“fantastic”

Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
Ranked #11 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 12 December 2010

this hotel is just fantastic lovely attentive staff super clean very near all amenities good pool area where they bring you water to drink good resturant for breakfast or dinner

1  Thank lavinalincolnuk

Reviewed 3 December 2010

I stayed in Shangri-La Hotels several times in other cities with wonderful memories but this was the first time I stayed in Shangri-La Singapore. Before telling my bad experience I need to mention the good things first. The bed was very comfortable and I had good sleep every night after working busily for a whole day. The breakfast was great with various choices. The staff was polite, particularly those helpful guys at the taxi stand and inside the lobby.

I stayed there for 3 nights for a business trip at the end of November. As the booking was tight the staying plan was different in these 3 nights: it was cheaper with no breakfast for the first night. During check-in I was told that I needed to check out on next morning in order to change to another plan. I asked if I could have the same room coz I didn't want to pack my luggage (not to mention it's more expensive for the next two nights) but the lady said "no, coz the plan would be upgraded". Okay. I understood. On next morning at the check-out counter I was told to go back to my room!!! After a time-consuming check-out and check-in procedure I went back to the original room...for an "upgraded" plan with breakfast and fruit and drinks.

In the second night when I went back from work, late at night, after unpacking my luggage, I found there was no fruit for me. Two handkerchieves were missing but one more medium sized towel was found. I consumed two tea bags in the morning but no one brought them back to me. As no one told me where to have breakfast and drinks, I phoned to the front desk. During the conversation the line was cut but no one called me back. I was too tired to call again so I hurried to bed after a shower.

In the third night I saw two bananas in the room. They finally remembered it!! The missing tea bags still hadn't returned. The two handkerchieves came back and the third medium-sized towel had gone. However, something was found on the floor of the bathroom: glass fragments!! Didn't the one who broke the glass know this may hurt when someone stepped on it with bare feet???? Another thing was that I brought my own toothbrush with a little plastic case covering the brush but someone threw the case away.

My good memories with "Shangri-La" in other cities were ruined after this stay...

Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank CoolHusky
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Stayed at the Shangri La for two nights on route to Oz as a start to our holiday. What a great hotel much nicer then we expected. As it was our first time in Singapore Raffles was first choice,but this was fully booked. As you do we went to the long bar for the obligatory "sinagapore sling" after visiting how glad we were to be staying at the Shangri La the gardens where beautiful and the hotel secluded and private, unlike Raffles which seemed more of a theme park.. We would definitely stay again, from check iin to leaving the staff and service where excellent.

1  Thank lancsprop1
Reviewed 27 November 2010

We stayed 2 nights and were booked into Horizon Club room with all the benefits of breakfast included and free drinks and canopes in the evening,. All excellent. we had a city view room which was fine. Room was excellent and all the expectations of a 5 star hotel. The staff were extremely helpful. Short 10 minute walk to Orchard Road the main shopping street so very easy. Enjoyed our time in SInapore, highly recommend the Botanical Gardens, and we visited the main temples etc which was all very interesting. Little India and Kampong Glam were well worth a visit. Free internt access very good. The outdoor pool was lovely and we were given a free icecream whilst relaxing. Try and find a small eating place instead of a posh restaurant as food can be exceptional for a small cost. We went up the Sands Sky Park to observation deck - this has to be done and far better than the wheel, highly recommended.

1  Thank artofeffectiveliving
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Recently stayed 2 nights at the Shangrila in the Tower wing and the room was nice with a lovely view over the pool. The service was outstanding from the moment we arrived. The staff could not do enough to make sure you were always looked after. Location is handy to orchard road. The facilities are terrific with a resort pool and spacious grounds. You must have dinner at the tides buffet restaurant. The buffet is the best I have ever had with an amazing variety of foods to choose from.
Well done Shangrila, we look forward to our next visit.

1  Thank Phil012
Reviewed 23 November 2010

This hotel is pure luxury, the rooms are large very well maintained and clean. The bed was massive, and the bathroom was big -shower and bath separate, and it was very clean. The reception area is huge and very spacious, everyone is very helpful and polite. The garden and pool area are beautiful very well kept. The food in the hotel (we were bed and breakfast) was lovely and a truely a wonderful selection. We also had a lunch around the pool which was also of very high quaility. I cannot wait to go back. The hotel is in a really good area to be able to get around singapore.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Phillipsclan
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We spent 5 nights at this hotel in a Horizon Club Room with all the little extras that come with it - worth every penny! From arriving to leaving it was hard to find fault with any of the facilities. The room on the 19th floor, was spotless, comfortable and had an amazing view - but have to say lacked the wow factor - actually thought it was a little on the small side in comparison to other Shangrila Hotels. The Horizon Club Lounge on the 24th floor was fantastic, serving beverages and snacks all day, then in the evening from 6-8 you can have canapes and cocktails - all beautifully presented and really yummy! We had breakfast on 4 mornings in the Blu Restuarant again on the 24th floor - lots of choice, hot and delicious not forgetting the spectacular view over the city! We tried The Line one morning, but thought it very noisy, bit like a canteen, loads of choice but the food we had was only warm! As other guests have mentioned, the pool area was lovely and we were given sorbet, fresh fruit plus cold drinks. We also had a foot massage by Jacky (not complimentary) which was superb! Also must mention the gardens which were beautifully kept! Watch out for mozzies, if you play golf in the hotel grounds - it had rained quite heavily the night before so they were out in force just in that area!! We enjoyed the 10 min walk to Orchard Road, with the MRT station a little futher on. The MRT is very efficent, cheap and super clean! Taxis also provide a very good service and very reasonable! Must do's - Marina Bay Sands and Skypark - amazing view, beautiful Botanic Gardens and the wonderful Chinatown! Singapore is a beautiful, friendly and very clean city - we absolutely loved it!
Have to finish by saying the staff at the Shangrila Hotel are absolutely wonderful, friendly, efficient and always have a smile! We just loved our stay at this hotel and would definitely return.

1  Thank toohardtoplease