“Great Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
England
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2007

We stayed at the Shangri-la for 3 nights in September as part of our honeymoon.
We booked a room in the tower wing and were given a room over looking the pool. We were very impressed with the welcome and the room was nicely furnished and clean. As it was our honeymoon, the bed had been decorated with rose petals in the shape of a heart and a single red rose was placed on each pillow. We were also given a celebratory chocolate cake which went down very well.
As this was a city break in between two beach locations, we spent little time at the hotel, in favour of shopping.
We found Singapore very expensive, with shops and restaurants on Orchid Road very overpriced compared to American cities.
The main shopping area is only a 10 minute walk away, but the shangri-la offers a free shuttle bus which is great after a long day of shopping.
We visited Sentosa Island on the evening excursion which we both thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend. We also visited the Singapore Zoo, which is well worth a visit too.
Overall, the Shangri-la is a very nice hotel, in a good location. If we ever visited Singapore again, I would definately think about staying here again.

• Liked — Location to the shopping Malls
  • Disliked — Food and Drink a little overpriced
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank me-and-him2006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2007

We spent a great 7 days here, in a valley wing room, over Xmas. The quality of the service, the rooms & the food is superb. Certainly, the luxury of the valley wing with its champagne, high tea & canapés added to the whole feel.

We love Singapore, & have been a couple of times – I will be adding a suggested “to do” list of things we have enjoyed doing.

Having stayed in other hotels, this is now our favourite.

The sheer customer focussed service, from all, the maids who clear the rooms, the reception staff, the restaurant staff & in the valley wing lounge, Edward & Lawrence is first rate.

• Liked — rooms & food
  • Disliked — Pool (a bit small)
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
8 Thank RailwayMan
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2006

My wife and I stopped in this hotel for seven nights on route to Australia. We were influenced by the reviews on this site and were able to book a bed and breakfast package at a very competetive rate via trailfinders in the UK. Having stayed at many different hotels around the world I have to say that the quality and service provided by the Shangri La is exceptional. Every member of staff was polite and helpful at all times and the breakfast at the line restaurant has to be seen to be believed. We stayed in a tower room which was excellent value and I was advised by other guests staying in the garden and valley wings that they were better again. The hotel is a five minute walk from the bustling Orchard Road and about ten minutes from the nearest tube station. That said the hotel provide a complimentary shuttle bus once an hour and the taxi's are inexpensive and readily available at the front entrance. In conclusion you would have to have incredibly high standards to be disappointed with this hotel and I for one will book again when I return.
Chris M, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, UK

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — The Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Take the breakfast option if offered
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
10 Thank xmas2213
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2006

Stayed there for 3 nights in Singapore for business trip. The hotel has the grandeur of a 5-star hotel in the 80s...and is situated in a very vast piece of land, given its location to be quite near to Orchard Road.

The room in the Tower Wing was supposingly renovated, but still looks and feel a bit old, and smelled a bit stuffy.

We walked to the Valley Wing where they offered us free champagne and high tea at the lobby. Shangri-La seems to love doing this concept of having a high-end boutique hotel placed in their traditional big hotels.

The cafe "The Line" is a brand-new restaurant with nice white decor. It offers a very nice buffet with both Western and local food. Well worth a try.

My only advice is to stay in the Garden or Valley Wing. Personally I prefer to stay in the Fullerton for business.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Old decor in the Tower Wing
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in Valley Wing or Garden Wing for better rooms and service
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
19 Thank CheeryGirl
Bridgwater, Somerset UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2006

We booked the Shangri La based mainly on the consistently good feedback on this site. We were therefore expecting our experience to be 'top notch'. We stayed for 4 nights at the end of September in a Horizon Club room in the Tower wing. We chose to upgrade on booking as, with breakfast included, it made sense for us. From the moment we arrived to the final minute of our departure I can honestly say that the service we received was outstanding. Many organisations here in the UK talk about exceeding customers' expectations - I worked for one until recently - the Shangri La doesn't just talk about it, they do it - all the time! I could list numerous examples, but suffice it to say that when we stupidly left our digital camera in the back seat of a taxi ,the efforts they made to help us get it back were amazing. This was problem ownership at the highest level, the best I have ever experienced. The service quality throughout the hotel was second to none. The Horizon Club was well worth booking - the 'free' cocktails and canapes were outstanding.
We were scheduled to checkout around 6am to catch our next flight and we were casually chatting about how sorry we were to be missing the breakfast experience. On hearing this, Charles, the assistant Chef was there waiting at the Horizon Club checkout at 5.30 with a bag of goodies so that we didn't miss out. I need say no more....

• Liked — Outstanding Service and overall quality. The room and the bed in particular
  • Disliked — Nothing at all
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy the experience. Yes, the food and drinks are pricey, but do it any way!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
20 Thank BobBux
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2006

We chose the Shangri-La for a five-night stay in Singapore because of all the consistent praise on TripAdvisor. And we were not disappointed.

There is something truly special about the service at this hotel. They sure know how to read eye contact and be there the second you want something -- and leave you in peace when you do not.

We were tourists in Singapore, so we would spend all morning running around various neighborhoods and sites. Given the intense heat of the city, we would spend lunch looking forward to getting back in the afternoon to our perfect little oasis at the Shangri-La pool.

We stayed in the Garden wing, where the room was beautiful and every amenity perfectly in place.

After our five-night stay, we went on a four-day side trip, then returned to the Shangri-La for one final night before returning home. We had booked the Garden Wing again but were upgraded to a Horizon Club room. This room was so large and luxurious that we were almost sick to have only one night. I suspect the hotel does that kind of thing to lure you back for another stay -- and it sure might work!

• Liked — Great service, wonderful pool
  • Disliked — Slightly out of the way
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ProNomad33062
Makati, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2006

The company booked me in this hotel since the conference would be here aswell. Prior to my stay at Shangri-La I had a fabulous time at the Grand Hyatt (Personal Expense). Before the trip I was actually deciding between Shangri-La or Grand Hyatt, but the agency was charging me over $300 US since they booked me at the Garden Wing...which made me decide to just go for Grand Hyatt and move to Shangri-La lateron, anyway so I was pretty confident that I'll get a decent room when I transfer since they booked me at the Garden Wing, but when I checked in I was informed that I was at the Tower Wing...but since the company was paying for it, I never bothered to argue anymore.

When I entered the room, The gave me two beds, which house keeping fixed immediately. The room was stuffy...and it was totally not what I expected. I've seen older Shangri-La rooms at Mactan but they were still okay, this one really sucked.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled on business