves.

Luckily, hotel management is trained properly and know how to cater to guest request easily. Thanks Yoshita.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

1 Thank gfok
Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your review via Tripadvisor and our online survey. I am truly sorry that your Shangri-La experience fell short of expectations. My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com. Please feel free to write to me directly should you wish to highlight further observations or suggestions.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed in a Garden Wing Pool View Deluxe room for three nights. Check-in was handled very efficiently, with very friendly service, and we were shown some of the hotel facilities before being guided to our room. The rooms were large, modern and very clean with lovely views of the pool area from our balcony. We took advantage of the complimentary cocktails and canapés, which were available during the early evening with a Garden View room.
We had breakfast twice in the Waterfall Cafe. Our first experience was very good, with quick and impeccable service, and lovely food. However, our second visit was not as amazing - the service this time was actually fairly poor, and it took considerably longer for the food to be delivered.
As for the in-hotel restaurants, we dined in both the Line and Shang Palace. We dined at the Line on our first evening, and the experience was somewhat mixed. We opted for the a la carte option; the food was average, but service again lacked - it must have taken about half an hour to get the cheque. We very much enjoyed the food in the Shang Palace, and this was complimented with good service. We had drinks in the lobby bar every evening, and this was a wonderful - live jazz singing, fantastic service in a truly majestic lobby.
The hotel provides a bus transfer every hour to Orchard Road, one of the main shopping destinations in Singapore. Taxis are available from the hotel's forecourt, however we were sometimes waiting a while due to a long queue and shortfall of taxis. The hotel is a little out of the way from the city, but isn't more than a 10 minute taxi ride from anything really.
Overall, a fantastic experience, and I would most definitely return.

1 Thank Josh M
Dear Josh

Thank you for sharing your review via Tripadvisor! While I am glad to learn that your stay at Garden Wing and dining experiences are generally positive, I am concerned by your comments about The Waterfall and The Line.

May I please request that you contact me directly so that I can find out more details about your experiences? My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

Prahran, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The cleanliness & upkeep left a lot to be desired. The sheets on our bed had holes in them. Clearly were well worn and need to be replaced. There was excessive amounts of mould in the shower base & on the walls. The room smelt like damp mould. Overall the place needs a refurbishment looking tired. The buffet breakfast was very large but food lacked any flavour. Reported the issues to management & they responded. Wouldn't stay here again if I was to return.

3 Thank Robert3181
Dear Robert

Thank you for sharing your feedback via Tripadvisor. I am truly sorry that your Shangri-La experience fell short of expectations. If you have further suggestions or observations to share with me, please feel free to contact me directly. My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon.